Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Can only feel sorry for them for what seems like an easy mistake to make........ shan't be letting some of you lot into my mishaps after some of the comments. :Eeek: You should be ashamed of yourselves :RollEyes: the repair bill isn't going to be cheap. :Smile: All in good fun I know but we all make mistakes.... just hope they can see it as a learning experience. After all it is one of the risks of motorhoming. Hope I never end up in that predicament.

Sorry not preaching I know you don't mean any harm. :Smile:

This is motorhome fun after all.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it is abit sad to hear about st agnes beacon site. it is a proper road 40ft artics use it on a daily basis. i drove for a while for dobles the frozen food people there depot is past the site then turn left . if drivers cant manage that road then they would never get round the blue hills road .it looks as if the o.p. got stuck on. yes we do all get into problems ,satnav maps dont help much when you drift off into the country no matter where you are.try turning a 40fter in sennen cove. been there makes you sweat abit. have fun ..alan

S

Shubberdog

Deleted User
That's why I like my little VW. it will go almost anywhere a car wil go. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Don't need to go far to end up in tight spots - and all the maps and navigators won't help you keep out of trouble either. We stayed at a CC ground south of London. Forget the name but it was the first one out after Crystal palace. Turned right out the gate heading for London and ended up in one of those hedge-trimmers-revenge-against-the-world lanes with no decent passing sections. Only real problem was some crusty old geriatric in an olde worlde landrover who needed at least a foot clearance either side before he would move past. The rest of us just put up with scratches from the smashed hedge branches.

Then there was that "road" over in one of the national parks - dartmoor or exmoore and then there was .... and .... and .... The list goes on and on and on.

The first scrapes are the worst and the big advantage of having a Hobby is that the grey striping around the bottom exactly matches the colour of standard duct tape.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No matter what size motorhome I have owned, from 14 to 34 foot, I have found myself in dilemmas similar to this poor chap. If you are like me, the smaller the Motorhome the greener the lane ::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yer right Jim I've got hedge marks down the side of my car, could be my driving not the navigator

BEV

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
CORNWALL
Funster No
MH
AUTOCRUISE
Exp
Tom tom

This is exactly why I went out and bought a Garmin after having bad experience with our Tom. With the Garmin (and I expect others the sat nav) know what size you are albeit foot lorry and car etc. We get loads of lorries trapped and have to be craned out of villages.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had a Garmin Nuvi 360. It had the bus,truck, option. But it was useless and still took me on lanes with grass up the middle. Then I learned, here I think, that it only routed around roads with official weight restrictions. So that little Cornish lane that has double switchbacks, but no weight restriction is fair game for the Garmin:Smile:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Satnav

I tend to use mine only to confirm I know where I'm going. I rarely follow it but I wouldn't be without it. It's a valuable tool to me but I usually plan my route and make a paper list and I still carry maps. It's also hard to hear it clearly over the top of a roaring merc 410d engine.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Can only feel sorry for them for what seems like an easy mistake to make........ shan't be letting some of you lot into my mishaps after some of the comments. :Eeek: You should be ashamed of yourselves :RollEyes: the repair bill isn't going to be cheap. :Smile: All in good fun I know but we all make mistakes.... just hope they can see it as a learning experience. After all it is one of the risks of motorhoming. Hope I never end up in that predicament.

Sorry not preaching I know you don't mean any harm. :Smile:

This is motorhome fun after all.
I so agree.
I feel so sorry for them. A horrendous bill probably awaits them when they get home. A certain degree of smugness doesn't encourage frankness!!.

Our escape in St Amour was 20 yrs ago before sat nav.
Often the driver:Cool: does not listen to the Navigator:Eeek::Eeek: and sees it as a matter of pride to get through.:winky: I'm not saying who was driving and who was navigating but if I say 'Ohher, this doesn't look good ,Dave' you can work it out!!!

Also try reversing with a caravan back down a one way system with no side streets, cars parked on each side....

Glad to know we are not alone in mishaps.:thumb:
Lucille

OP
OP
walnut

walnut

Free Member
Dec 7, 2008
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495
Exp
I'am only new to motorhomes and this was a great piece of education, this is the sort of road I used to think I could drive down, you only admit defeat when your firmly stuck.
I feel really gutted for the driver.

The driver failed to observe the following sign for 6ft 3 ahead and a 33% road ahead sign.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii55/reggow/2009-08-Trip to Cornwall/SDC10272.jpg

Even if he had made the turn this was just around the corner and there is nowhere to turn a 24ft motorhome around.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii55/reggow/2009-08-Trip to Cornwall/SDC10274.jpg

This VW decided to reverse back, as I left there was 3 cars waiting behind him.
These roads are a nightmare for car drivers never mind a motorhome.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'am only new to motorhomes and this was a great piece of education, this is the sort of road I used to think I could drive down, you only admit defeat when your firmly stuck.
I feel really gutted for the driver.

The driver failed to observe the following sign for 6ft 3 ahead and a 33% road ahead sign.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii55/reggow/2009-08-Trip to Cornwall/SDC10272.jpg

Even if he had made the turn this was just around the corner and there is nowhere to turn a 24ft motorhome around.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii55/reggow/2009-08-Trip to Cornwall/SDC10274.jpg

This VW decided to reverse back, as I left there was 3 cars waiting behind him.
These roads are a nightmare for car drivers never mind a motorhome.

and the 'tip of the day' is.......

always carry a chainsaw!!!! :RollEyes:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I think the worst trouble I got into was before Sat-Nav, and was when tugging, and going to a site in Wales when the M4 was being built.
[FONT=&quot]We met a diversion and lost where we were, on seeing a local asked direction, and were given a clear route to take. Followed the route counting lanes as we went. Got to the turning and followed the lane for 1 ½ miles, lane getting narrower and winding all the time, saw cottage and asked again to check directions, it turned out the previous person had miscounted lanes by one, and there was nowhere to turn. Had to reverse back up the lane to turning I can say I never had any problems reversing again, but needed clean underwear.:Doh::Doh::cry:along with the wife and daughter.
[/FONT]

Dave
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back