Jun 27, 2011
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Very nearly owners
Exp
Complete newbie
Hi!
My husband and I are about to collect out first ever motorhome (burstner grand panorama) to hopefully start enjoying time away with our 4 year old. We live in the North East and I was wondering if anyone had any useful ideas for our first weekend away!
I have been researching on campsiteuk, caravan club etc but I have no idea where to start - should we aim for a large site, a smaller one (where we can completely embarrass ourselves with our lack of knowledge???)
I was hoping for somewhere with facilities (showers! toilets ... Nice ones as I cannot believe I have been talked into becoming a motorhome owner:Eeek:) the option of a pub nearby and good walks ... I am thinking perhaps the Lakes as we will be close to the A66 on the Friday we'd aim to "start"
Does anyone have any ideas of a place that might be a gentle introduction so I don't get completely scared off the whole exercise! Any help greatly appreciated ::bigsmile:
Juz

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:This weekend is Goth Weekend at Whitby and will be a great place to see unusual sites for Halloween. A lot of the funsters are going and if you look on the Rallies forum I am sure some of them can tell you where to park .. there may even be a place left for you with them and Bob and Val are lovely people... they will look after you.

Whatever you do... welcome.:thumb:

Upvote 0

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Cannot help you with destinations for your virgin trip, but plenty off folk will be along here soon with so many suggestions that your head will spin ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just wanted to say..... best wishes with your new van, enjoy whatever you do, wherever you do it.

Regards, Bryan

PS: To me the Lakes sound a great idea.

B

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Cannot help you with destinations for your virgin trip, but plenty off folk will be along here soon with so many suggestions that your head will spin ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just wanted to say..... best wishes with your new van, enjoy whatever you do, wherever you do it.

Regards, Bryan

PS: To me the Lakes sound a great idea.

B

Not in a MH the size of theirs it doesn't, not first time out anyway

I would stay local, the caravan club site at Barnard Castle would seem a good option to me

Have fun though wherever

David

Upvote 0
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Just enjoy yourselves and laugh a lot...:thumb:

On our first ever trip my good lady and I started laughing about 4 miles from home as we began to realise what we had forgotten....things like knives and forks :Eeek:...we didnt stop laughing until we were on out way home 3 days later....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We had a fabulous time in a steep learning curve but have continued to enjoy ourselves ever since...continuing to learn...:Doh:

Don't worry one jot about making mistakes or asking fellow campers....we asked a lot on the sites we have been on...and have learnt a great deal...:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Our first trip we stayed local only drove about 30 miles to get there.

We packed everything, (it was an A class with an end kitchen) we took the T V from the spare bedroom along with us, which we stowed under the table.
Motoring around a corner on a very narrow road, a very large Truck came the other way so I had to brake sharply.
The contents of the Kitchen Cupboards and the TV ended up in the cab with a frightening clatter.
Yeh:thumb: it also took us a while top stop laughing as well :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hiya!

Well you'll only use the site loos if you are walking past, no point in having your own en suite facilities (and especially paying that sort of dosh for them)if you aren't going to use them and in any case, you have to try everything and get used to how it all works - and in fact, make sure everything does work to your satisfaction. So you do also need to use your own shower. You certainly won't be trudging over to the site loos in the middle of the night!

Burstner build quality has an excellent reputation - but when you aren't familiar with how any of this 'stuff' is likely to work, there is only one way to find out - manual in hand LOL

I agree that all those narrow roads and picturesque sticky out drystone walls that the Lake District is famous for, do not really seem easy companions for a first time trip in such a large van. Hilldweller - who has had his Burstner for yonks so is quite 'used' to driving it, made a rare error judgment only last weekend when a wall easily won the argument with his rear offside corner. Unfortunately all these smart looking plastic parts on modern vans are also rather expensive ........ and usually lose such 'interfaces' hands down.

Caravan Club sites - most of which are open to non-members at an extra cost, do usually have very good 'facilities' and some even have licensed clubhouses and eateries, with entertainment.

Also some of the Haven campsites have touring pitches, but you do have to check specifically to see which of their leisure facilities are open to tourers in with the price.

You'll need to check opening dates though for any camping at this time of year - not all sites are open all year.

Have a great voyage of discovery!

Upvote 0

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Just had a thought. We bought our first ever van about 3 years ago and our first two day trip was no further than our back garden to try out all this new mysterious stuff. At least when we realised we had forgotten something we did not have far to go to get it !! :ROFLMAO:

Regards, Bryan

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We went 2 miles up the road to a CL just on the outskirts of town.

Main purpose was to see if the beds needed memory foam (they did :Sad:) & to try everything out to see how (& if) it all worked.

The only reason we went that far is because there is nowhere remotely level at home. You are so busy for the first 24hrs with all your attention in & around the van, that you don't really get much chance to admire the scenery!

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
We always stay on the C@C'C at Barnards Castle on the way up north, a lovely town near by. Enjoy, just get out and about with it that is what it is for, and you learn as you go along. Why use site facilities when you have your own?, I always use own shower etc, prefer that.more comfortable than going across a field to get a shower, especially this time of year.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Wow!

That's an impressive first van!

Wherever you spend your first night out, you'll have a good view! You'll have an ideal vantage point for the traditional motorhomer's hobby of watching caravanners pitch up and struggle with their awning!!!!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We always stay on the C@C'C at Barnards Castle on the way up north, a lovely town near by. Enjoy, just get out and about with it that is what it is for, and you learn as you go along. [HI]Why use site facilities when you have your own?,[/HI] I always use own shower etc, prefer that.more comfortable than going across a field to get a shower, especially this time of year.

Beause you pay for them! They are included in the price! Want to use your own? then wild camp!

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Paid for the electric, that is used to heat the water in van, when it`s cold and wet what is better than having a lovely hot shower in your van which is warm and comfortable, anyway I don`t like using site showers, that is why I have my own. I prefer my own facilities, that is what I bought the van for, it is paid for, either way you have paid, my husband calls the attitude "well you have paid for it "a labour mentally, that has opened a can of worms I expect, just passing on his viiew.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Sell the house, disenfranchise any children and set sail for a year-long tour of Europe. Or do as we did, and go for a weekend break at our nearest campsite...

Upvote 0

ben44

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
manchester
Funster No
MH
Ace Award Morningstar
Exp
I'm a newbie
The Lakes sounds like a good plan, beautiful part of the country. However i also think not going too far away for your first trip might also be a good idea! We only popped our motorhoming cherry last month with a trip up to Keswick which is only about an hour away for us but we had another more experienced family showing us the ropes.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back