Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Easy Terry, I think we both know where this could be going, BB has to find out for himself.
Finished up selling my last to someone who had the time, undercover space and enthusiasm to repair it. I lost out financially but we were happy enough with all the fantastic holidays we had had plus "it had gone to a good home" ...:cry:
Lesson learnt.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Easy Terry, I think we both know where this could be going, BB has to find out for himself.
Finished up selling my last to someone who had the time, undercover space and enthusiasm to repair it. I lost out financially but we were happy enough with all the fantastic holidays we had had plus "it had gone to a good home" ...:cry:
Lesson learnt.:thumb:

Yep but people are telling him to buy £70 plus damp meters :Eeek:70 quid would buy him the boards and stuff to do the job :Doh: A day or two at the most and his damp would be gone :thumb:
Although the damp meter would come in handy for his next purchase :winky:
terry

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Lo guys,yes I shall get a damp meter but I dont thinks its gonna be much use for a while. As for where its going,my gut feeling is its caught in time.As the weather forecast is so bad I have not removed the roofvent today, I decided to do a couple of internal jobs instead. Terry no matey I dont need a souwester its been boiling in there today lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Well on Sunday I took the vent out,found the cause of water infiltration.....screw holes without screws being substituted with a blob of silicone sealant. I pulled up the sheet roof and wedged it..some condensation type drippers on metalwork,but could have been condensation .The hardboard skin was intact and not in too bad condition..Praise be...So I sprayed a litre of timber treatment all round,knocked up a new ,better fitting hatch out of some nice hardwood and replaced the vent.Fingers crossed all will be ok.When the weather turns nice I will pop it out again and recheck,and pump another load of treatment in.So back to potching about inside,finished off the carbon fibre,adding lighting and powerpoints.Hoping to get away on the 25th for Donnas birthday...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Was there any insulation?
Sorry to say this but your idea of curing damp is to add another litre of liquid :Doh:
Get your heaters and dehumidifier working overtime::bigsmile:
I suggest a name change to bodger bulldog:Smile::winky:
Terry

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
What do you suggest I do then clever dick...bring it in and put it next to the fire as a dehumidifier wont work in this weather.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
What do you suggest I do then clever dick...bring it in and put it next to the fire as a dehumidifier wont work in this weather.

I suggest you stop calling people who are offering free advise CLEVER DICK :Angry:
Try looking back at all the advise given and you will soon realize that you are taking no notice of all the people's advice and you are ploughing on with your own agenda :Doh:If that's the way you want to go why bother asking for advice? Why not simply post what is wrong with your van
I.E. leaking and I am going to dry it out with heater and dehumidifier :thumb: but I am not going to investigate how far the damps gone because it's easier to simply dry it and all will be well :Doh:
Even after this you say you lifted the outer skin and could see water droplets or condensation :Doh:To put this in simple terms for you to understand it should not be there :Doh: hence question on insulation?
Never mind as a previous poster said Let him find out himself :Smile:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

One thing for certain is you won`t cure the problem by closing it all up without knowing how far the damp has penetrated, mildew spores will form anywhere there is damp (condensation) and warm air, what you need to do is strip out all the affected wood back to sound unaffected areas then repair the source of the damp ingress.

You might think you are fixing it with this short cut disturb as little as possible approach but if you haven`t got all the affected wood out it will most certainly return.

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Great advice all of it but when its outside covered in 8 inches of snow its not so easy is it. A dehumidifier works best in a warmer environment,its not gonna drag water/damp through any surface if its frozen. If you read the post with your eyes you will see...When the weather turns nice I will pop it out again and recheck,and pump another load of treatment in. As for the condensation...are you really telling me that it doesnt form under a cold metal surface ...I have a steel shed ..the roofs generally wet in that..it doesnt mean its got a hole in it.
As for insulation,thats sandwiched between the hardboard topcoat and the ceiling,I didnt rip that apart as I didnt feel the need or have the time. As for the clever dick remark..you started it Terry lol. dont go losing sleep over it fella

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi BBD I won't loose any sleep over it :winky: after all it's not my van ::bigsmile:
You will probably find with your type of boarding you can remove it easy without damage ::bigsmile:
BTW we never bodge :Eeek: only modify :thumb:
terry
EDIT forgot to say the insulation should be stuck /stuffed tight to your outer skin stopping any condensation

Last edited:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Good luck with your motorhome repairs BB, I do hope that you get a good number of years more use out of it, as did I with my last, before it fell apart due to the damp.
This is my final contribution to this thread...:Smile:

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Hi BBD I won't loose any sleep over it :winky: after all it's not my van ::bigsmile:
You will probably find with your type of boarding you can remove it easy without damage ::bigsmile:
BTW we never bodge :Eeek: only modify :thumb:
terry
EDIT forgot to say the insulation should be stuck /stuffed tight to your outer skin stopping any condensation

This one doesnt seem to be constructed in that way,the insulation is sandwiched between the 2 layers of hardboard,the lower being the inside ceiling the upper having the roof sheeting on top of it.Trust me bodging is not what I am trying to achieve,but as I dont have a 12 feet high garage door I have to do what I can in the garden...surely you would agree that its at least better to stop any more water ingress,and bollock something in there to help,as I said peeled back it all looked better than I had imagined it could.Springs not far away , once the weather breaks I can investigate further.For now though its job done methinks.

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Good luck with your motorhome repairs BB, I do hope that you get a good number of years more use out of it, as did I with my last, before it fell apart due to the damp.
This is my final contribution to this thread...:Smile:

Mine isnt falling apart mate lol.Thanks for the help.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you read the post with your eyes you will see...

Calm down. If you try and fight back every time someone posts something you don't like you won't last long round here. You'll either be banned or go mad. We all fail to read posts properly some of the time and anyone joining mid thread misses out earlier comments. Learn to live with it.

Pick and choose what advice you want to take up. Be very careful rejecting advice, some of it will be excellent. Some will be crap.

I must say the remark about curing damp by making it damper sounded logical, it certainly looks a good idea to use the minimum to protect the wood and essential to give a way to dry before you encase it.

Living on the Pennines rotting wood is a hobby of mine. It's always after some part of window and door frames.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Great advice all of it but when its outside covered in 8 inches of snow its not so easy is it. A dehumidifier works best in a warmer environment,its not gonna drag water/damp through any surface if its frozen. If you read the post with your eyes you will see...When the weather turns nice I will pop it out again and recheck,and pump another load of treatment in. As for the condensation...are you really telling me that it doesnt form under a cold metal surface ...I have a steel shed ..the roofs generally wet in that..it doesnt mean its got a hole in it.
As for insulation,thats sandwiched between the hardboard topcoat and the ceiling,I didnt rip that apart as I didnt feel the need or have the time. As for the clever dick remark..you started it Terry lol. dont go losing sleep over it fella

You are correct a dehumidifier would be a waste of time in this weather, though not because of anything being frozen it would just go looking for the easiest moisture to absorb.

Most people read with their eyes, yes your steel shed will have condensation on it, as will any tools left in a garage etc etc, not a perfect scenario by any means but moving air will help here, mine and a few others point is opening up the roof baords will allow air circulate to the affected areas.
Keeping closed up no matter how much treatment you spray is as inaffective as using a dehumidifier.

There is no better way to learn than hands on experience.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This one doesnt seem to be constructed in that way,the insulation is sandwiched between the 2 layers of hardboard,the lower being the inside ceiling the upper having the roof sheeting on top of it.Trust me bodging is not what I am trying to achieve,but as I dont have a 12 feet high garage door I have to do what I can in the garden...surely you would agree that its at least better to stop any more water ingress,and bollock something in there to help,as I said peeled back it all looked better than I had imagined it could.Springs not far away , once the weather breaks I can investigate further.For now though its job done methinks.

Hi BBD as already said the insulation should be stuck to the outer skin :thumb: If its not then condensation will happen,so you need to rectify :Doh: Yep warmer weather not far away :thumb: I too have not got a massive door on my garage so all work is done on drive in all kinds of weather ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
B

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Its not built with insulation stuck under the roof as previously mentioned so theres little that can be done there,I have a pic I took when I removed the vent...Terry you will like this lol..btw guys no arguing here its just banter.:ROFLMAO:
Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is that white thing at the bottom a maggot ::bigsmile::winky:
Terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have a pic I took when I removed the vent..

Oooooooooooo nasty.

Get digging, you've got to find where it ends.

btw guys no arguing here its just banter.:ROFLMAO:

You have to be careful with banter in text, it's so hard to feel what you mean. I should know I've upset enough people round here unintentionally.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it ought to be said that this is what ultimately happens when people walk on the roff of their van. not saying this one was damaged by walking on the roof only pointing out that this is what the damage will look like

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back