Advice in the kitchen department

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by westy407, Aug 11, 2015.

1. westy407

westy407 Funster

How do you pack the kitchen items, plates, mugs, pots and pans etc in the cupboards to stop them moving about. We have just purchased our first Motorhome and have the first 2 weeks off in September and travelling to France with our dog. I will be asking lots of questions before we go. Thank you in advance.

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Tea towels, cheap anti slip matting from pound land etc. we use plastic plates so their not too bad, socks over cups, mugs, glasses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The cupboard where the plates etc live has a built in rack which has slots to hold everything in place. Saucepans and the like are stacked with an anti-slip stuff between everything. Glasses we tend to stack with kitchen roll between them. Tea towels also work for the bigger stuff.

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We just have grip matting in bottom of cupboards and stand everything in cupboards same as at home but with small space to avoid rattles, works fine

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

after your first trip abroad yo will have worked out what things are cheaper here than there so cram the spaces with it . you will also learn whats cheaper there so do the same thing on return .
    if in doubt stay in uk and enjoy the rain . ha ha .

• Like Like x 2
  6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Sometimes you have to take your own steps to alter what is provided
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we use the anti slip roll in between plates, wouldn't dream of using plastic at home so wont when away either

Bev also loves making tubes from cardboard and bubble wrap for anything round like glasses, I 'need' my glass pint pot when away as well

French glass and crockery is amazingly good value though, so if it breaks buy some more, just have fun, turn the radio volume up you will soon not notice the rattles you have not stopped :)

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

get fifth wheeler you dont hear any noise from in the living area.
    also having traveled over mountains deserts tracks bumps etc never had any damage so long as a cupboard door doesnt open .
    dont worry enjoy it . have fun .

• Like Like x 2
  9. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Neoprane ipad / laptop sleeves from the pound shop. Available in several sizes and colours they make great cases for plates, mugs, etc.

10. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

[​IMG]

I just use a couple of these.. the pasta bowls chink a little on bigger bumps but not a problem.. cups etc on the poundland non slip matting already mentioned

11. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

we just pack things tight. in bubble wrap.

12. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Non slip matting
    Neoprene for glasses
    Mugi for mugs
    Tupperwear boxes for some things
    T towels for other stuff

13. Zoppydog

Zoppydog Funster

I use a paper plate between my plates, a piece of kitchen roll between bowls and each cupboard is lined with not slip matting. Layers of bubble wrap used for oven shelves and pans. We also take spare bubble wrap so the wine doesn't chink on the way home!! We make bottle size tubes!!

14. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

A roll of non slip cut into strips between the plates etc, and the glasses (don't like plastic/acrylic) are rapped in the tea towels and lead down in a draw.

15. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Wine glasses we keep in the box they came in - bought in France not UK; they make boxes that come right up to the top of the glass unlike the UK where you seem to have to buy them loose.

Tumblers, beer glasses & shorts glasses (2 of each) we keep in a "bag for life" wine bag from one of the supermarkets, think it's an Asda one. Use another one to store 6 bottles of wine when we go away in the UK!

Denise

16. westy407

westy407 Funster

Thank you everyone for your great recommendations !

17. Baycott

Baycott Funster

image.jpg image.jpg
    This is my version of crockery security. It is a thick foam with holes cut in it so the mugs fit tightly. Plates are held in by a Fiamma Omni Stop. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. JackieP

JackieP Funster

I use china and real glasses and before I set off I stuff the cushions from the lounge into the cupboards. Never hear a peep when I drive and it's the easiest and fastest way I've ever managed to stop the noise.

I couldn't be assed with all that bubble wrap and foam and packing and unpacking.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

After years of home made quilted bags and slip covers, non-stick matting and so on I decided I couldn't be bothered with it all so simply stacked the (Arcopal) plates and bowls flat on the bottom of the cupboard, as I do at home. Remarkably enough they do not rattle, move around or get broken. The bottom of the cupboard has a piece of rubber mat on it. China mugs go into wire racks on the walls of the cupboard with glass glasses stacked in the top of them. The only thing I have to do is put our 2 stainless steel egg cups into a quilted bag as they "tinkle" at a particular engine speed.

One year in and lots of rough roads and- touch wood- no rattles or breakages.

20. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

We use plastic or tin plates, plastic wine glasses. Use plastic wine glasses at home and plastic stuff in garden so not much different to being in MH as mostly outside, the dogs tails are lethal when it comes to knocking stuff over.
    Ikea drawer sections are good inside cupboard for sectioning off and preventing rattle we use some that zip flat when not in use, handy as various sizes WP_20150813_001.jpg

Lin :)