advice needed for winter in france (2 Viewers)

craig.drake

Free Member
Oct 3, 2010
queensbury
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since may 2010
hi all
we are going to france in early january would you say we need a generator or is the hook up reliable on aires in winter. in a word do i need to buy a genny to tour france ??

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
From what i hear - a lot of aires close the facilities during the winter months

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Are you planning on staying solely on aires or will it be sites sometimes? I'm not keen on the genny route but others may disagree. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Personally I would not be without a Genny in France in Winter but only because we only use ski Aires.

It will depend on what you want to do but the aires that we visit, you will be the odd one out without a Genny.
But
If you are lucky enough to find an aire, open, with Electric then you won't need one. So it will all depend on where you are going and what you intend on doing?
Try some campsites too, TBH if you find some that are open, you will be amazed at how cheap they will be that time of year compared to Summer, some will be as cheap as an aire with Electric. :Smile:

OP
OP
C

craig.drake

Free Member
Oct 3, 2010
queensbury
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since may 2010
still planning really but thinking of using them till we get south and then use sites

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
still planning really but thinking of using them till we get south and then use sites

Well if your simply overnighting then travelling on, I would go the extra battery route and not bother with a genny. So you stop a night or maybe two, then off you go again then no need for a genny. :thumb:

OP
OP
C

craig.drake

Free Member
Oct 3, 2010
queensbury
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since may 2010
Personally I would not be without a Genny in France in Winter but only because we only use ski Aires.

It will depend on what you want to do but the aires that we visit, you will be the odd one out without a Genny.
But
If you are lucky enough to find an aire, open, with Electric then you won't need one. So it will all depend on where you are going and what you intend on doing?
Try some campsites too, TBH if you find some that are open, you will be amazed at how cheap they will be that time of year compared to Summer, some will be as cheap as an aire with Electric. :Smile:
thanks for that i think it would be a wise investment.from the research ive done open sites are few and far between ,but its new to me ive never been abroad with my motorhome before, btw good luck with the run ,from a fellow running addict,

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
do i need to buy a genny to tour france ??

We can't answer that. I know that on the move we need no generator or solar, the engine does the charging. We can manage 4 days on a charge.

But how frugal are you with electricity ? We have no idea.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

How far "south" do you intend to go?

Amicalement

frankie:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
thanks for that i think it would be a wise investment.from the research ive done

Have you researched the charging process ?

Although a modest genny will output 1000W your charger cannot use it, more like only 200W, this gives around 5 hours to charge a battery, you'd better buy a very quiet genny to live with that. Hint - Honda.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we go down to Spain in winter, December / January and only use aires, most village aires have the water shut off and sometimes you find the electric on. :thumb: If you need water stop in one of the aires on the bigger roads that have toilets and the water will be on, but don't overnight on those, use the village aires.::bigsmile:

We don't do rush, so it might take us up to 10 days to get to Spain, we have a 2.0 Honda generator and a set of snow chains and enjoy the trip the same as we do in summer, being prepared is what it's all about.:winky:

The weather in France is very cold, but better if you travel down the west coast.:thumb: Bob.

OP
OP
C

craig.drake

Free Member
Oct 3, 2010
queensbury
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since may 2010
ok weve thought about it and we are going to go to portugal been reading about the algarve and winter touring there sounds right up our street (although dogs dont seem to be very welcome ) we were never going to go abroad in the motorhome when we boght it but hey i cant wait to drive on the wrong side of the road

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Don't mean to be pedantic but driving on the right side of the road is highly recommended..............:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
driving on the wrong side in any country isnt recomended. heehee
my dog loves portugal mind it can be wet and cold there.
just get over the water enjoy it , west coast is better than algarve but can be windy windy in winter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back