Adjustment of TV's, dishes etc. (1 Viewer)

US2UK

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Cumbria, England
Funster No
MH
Class A
Exp
Since 2001 but new in UK
After 10 years touring North America, our Motorhome is now on it's way to UK. Lots of conversions are required, and most are being attended to on arrival. However, I have not yet found out if American TVs, dome dishes etc. are compatible to UK spec. :Eeek: Can anyone give advice ?
If the equipment can be converted, any recommendations ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not sure about the dish but the TV wont work....the yanks use a different system to the uk.
we use PAL and the americans use NTSC

the US sat receiver may/will have the wrong transponder codes installed but could possibly be re-hashed within the menu to receive european TP's.

both TV's and receivers are cheap enough in the UK.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Most American TV's as far as I recall are NTSC system which are not normally compatible with the European systems which are PAL. However if you are lucky it may be a "multi-system" tv, but with the US kit I would be surprised.

The actual sat dish should work, it is just a parabolic receiver, our ships dish works world wide, but you may need a different decoder and possibly LNB..

I'm sure someone will come along with more enlightening info soon....:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
To add what has already been advised..

If it's an automatic sat dish then from what I recall from another Fun member's question on the same topic it was going to cost more to convert the software than to buy new .. I'll look for the thread ..

Personally I would ditch all the US kit .. not only is it the wrong voltage,( not a big issue as you can convert from 110v to 230v ) .. but it's also the wrong frequency .. ie 60 rather than 50hz .. it's just not worth the expense of conversion.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My American KH dome fell into that catagory Jim
About £100 more for a new system with warranties etc than converting:Doh: