Adjusting headlights for the continent

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by LEXUS, Mar 17, 2014.

1. LEXUS

LEXUS Read Only Funster

Can someone help with instructions on taping the headlights on a FIAT Ducatto for driving in Europe.:thumb:

2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

dont bother just drive in the day :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Phill D

Phill D

it depends which Ducato you have where the blanking pieces go.

4. Phill D

Phill D

http://www.learnerstuff.co.uk/#

these i use and can be cut to suit[HI] most! [/HI] headlight types, the instructions are a little confusing so need reading a few times before applying. come off easy enough when you return:thumb:

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Find a wall, shine dipped head lights at it* and with a bit of card wave it over the headlights until you mask off the light which shines upwards in the top left of the beam. Tape over this bit.

Alternatively get the cheap kit off Amazon or eBay which comes with instructions!

*At night of course.

• Like Like x 1
  6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

On our Ducato (2005 model) the complete beam deflector sticker goes upside down to what is shown below..

[​IMG]

..with the top right part of the round bit sitting just over the bottom left quadrant of the (shrouded) headlamp bulb as you look at it straight on.

Well that's how I interpret the instruction sheet anyway.

It will vary from one model of Ducato to another.

Economy tip - buy them in packs of 10 pairs from eBay, don't wait to be ripped off at the ferry port.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Totally agree, my only unfounded fear would be anti British gendarmerie looking for cash fines, can they fine you for non deflected unlit lights??

I have never seen a foreign vehicle over here with anything on their lights

• Like Like x 3
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You could of course just drive on the left and claim your lights are correctly aligned. UKIP would love you.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Phill D

Phill D

just found this;;

quote!
    You MUST alter the (dip) headlamp beams for continental driving (there are records of people going for 6 hours and being fined for NOT having them - on the spot and IN CASH!!).

The problem is that most UK dip beams don't just dip, but they have asymetric beams that light up the near (left) side - this obviously dazzles anyone to the left.

Continental dip is different, it just dips.

10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

If you can easily get to the back of the headlight, there is usually a knob or two that you can loosen and then rotate the headlight. Should be instruct ions in the manual. My MH is an A-class on Mercedes with no access to the headlights (or indeed anything much in the engine bay). It also has 4 tiny round headlights that if you stuck a beam deflector on would pretty well block it altogether. I don't make any changes for the continent, as as it is a French motorhome (Rapido) they'll just assume they're set to dip to the right, infact they may be as far as I know.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

If your M/H is a 2006 Ducato onwards, then use the Eurolites as 'Magicsurfbus "said earlier in the thread and set them as per No 2 diagram.. Just did mine yesterday...
    PS.. any car shop will have them.. and I think if the cops see you in an English M/H they expect to see your lights blanked with "something".

12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Can't say I get this 'don't adapt because it's foreign' attitude at all. For ****'s sake shell out a few quid for a pair of stickers so you don't create a hazard to life on your host country's roads - it's not too much to ask surely.

I mean what else? Go striding around French supermarkets demanding to know where the Coleman's Mustard, Ty-Phoo Tea and Humbugs are in loud English? Insist on Fish & Chips and Steak & Kidney Pie in their restaurants? Set up a cricket game on the Grand Plage at Biarritz?

• Like Like x 2
  13. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Assuming you're not going to drive at night - just stick a bit of black electrical or gaffer tape on each lens (irrelevant where!) and just drive. If anyone ever looked - they'd assume you had 'deflectors' fitted and would look no further!
    Dont bother with all the technical stuff - just a bit of tape somewhere on the lens for appearances - jobs a good 'un :Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  14. maison

maison Funster

"Just drive in the day" ignores the fact that headlights may also be required in times of poor visibillity, fog, heavy rain etc.

If headlight beam not masked you could be pulled in by police. You could always try to wriggle out of the on the spot fine if your French/Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Dutch .....etc. is good enough.

Good luck with that!

Spend the £6 and keep the British reputation for fair play intact. :thumb: