Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Been reading lots of advice where people say 'get the layout that suits you' when buying MH (still in our sights but probate from mum's estate and lack of time to search aren't helping). But how will we know? We 'think' that we would prefer a bit more seating than bed area, but dunno if making up a bed each night will be a ball ache. Don't think we'd need a big garage (but that could be famous last words) and I've quite liked the one or two mohos I've seen that have got rear kitchens. What experiences have you had that have helped you to decide on the right layout for you?

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I'll be honest I didn't read all the responses to the OP which was 'advice/experience of layout, so this is our take. When we bought our first motorhome 4 years ago we had very clear ideas on what we were looking for. I didn't want to rearrange cushions and grab duvets to make the bed, I wanted to get into a ready made bed. I wanted somewhere to lounge on in the day - a settee.

Hubby had very different requirements. He wanted LHD, automatic, winterised , Mercedes base vehicle, a garage.
It took us a long time to find what 'we' we're looking for. Layout and everything else is very personal.

What I can say is that we bought once and bought smart.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I'll be honest I didn't read all the responses to the OP which was 'advice/experience of layout, so this is our take. When we bought our first motorhome 4 years ago we had very clear ideas on what we were looking for. I didn't want to rearrange cushions and grab duvets to make the bed, I wanted to get into a ready made bed. I wanted somewhere to lounge on in the day - a settee.

Hubby had very different requirements. He wanted LHD, automatic, winterised , Mercedes base vehicle, a garage.
It took us a long time to find what 'we' we're looking for. Layout and everything else is very personal.

What I can say is that we bought once and bought smart.

All of the points you have made are very valid and are exactly what people should consider when first time buying. Its a compromise between ...what you want and what you need.
A combination of the two is always going to be the best result, having said that practicality will be an important when you start using it long term.
The most important issue though will be your budget(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just adding our twopennyworth - we took 18 months (whilst waiting for finance to sort itself out) to research and find our ideal van (and got it right first time). We started off with three lists - need, would like, don't want, and prepared several sheets of paper with these lists on, one for each type of van we looked at. I won't go into why we put what onto the lists, that's for you to decide but many salient points made above.
Then we went round the shows (dealers can be okay as well if they are big enough). When we thought we'd found the ideal we hired - and straight away found it still wasn't right, but it focused our minds. After a rethink we hired again, and immediately discovered the right one. Six years and 60000 miles later we wouldn't change anything.

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
........... and my twopennyworth:

First decide roughly what size you would be comfortble driving, parking, negotiating narrow roads and having on your drive.
If you're planning to be on the move most days as opposed to camping in the same spot , then you need a layout that enables a "quick pack up and away" - if it takes you an hour to store everything away, you'll go nuts.
Try and find one where at least one of the cab seats swivels (without having to open the door).
Unless you really have a specific use for that garage, don't get one - you'll only fill it with "necessary" stuff you'll rarely, if ever use.
If you don't understand "user payload", then find out and be aware - there are loads of threads here on the subject.
The front end (engine etc) is more important that the habitation end. A wonderfully fitted motorhome with all mod cons is useless if the front end keeps breaking down.
Get to the shows/dealers and get into every MH you can. Lie on beds, stand in showers, sit on loos, sit at dining area, climb in and out....... and then go and do it in some more. Make notes of what you like and what you don't like. Imagine living in each one as you go. Delay any purchase until you've done this exercise at a couple of shows - and never, never take your plastic to your first couple of shows. :)

Like most expensive purchases it's all about research, research, research.

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We have just changed our layout after only 5 months. We thought we had done all our research etc....

10 days in France showed us we were wrong - not horrendously so but enough to be annoying.

We had bunk beds (using bottom one as garage), overcab bed (no probs) and a fixed dinette for sitting at.

We found we wanted a bigger garage (so have gone to fixed rear bed) and a better seating space. We now have all we need.

Think long and hard about what you will be doing when deciding. As we both go cycling when away for weekends the garage is very important to us. I also refuse to make a bed up each night - it may not be an issue to others but it would bother me.

I also wouldn't buy anything that won't fit on the drive - if I had to mess about with storage then we wouldn't use the MH as often. We are lucky though that we can get our 7.1m A class on the drive as well as the cars (not bad for a new house)

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Lounge, lounge and lounge.

The rest are mere details. Make sure you will be comfy with a glass of wine at night, perhaps with enough room to host some guests.

I can never quite get why some people opt with a MH that has a fixed bed but dinette up front so they have no lounging room.

But as has been said on this thread before, get a rear lounge, with a small dinette up front, best of both worlds.

Most facilities will be much of a muchness (kitchen/bathroom) - but you'll hardly spend anytime using these as your main downtime (unless you spend a long time cooking really spicy curries :LOL: ) will be relaxing - so make sure this is comfy. That is unless you're like a lot of English folk who insist on having an oven. Having camped for over 25 years man and boy, never had one and never felt the need for one.

Storage, again - not worth worrying about IMO, there's 2 of you and there are things like roof boxes that can assist if you really need it. Preferable to pack smart ;)

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Here is my take:

rear beds or bed/front lounge the most popular layout Europe wide... for good reason as its practical. a garage means all your living space free of clutter

this UK obsession with large lounge and not having two distinct areas very odd in my opinion. As for the hassle of making a bed up every night out of a sofa...really?:).
Most of our living spent out of doors under an awning in good weather..

You have to be joined at the hip to live like this, go to bed at same time, up together? I love Mrs M deeply but we are different. go to bed at different times. don't always watch the same stuff, I may prefer to go to bed and read while she works up front on the laptop.....whatever.

What if you are ill or one fancies a lie in or nap......surely best if one out of the way at back of van and life continues up front with full access to kitchen and lounge...

sleeping is the main occupation in a van so we will not compromise on bed comfort or storage. Please don't start of on a defense of UK layouts as I will never comprehend it in all honestly...

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree with Eddie, bed comfort is a must when spending weeks away in the van last thing you want every morning is back ache.
I wouldn't buy a van without a fixed bed and fixed table and a good shower, like to be able to pull up, handbrake on, swivel seats, job done.

We hired a couple times before buying taught us what we could & couldn't live with, first van didn't have a garage happy with it for 6 years. Current van has a garage and since buying it have brought e-bikes, now wouldn't have a van without a garage as would not feel comfortable with a few grands worth of bikes on a rack.

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are on our 3rd van. We race motocross and tow the bike on a trailer so that the whole of the van is useable. It is a 6 berth, 7m van and has bunk beds for when the grown up children come skiing or racing. The bottom bunk lifts up to give a bigger garage for all the s**t.....sorry useful stuff that we carry. Table, bbq, tools, skis, snowboards, ski boots, awning sides, chairs etc. there is a double dinette in the front and we turned the single dinette into a sofa for more a more relaxing seating arrangement. I personally wouldn't drive to a ski resort, mainly because I work in a school so can't really afford the time it takes to drive there and to be honest I don't fancy the roads. We ski at Easter and drive down stopping at various aires on the way. Take a good nosey around as many vans as you can, sit in them, lie on the beds and check out the storage. Have fun.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Just go and look at as many MoHo's as you can, stand in the available space, move around as if you are doing things, sit on the seats, lie on the seats take your time. If it's a fixed bed lie on it in all positions.
Time is the thing and imagination, look at the vans, look at other vans then go back and look again! Take your time!

Upvote 0

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
Here is my take:

rear beds or bed/front lounge the most popular layout Europe wide... for good reason as its practical. a garage means all your living space free of clutter

this UK obsession with large lounge and not having two distinct areas very odd in my opinion. As for the hassle of making a bed up every night out of a sofa...really?:).
Most of our living spent out of doors under an awning in good weather..

You have to be joined at the hip to live like this, go to bed at same time, up together? I love Mrs M deeply but we are different. go to bed at different times. don't always watch the same stuff, I may prefer to go to bed and read while she works up front on the laptop.....whatever.

What if you are ill or one fancies a lie in or nap......surely best if one out of the way at back of van and life continues up front with full access to kitchen and lounge...

sleeping is the main occupation in a van so we will not compromise on bed comfort or storage. Please don't start of on a defense of UK layouts as I will never comprehend it in all honestly...

Exactly what drove us to change. Sue likes to sleep in a bit when on holiday and I'm an annoying cheerful early riser :) So our B534 pushed all buttons - front drop-down very comfortable bed (lifts out the way when not in use) so Sue can get her beauty sleep in peace - not that she needs it of course..... :), rear lounge so I can go be cheerful on my own/read etc. which also gives some rear accessible locker space plus Hetty The Hymer is under 6M so fits on our drive meaning we do not need to find storage. Pretty much win all round for us. Added bonus is IMHO they are very classic looking vehicles which age well. (Bit like me actually....... :) ) Worth looking at IMHO

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Exactly what drove us to change. Sue likes to sleep in a bit when on holiday and I'm an annoying cheerful early riser :) So our B534 pushed all buttons - front drop-down very comfortable bed (lifts out the way when not in use) so Sue can get her beauty sleep in peace - not that she needs it of course..... :), rear lounge so I can go be cheerful on my own/read etc. which also gives some rear accessible locker space plus Hetty The Hymer is under 6M so fits on our drive meaning we do not need to find storage. Pretty much win all round for us. Added bonus is IMHO they are very classic looking vehicles which age well. (Bit like me actually....... :) ) Worth looking at IMHO

Ha ha ha well said..a "like" not good enough:)

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I think something to keep in mind if you go to an exhibition or big dealer and climb in and out of lots of different MHs is coming to the decision the biggest one is best.

It might be the best for you but for us we find a 6m PVC has all we need and it is a lot easier to drive and park than something longer with a long tail-dragging overhang. The bed makes up in less than a minute.

You could certainly take a larger MH onto this beach.

View attachment 79298

But this track started crossing stream beds a little after this shot was taken. My fault entirely of course, anyone with any sense would have turned round and in a larger MH you wouldn't have had any other option due to the overhang at the rear on most of them, but for us it was a little adventure. :)

View attachment 79299
dbk. what you need is a mini artic or a prison truck conversion . hee .hee
good pics though .
i think tall blond needs a mini artic or a fifth wheeler ideal for all sports and you get a vehicle to drive around in .
some streams are deeper than others . ha ha .

Attachments

• garypics1 066.jpg
    garypics1 066.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
good pics though .
i think tall blond needs a mini artic or a fifth wheeler ideal for all sports and you get a vehicle to drive around in .
Only room to park a little 'van at our house, as you know.:) Especially now as #1 son has just wangled a posting to 30 Cdo in Plymouth so we will be seeing a lot more of his car parked here.

Is it not time for you to migrate south about now?

Upvote 0

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Agree with Eddie, bed comfort is a must when spending weeks away in the van last thing you want every morning is back ache.
I wouldn't buy a van without a fixed bed and fixed table and a good shower, like to be able to pull up, handbrake on, swivel seats, job done.

We hired a couple times before buying taught us what we could & couldn't live with, first van didn't have a garage happy with it for 6 years. Current van has a garage and since buying it have brought e-bikes, now wouldn't have a van without a garage as would not feel comfortable with a few grands worth of bikes on a rack.
I have to say, we didn't hire, bought our first van 4 years ago and still got it. Don't want to change, it's worked perfectly for us and a lot of the things you had as must haves were the same for us!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
good pics though .
Mini artic. Now you're talking.

Upvote 0

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Try my scrambled egg trick when looking at layouts. Imagine you're making them for lunch. Act out taking all that you need from where it would live, making them, dealing with the pots etc in the process, serving and eating them , washing up. See how practical it feels. Then go through a similar process with other scenarios...coming back soaked from a walk for example. Where do you dry boots? Where do the wet clothes go and where are you standing when you take them off, where are your dry clothes, are you comfortable stripping off there if not how much of a pain is it to make the area private? Go through getting ready for bed. Imagine yourselves having a day in the sun with a bbq. Where are the chairs stored, the bbq, the charcoal, or gas point. How much sports kit do you take and what happens when it's all filthy?

Remember that a fixed bed, if you deem it a must have, can be a day lounging place too, and gives more outdoor storage than most vans with non fixed....but reduces interior space.

Hire. Make up your own scrambled egg tricks. Buy used first, but buy very cannily and privately if you dare. That way you won't lose much if you change.

By the time this thread is finished you'll be on your third van!

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We bought our first van in 2008 without thinking about it or doing any research.

It was a sparkling Burstner Aviano with a fixed rear bed and we loved it or thought we loved it.

The first discovery we made was that it was too big for our drive:doh:

The second was that it didn't really suit us. The fixed bed was great but the dinette/ lounging area at the front was cramped and claustrophobic.

We now have an Autotrail Scout with a u shaped lounge at the back and the dinette area at the front. Loads of lounging space and a bit of room to do what you want to do. For example last Saturday I sat at the front watching the rugby while my wife and daughter watched some girly film in the lounge.

It suits us. Making up the bed is easy. The bed isn't as comfortable as the fixed bed was but with some mattress toppers we get a good nights sleep. Often on holiday we leave the rear bed made up because we spend our time outside or have kitchen dinette to eat our meals.

Plenty of storage and garage space.

I think you need to just sit in a lot of different vans and see what you prefer.

Even then you might not get it right first time.

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Try my scrambled egg trick when looking at layouts. Imagine you're making them for lunch. Act out taking all that you need from where it would live, making them, dealing with the pots etc in the process, serving and eating them , washing up. See how practical it feels. Then go through a similar process with other scenarios...coming back soaked from a walk for example. Where do you dry boots? Where do the wet clothes go and where are you standing when you take them off, where are your dry clothes, are you comfortable stripping off there if not how much of a pain is it to make the area private? Go through getting ready for bed. Imagine yourselves having a day in the sun with a bbq. Where are the chairs stored, the bbq, the charcoal, or gas point. How much sports kit do you take and what happens when it's all filthy?

Brilliant suggestion!

One tip we were given and it works well: decide what you definitely do not want or will not put up with. This narrows down choices and saves time at shows. Incidentally, going round the big indoor shows is easily the best way to see lots of vans and layouts and to talk to others looking at similar vans to swap ideas and thoughts. Go to Dusseldorf if you can, it'll take at least two days to go round them all.

Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Been reading lots of advice where people say 'get the layout that suits you' when buying MH (still in our sights but probate from mum's estate and lack of time to search aren't helping). But how will we know? We 'think' that we would prefer a bit more seating than bed area, but dunno if making up a bed each night will be a ball ache. Don't think we'd need a big garage (but that could be famous last words) and I've quite liked the one or two mohos I've seen that have got rear kitchens. What experiences have you had that have helped you to decide on the right layout for you?
I talked to lots of people and one said he was changing Motorhome because he was fed up making his bed every night. I want to be away for a few months at a time with adult couples joining me regularly. I didn't like the idea of people climbing over each other while asleep to get to the loo. I decided on A class drop down double bed for guests and transverse bed for me which gave me a large garage and on one trip it was already full. I made the right choice for my needs and am thrilled with my new toy.

Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
First think of the outside - how big do you want it to be, length, height and width can make quite a difference as to where you can realistically take it. How you intend to use it - staying in one spot for a week or so at a time, or seeing things as you travel so only stopping for a couple of nights; using campsites her and abroad, or aires/wild camping? Do you have any hobbies that you want to enjoy whilst away - can you store any equipment you will need? Do you need to take passengers - if so you'll need rear travel seats.

Do you need a large washroom or a big lounge or a fixed bed ... there's a lot to consider before you even contemplate putting down your dosh for one. It's tempting to buy the first one that you think will meet your needs but unless you've thought it through thoroughly and made notes which you can refer to (eg a tick list) to avoid forgetting something important (very easily done!) it is very, very easy to make a mistake. Then you need to think about what type of heating/insulation level you need - a MH used in winter in the mountains when skiing needs to be well insulated and have a very good heating system whereas one which you will use mainly in Spring/Summer/Autumn won't need to be quite as good. These are just a few of the things to consider.

When you get to the point of knowing what will work for you then you can narrow your search to those MHs that suit you and hopefully get it right first time.
Well said everybody's needs are so different. I was being told I could add seat belts to the U shaped lounge as I needed four seat belts. I asked about G forces etc. and was advised not to follow the route of adding seat belts retrospectively.

Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Nobody can give you a "right" answer to this question. It's totally subjective so the only person that can find the right answer for you is you. For us a fixed bed and a rear bedroom with a proper door to separate it from the front is non negotiable but that's just us, I wouldn't dream of suggesting that layout as ideal for anyone else.

As to how you go about finding it. Sit in and if possible use as many motorhomes as you possibly can before you buy one. Hiring for weekends is always a good way of checking out a layout you think may work.

Take your time, don't buy the first one you find and always remember that the accepted wisdom is that the third motorhome you buy will be the right one.

I can see you're somewhere near us. You're welcome to have a nosey in ours if you want.
I bought a second hand N&B Arto 6.9 mtrs cab seats turn onto a 4/5 seat L settee giving seven seats in all. Fixed bed, A class bed, garage took a long time to research

Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I think something to keep in mind if you go to an exhibition or big dealer and climb in and out of lots of different MHs is coming to the decision the biggest one is best.

It might be the best for you but for us we find a 6m PVC has all we need and it is a lot easier to drive and park than something longer with a long tail-dragging overhang. The bed makes up in less than a minute.

You could certainly take a larger MH onto this beach.

View attachment 79298

But this track started crossing stream beds a little after this shot was taken. My fault entirely of course, anyone with any sense would have turned round and in a larger MH you wouldn't have had any other option due to the overhang at the rear on most of them, but for us it was a little adventure. :)

View attachment 79299
Scotland??

Upvote 0

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Good luck with your research, will be interested to see what you decide.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner

Remember that a fixed bed, if you deem it a must have, can be a day lounging place too, and gives more outdoor storage than most vans with non fixed....but reduces interior space.

Hire. Make up your own scrambled egg tricks. Buy used first, but buy very cannily and privately if you dare. That way you won't lose much if you change.

By the time this thread is finished you'll be on your third van!
I love it! Just wait till I get to the moho dealers and go through these routines. I imagine people standing outside trying to guess what I'm doing - like moho charades "she's trying to get her walking boots on. Now she's making a chilli. Oh, now she's trying to find somewhere to hide her iPad and £2000 before she goes out". Ta!

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I love it! Just wait till I get to the moho dealers and go through these routines. I imagine people standing outside trying to guess what I'm doing - like moho charades "she's trying to get her walking boots on. Now she's making a chilli. Oh, now she's trying to find somewhere to hide her iPad and £2000 before she goes out". Ta!

just make sure everything comfortable and a good fit, beds, toilet, all lounge seats..take your time..don't be rushed - its your money!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back