Advice for Newbie!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Bill123, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Bill123

Bill123 Read Only Funster

Hello All!

We are just about to make the leap from narrowboating to motorhoming. Having been boaters, we are used to the space, toilet, water, etc, etc, so don 't envisage that being a problem. We have visited our local dealer, but they all start to look the same after a while!!

We thought we'd narrowed it down, but came home to measure the drive, just to be on the safe side. Have now found it is a bit shorter than we thought, and what we wanted won't go by 3 ft!!

So, max length we can fit is 6 m. Apart from the Swift Bolero 600 and the Bessacar E510, are there any other 2 berth models we should be considering? My wife isn't keen at all about climbing up and down ladders, and I have definitely decided I want a new one.

Secondly, the vans I have seen only have 1 leisure battery. Is it worth adding a second?

Am sure I will be back with more questions.

Thanks

Bill

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Look at Hymers and definitely worth looking at a second battery.

By the way :welcomefunster:

3. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

only bit of advice i can offer you,if i was going to buy a new one there is only one dealer i would deal with and thats JOHNS CROSS.

4. johnson

johnson Read Only Funster

lots of hightops at 6m
    vantage / murvi / wildax / IH
    some do come with twin batteries and solar panels not too expensive

Paul

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the site, second battery and a solar panel would be my advice if you intend wilding. The drop down bed in a Hymer is very comfortable and does make an amazing differance to available space being an A class.

6. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi
    We had a look at the Hymer 544 just under 6m and a lovely van, brownhills are doing new ones but old model for £50k the new model is £73k so massive saving there is another one just a tad bigger cant remember the model name.

Gerry

7. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

We have a Hymer Exsis 5.5 metres long. We do a lot of wild camping and at least 25000 miles per year. We absolutely love being short. We can park in towns like a car with a slight overhang. We have never had a parking ticket.

If you are going to stay on sites then the length is not a problem but if you want the flexibility to go anywhere then short is best.

Same thing applies to batteries. If you are off to places new each day then no need for extra batteries. If you are parked up in one place for a while then 2 batteries is a good idea.

8. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

Rapido 603, <6m and a garage to boot.

9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Well done for measuring the drive in advance.

Some people just buy the van and then find out the van is about 2 metres longer than the space they assured their wife it would fit into. :Blush: