Adult only (camping) sites

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Allanm, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Allanm

Allanm Funster

In this months MMM, there is an article on Adult only Sites. Now, this is going to be a contentious subject, but coming as I do from a line of large families where there are always kids about, the thought of going to an adult only site fills me with horror!
    Sites that specify no kids or no dogs sums up( to me) all ( well, not quite all) that is wrong with this country's attitude towards children and families and to some extent, dogs.
    There is a pub near me that must have at least 10 signs up outside restricting what children can do and where they can go, in what has always been a family pub, right on the beach.
    Why can't we take on the European attitude towards families? They seem to love kids and encourage their inclusion in everything.
    A good few years ago we went to Portugal where my blond haired blue eyed 3 year old daughter was an instant hit with every restaurant employee who wanted to pick her up, even one of the chefs came out to see her and give her a treat after her meal ( it was a fancy, free, ice cream concoction.)
    In the UK, we are ushered into pokey " family" rooms where they offer the kids burgers and other junk.
    Now, they aren't allowed into some campsites because people don't want to see or hear kids around by people who buy a house near a school and constantly complain about the noise.
    Phew, I feel better now.
    Allan

• Like Like x 12
  2. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

Horses for courses Allan. Not sure why it should be contentious, I've often used adult only sites and enjoy the peace of quiet, whats the issue with that? Its all about choice. Having done the "Kids Hols" in the past, now as I meander through middle age, I want a bit of "Me time". I thinks thats fair enough. Families sites far outweigh adult only in numbers, so you shouldn't be spoiled for choice or feel left out!

:Smile:

• Like Like x 16
  3. froggy59

froggy59 Funster

Nice one Al.

Alan

4. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

I'm also an "Al" I think that comments not aimed at me?

Al :Rofl1:

5. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Glad you feel better now...
    Surely it's all about choices?
    Paul

6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

It's because I guess I am going to be in the minority here. Just putting my flameproof jacket on.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

I can see your point to an extent however sadly there are those that let their children of 'the leash' to ruin others holidays which in turn then forces this kind of restriction amd of course what happens is the likes of yourself and us (we have a relatively well behaved 18 month old) get pigeon holed with those whose children are not well behaved and who allow their children to run wild across others pitches or in restaurants and pubs under tables and all sorts, who seem to think that everyone else should tolerate their childrens rogue behaviour

All this creates a market for adult only campsites which if there wasnt a market or demamd or some would say need they wouldn't survive.

• Like Like x 9
  8. cranky

cranky Funster

I have 3 grown up children, 8 grandchildren and 2 dogs. Ask me if I occasionally enjoy a child free and/or dog free site.
    I thought so.:Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Vic

Vic Funster

Want a family site, go to a family site.
    Want an adult only site, go to an adult only site.
    Whats the problem?

• Like Like x 22
  10. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

To look at this from the opposite end though why should ALL sites cater for children? What is wrong with some sites being adult only? We have an adult only site opposite our workshop and it is adult only for a simple reason, most of the site has been made into a park home "village" which is almost exclusively populated by retired folks, why should they have their peace and quiet destroyed by unknown children running around playing and making noise?

D.

• Like Like x 13
  11. lorger

lorger Funster

Our daughter is now 16 if we go to a family site they charge us for an adult when we book an adult site they say she is a child :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  12. JJ

JJ Funster

I am with you on the kids Allanm but can do without the dogs...

Oh the joy some dog owners seem to get when their little, totally untrained, slightly over sized, hairy rats start yapping at all and sundry...

"Oh look! He is protecting me...!"

Yeah right!

(Obviously not Izzy who has special dispensation...)

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 7
  13. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

It's great that we have such a diverse and wide range of sites to choose from. There is something somewhere to suit everyone.

Sometimes we want peace and quiet, sometimes, when meeting up with friends, we know we will make a bit of noise, whichever we choose our sites accordingly.
    No problem there. :thumb:

• Like Like x 6
  14. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Which Izzy, not mine, she wouldn't protect me from anything, she only loves her ball and her dinner.:Doh:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. JJ

JJ Funster

I refer to the original Funster Izzy who hangs out with Bob and Jane. :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  16. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I`m a oldey with young kids-- it took me 52 years to work out what went where :thumb:

I can see it from both sides, I think it`s great when there are lots of kids about on sites for all age groups--up to the age of about 7.

The ones aged between 7 and 18 need a different type of site where the type of facilities' they would want the elderly campers would hate (waterparks-discos----shouting and booze ups---goings ons behind the loos----:Wink:

But just once in a while I would like to jump over the fence to the adults only site ,pull up a lounger, sleep (in peace) for a few hours , then get back to where it`s all going on :thumb:

17. busby

busby Funster

TROUBLE IS ALAN NOT ALL CHILDREN ARE AS WELL BEHAVED AS YOURS! Some parents like some dog owners have no control and get all a bad name. BUSBY:Smile:

• Like Like x 5
  18. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Be honest, how many of us love having our grandchildren for a visit, but it's so peaceful and quiet when the house is ours again.

Last campsite we were on, there about 4 kids about 8-10 years old shouting a screaming around our pitch, quite a bit away from where their pitch was, so their parents had the peace and quiet. We had to politely ask them to go somewhere else to play cops and robbers.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Nigel and Pamala

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lindylooj

Lindylooj Read Only Funster

Been there, done that with our children on family sites, they are now adults and as others have said we like our peace and quiet.

Unfortunately its always the same, the minority spoil things. We recently picked up our van from Cheshire, stayed on family site and children were still playing at 10pm with their parents saying - yer on yer olidays so go off en play whilst they continued drinking their wine. We didn't stay the second night and got a refund with the owner saying they had had loads of complaints.

Next night spent at another family site, lovely children next to us, came and chatted to dog and invited us to join their barbeque (the 12yr old offering to call for us :thumb:), as it happened the heavens opened and said barbeque didn't happen but they were all polite and playing considerately.

Given a choice, child free sites win.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I said it would be contentious. But I suppose as we haven't used a UK campsite since 1993, obviously things (and kids) have changed since then.
    I still wouldn't fancy an adult only site though but I understand there are lots of people who would.
    I suppose the next step is men or women only.....
    :getmecoat:

Allan