Advice for disabled people on funding and selecting accessible motorhome (1 Viewer)

C

Caro

Deleted User
Hi I am Caro, Joint Deputy Chief Executive of RADAR the Disability Network. We provide advice, info and advocacy to fellow disabled people. I am after any advice and tips we could share with our members on how to go about finding a suitable motorhome - key consideration being cost. We are getting queries about this and I've got some stuff to send people but those of you who have motorhomes already will be bound to have lots of useful tips you won't find in any official info. Hope you guys can help!:RollEyes:best caro

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi Caro and welcome to motorhome fun

There are a number of people with disabilities on this website and I am sure some will try to assist.

As you are already aware, adaptations often depend on the type of disability and as a motorhome is really one or two household rooms on wheels, many easy adaptations used in a home can be easily applied without it costing a fortune.

One of the most useful books I have bought is Link Removed- a specially laminated check-list that you use with pen or pencil again and again.

You can get this either from Jim here or through ebay.

There are different types of motorhomes, some with fixed beds and others where the dining room table can be turned into a double bed. Internal layouts can vary quite dramatically.

When looking at a motorhome test it out thoroughly - this doesnt just apply to people with disabilities. Make sure that on a bad day the person can physically turn the table into a bed. Check that the bed meets requirements - lay on it - take time to try to get out of the wheelchair and into the bed. This may work far better in some mhs than others

Go into the toilet and shower room, dont be afraid to try to sit on the toilet manouvre out of a wheelchair etc, some toilet/shower rooms are bigger than others, some more convenient located too. Open and close cupboards as if cooking and getting stuff out etc

Dont worry that just to look over a motorhome and to try everything out takes a few hours Remember a few sales people can be very pushy so dont be intimidated by them - it is far better to take your time than buying something that doesnt fully suit your needs.

Make a checklist of individual requirements and each time a motorhome is reviewed by the person with a disability ensure notes are taken, these can then be forwarded to you for your information to assist others and gives people something to look back on when viewing the next one.

Getting into a motorhome for people with walking difficulties can be a nightmare, however small portable steps which can vary in tread height dependent on what set is purchased, in most cases easily remedy this problem.

Look where the leisure battery (not the engine battery) is placed, can it be got to easily.

For wheelchairs there are some already adapted motorhomes occasionally to be found on the 2nd hand market. From a safety point of view it is important, where there is a tail-lift to enable the wheelchair into the motorhome, that there is some sort of secondary ramp etc in case the tail lift breaksdown or becomes damaged or unuseable through fire. I am sure it could be quite frightening to some, to feel stuck inside a mh if the tail-lift mechanism fails and there is no one around to assist the person out manually.

For people requiring special medical equipment such a nebulisers etc they should take these with them, can the equipment be easily stored and easily reached in an emergency or when the treatment etc is required.

I have sent you a private message this will show in the top of your screen and flash yellow

Hope this has been of some help, I am sure other mhfunsters will oblige with many things I have missed out, I have listed but a few that come to mind at this moment

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Caro,

Used motorhomes specially adapted for disabled people are rather rare unfortunately althought there must be some about.

HM Customs have tighened up considerably on the rules for VAT exemption on new vehicles.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
re disabled motorhoming

Hi caro:Smile: my name is barry and iam a disabled motorhomer, my wife and me have been motorhoming for three years and enjoy every minute of it. The first thing to know is that you can only get a motorhome with no tax to pay if it is new and you are a wheelchair user,then you have to decide what van would suit your needs. And try to use a dealer who is up to date on all aspects of the disabled motorhomer, I used discover i have a nexxo t660 it has a low rear fixed bed, a decent sized shower room that i can sit and shower myself, ample storage for my scooter, and wheelchair,and very comfy and easy to drive i hope i have helped a bit if i can be of any further help just ask, and enjoy life:thumb:

K

kimmi21

Deleted User
hi barry,
do u know where we could go, local to southampton, where we could get a brand new motorhome that would have facilities for a lift or ramps to get me up into the motorhome? many thanx kim

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
hi barry,
do u know where we could go, local to southampton, where we could get a brand new motorhome that would have facilities for a lift or ramps to get me up into the motorhome? many thanx kim
Hi kimmi21:winky:have a look at this website Link Removed but if you go to any decent dealer they should have a salesman to deal with disability needs there are second hand mhs out there that would fit the bill as well,check out the classifieds on this site im sure i saw 1 and check ebay. hope you get what you need and have many years on the road all the best barry:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Caro.

My wife is disabled and it is not easy to find motor homes suitable for their use in standard made vans. The only way we have found is to make a list of what you require, then look at as many vans as possible to find the nearest to your requirements, then find a dealer who will help you, unfortunately they are not all welcoming.

The larger dealers are often the best bet, but not always some smaller dealers will go out of their way to help to you, it’s a case of looking, and asking.

The manufactures now are unfortunately unable or unwilling to help, as the production line method of manufacture does not permit them to break from the standard models. We found the most helpful people are the smaller van converters, high tops, as most of them are used to adapting their conversions to fit the existing van and are often willing to adapt to what you require, if possible.
One dealer who does this well is Roy Wood Transits, with their Horizons Unlimited models, they both make and sell and will try to help. Web site below

http://www.roywoodtransits.co.uk/

Another converter we found helpful was

http://www.devonconversions.com/

Hope this is of some help to you.

As has already been stated second hand vans do exist but are few and far between due to owners keeping what they have due to the problems of replacing.

Dave

Last edited:

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Hello there,
I am not yet a MH owner but will soon be and have a permanent disability. I do have a wheelchair but am stubborn and rarely use it. However the only bits of info I can add first hand is what I have been told by the dealers themselves, namely that if you have a disability and are thinking of buying a new MH, then if you get a letter from your GP to say you get disability L allowance or are a wheelchair user, then you get the VAT off new Motorhomes.
Also if you find one you like but is a manual then you can get it converted.
I am still trying to find one I like that meets my requirements, is an automatic, and has a low entrance step. :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, its possible to use the click n go electric clutch on most m ,homes. it goes under another name as well .i have one fitted to my vw lt. works real fine . find my new truck is hydrolic so easy to press .the pedal can be left in situe or removed with the elec. clutch workings. when its on you change gear without the pedal use, turn it off its normal driving. cheers alan.

jomel

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Clevedon, Bristol
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 week (ahh)
Dont know if this link is any good to you but found it browsing about.
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back