Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
We're brand new to motor homing having just bought our first small camper an Autotrail trekkerCan anyone give us some advice about the best type of awning to buy?
The camper is fitted with an Omnistor 5200 pull out canopy
Any advice greatly appreciated as we are on our own in terms of friends with campers!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I am sure JC moor home - Peter will be along soon with advice

We're brand new to motor homing having just bought our first small camper an Autotrail trekkerCan anyone give us some advice about the best type of awning to buy?
The camper is fitted with an Omnistor 5200 pull out canopy
Any advice greatly appreciated as we are on our own in terms of friends with campers!

I am sure Peter of John Cross motor homes will be a long before to long to give you some advice on the awning issues. They sell Fiamma and are at many of the shows... otherwise check them on on the internet.. base in Kent.

Bob

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
Hello and welcome to the Fun, they are a helpful and friendly bunch.
Hope you have fun with your Motorhome. someone will be along soon with help
John :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Boy J C motorhomes bit slow off the mark

Boy.. Peter must not be well, .. a golden opportunity and he has not picked up on it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Since joining the Funsters you now have an endless supply of friends with experience of motorhoming!

It might be worth finding out how much you actually NEED an awning before rushing out and buying one. Have you been away in the van yet? If not try a few trips first. We were all for buying one when we first had our M/H but realised that we manage quite well without. We have considered a safari-type arrangement (side and front mesh panels that attach to the wind-out awning) but still can't be sure whether to bother or not.

Motorhoming has some subtle differences from caravanning and I believe that this is one of them. The practicality of repeatedly attatching/detatching an awning doesn't fit in so well with a motorhome as it might when staying pitched on a site for a week or two.

Wyn

OP
OP
D

DoctorD

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Wyn

Thanks for the reply. We've managed 4 weekends so far and were keen to add an awning as we only have a 2 berth camper and feel the extra space would be useful.
i do take your point about the time required however having watched a couple spend 90 mins putting up a large awning at the weekend!

We really want to try and get an uncomplicated, easy to erect, version hence my post to the forum for advice.

Kind Regards
David

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
a drive away type may be the answer for you as its basically a frame / dome tent with an attachment to make it fit the motorhome and most wind out canopies have a channel to slide it into.
and with the drive away kits you just pull a piece out and drive off leaving the awning stood on its own.
although lining the van back up with it can be a bit tricky.

they can be got at reasonable rates second hand too many funsters have bought them to find they don't use them so check the classifieds on the left hand side of the home page.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We really want to try and get an uncomplicated, easy to erect
Kind Regards
David

I don't think they've made that one yet !

The other thing that may surprise you is the weight/bulk of them. Ours has to live in the shower.

If you are stopped for a few days they certainly are great, so far we've never had to take one down in a gale, but dread the thought. I managed to take our drive-away down single handed once ( had to ) but not much chance of erecting it single handed.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hello and welcome
Safari room , Great in the winter-virtually daught proof and we use a small heater luverly.
However, bulky and takes about 20 mins to erect once practised.
Summer time we use windblocker sun shades, fits in a carrier bag apart from two small poles and goes up in five mins without practise.
You pays yer money ect ect

cheers nige

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back