Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just been informed that hackers breached software giant Adobe's security yesterday and stole a whole load of sensitive data. Including my credit card details along with 2.9 million others.

They do it so easily. Theses guys steal more than the great train robbers every day and never seem to get caught. I'm sure in cyber-criminal world these will be looked upon as the good old days. :Doh:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just been informed that hackers breached software giant Adobe's security yesterday and stole a whole load of sensitive data. Including my credit card details along with 2.9 million others.

They do it so easily. Theses guys steal more than the great train robbers every day and never seem to get caught. I'm sure in cyber-criminal world these will be looked upon as the good old days. :Doh:

That will keep the Banks Fraud departments busy. :Doh:

I see they are offering free credit checking for a year...

How did they get past their security? Not encrypted,, :Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So long as companies put sales and transaction throughput before security this sort of thing will continue to happen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Had the same email and spent half the morning changing passwords.

Apparently the data stolen was encrypted and no-one so far seems to have been affected (been monitoring Adobe forums) but its a pain in the a*** and time consuming.

Oh, and the free security check thing - US customers only :Doh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Whats Adobe?

They are one of the biggest software houses. Most every Newspaper, magazine, TV program, movie and website you've looked at in the last 10 years will have used one or more of their products in it's production. Software, you'll know are Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash etc:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My initial reaction was oh crap!!!. Then I realised I don't use any Adobe software at all being fully linux based now..:thumb:::bigsmile:

Then 2 seconds later it hit me:Doh:. The biggest risk here is that they have the source code now... This means they can inspect Adobes crappy programming and see how to exploit it. This means that we are all at risk unfortunately.....

Expect to see a rash of emails coming through with pdf's attached any time in the next few weeks. Remember not to open them though.

Look out for sites that use flash as it is possible the hackers may find a security hole in that software and start using it as an attack vector.

People who use Adobe image editing software would be well advised not to open any image files sent to them via email or downloaded from unknown websites.

I would put good money on there being major costs incurred because of this security breach affecting far more people than just those who had their cc data stolen and the value will be much higher.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I think your right Gromett, Adobe has already said that part of the source code was for Acrobat, hope it's not Flash as well (already bad enough ::bigsmile:)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
From what I read they've nicked all their source code. I use their products every day, I subscribe to photoshop, indesign, illustrator, Acrobat. but they produce over 30 programs for media work. There are bound to be some things they can exploit, its not looking good for the company, I guess adobe shares are not a 'Buy' at the moment.:whatthe:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Like yourself Jim I use Creative Cloud every day. One thing I did do this morning was turn auto updates off until it's clear what info has been taken.

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
I'm with Jim, having a CS6 cloud membership. Mind you my account won't take much emptying..it's the identity theft that worries me more and the long term effects of that.

Steve

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I think your right Gromett, Adobe has already said that part of the source code was for Acrobat, hope it's not[HI] Flash [/HI]as well (already bad enough ::bigsmile:)

Am I right in remembering not too long ago the Anti Apple brigade were ridiculing iPads for not supporting Flash, or was that a different Flash? :whistle:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Am I right in remembering not too long ago the Anti Apple brigade were ridiculing iPads for not supporting Flash, or was that a different Flash? :whistle:

If I think back Adobe was traditionally for apples ::bigsmile:

I remember years ago (worked in publishing for a long time) being forced to spend a ridiculous amount of cash on a Powermac/

Thankfully now days PC's are the light and as far as I can see the only reason to buy an Apple is the pretty picture on the front ::bigsmile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
If I think back Adobe was traditionally for apples ::bigsmile:

I remember years ago (worked in publishing for a long time) being forced to spend a ridiculous amount of cash on a Powermac/

Thankfully now days PC's are the light and as far as I can see the only reason to buy an Apple is the pretty picture on the front ::bigsmile:

I was really referring to tablets when 12 months or so ago there was quite lively debate on the forum between iPads and Android O/S Gadgets, the Anti Apple Brigades main argument was the inability to use Flash player, I'm wondering if in the light of the security issues raised right now if the non use of Flash is really a positive.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Not me, I am anti apple, Anti Adobe, anti Oracle, anti Nokia and anti Microsoft. In fact I am anti any of the monopolistic arses who can't write software that isn't full of security holes and then use DRM to further tell us what we can and can't do with the devices we have bought off them.

Me? I will stick to my small but competent linux world:winky::thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Not me, I am anti apple, Anti Adobe, anti Oracle, anti Nokia and anti Microsoft. In fact I am anti any of the monopolistic arses who can't write software that isn't full of security holes and then use DRM to further tell us what we can and can't do with the devices we have bought off them.

Me? I will stick to my small but competent linux world:winky::thumb:

My Nan used to have an Anti Macassar over the back of her sofa:ROFLMAO:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Chances are there will be two school kids sat in a bedroom somewhere having a laugh at the problems they have caused wondering what to do next.LOL:winky:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Chances are there will be two school kids sat in a bedroom somewhere having a laugh at the problems they have caused wondering what to do next.LOL:winky:

Quite possible, however they haven't kept the source code to themselves. It is now available to blackhats worldwide including a lot of the real competent ones :Sad::Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back