Advice for winter touring in Europe

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bill and Shell, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Hi guys and gals,

We're busy planning our tour of Europe which will hopefully start next month.
    As we'll be spending time on the continent during winter months, I was hoping somebody might be able to offer some advice on the legal requirements for driving a motorhome through winter.
    We're going to pack snow chains but I was wondering if there's a specific requirement to have snow tyres fitted?
    Also can anybody recommend a guide, if there is such a thing available, to aires, passions etc throughout Europe?

Thanks

2. keith

keith Funster

It will depend on your destinations some countries will have rules on some of the things you mention.
    We have toured around Europe in winter but stay mostly South until March/April then head back North in the spring.
    France is no better than the UK in winter and North Spain has some very high mountains that will produce bad weather at some time during the winter.
    Been doing it for 10 years and never had the need for snow tyres or chains. If it gets bad pull over hunker down and wait until it clears.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

In Germany you will need winter tyres fitted by law.

The Tinca's

4. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Lots of places in northern Italy require Snow Chains to be carried from November to March - having said that they're probably not expensive and may be worth the investnent

5. Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Thanks for your replies, all very helpful.
    As we're hoping to be in Germany for christmas I guess we'd better invest in some winter tyres.
    Are these likely to wear quickly in summer conditions?

6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

7. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Hi Bill and Shell - Hope you enjoy your motorhome travels -
    Winter Tyres - now there is a subject that a lot of us are going to give you different answers as to what might be best. Another post is already running now.
    I think you will find that it is illegal and you may get fined if you get stuck on German roads due to conditions and your tyres -
    So - as suggested - you can sit it out on Stellplatze - campsite - layby etc and you will be legal (i think) But - you have snow chains - if you get really stuck. Answers also depend on the weight of your van - which countries you are travelling in - and possibly some specific routes/passes - Just do lots of research on RAC or AA websites with regard to driving in the countries you are visiting.
    If you are going mostly to the Cities you probably have some choice - If going down to Bavaria and into Austria then yep Winter Tyres are probably very sensible for you.
    As to the wear rate - should be fine - most motorhome tyres get changed due to age I think rather than lack of tread.
    Steve

8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Head south to the sun :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

ive got winter tyres on my van courtesy of armytwowheels the ride is much better than the vancos i had on previously cant comment on wear as they have only just gone on 2000 miles ago

10. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Would definitely consider a winter Waxoyl job if you don't already have one under the van to protect from salt corrosion. Follow the manufacturers advice about doing the floor though.

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The term winter tyres describes tyres which are made with a softer compound. When these first came out they weren't recommended for use in summer but the modern ones can be used all year round, but check the manufacturer's recommendations of course. Winter tyres can have normal tread patterns but they still grip better on snow and ice than a non-winter tyre with a similar tread pattern.

The other type are M+S tyres which have a tread designed to grip in mud and snow. Not all M+S tyres are tested for cold weather, for this you need an M+S tyre which has a snowflake on it.

It is a legal requirement in some places to have M+S tyres fitted but they don't have to have the snowflake but you would be advised to use such tyres if you intended to do a lot of driving in snowy places.

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/car/technology/tyre-knowledge/marking-laws/markings-article

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bill and Shell

Bill and Shell

Thanks for all of your advice, you guys are really helpful.
    After a little more research, it looks like an all season tyre might just do the trick