Adjusting headlights for the continent (1 Viewer)

LEXUS

Free Member
Sep 7, 2011
KINCARDINE FIFE
Funster No
MH
BESSACAR E520
Exp
Can someone help with instructions on taping the headlights on a FIAT Ducatto for driving in Europe.:thumb:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
dont bother just drive in the day :Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
it depends which Ducato you have where the blanking pieces go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
http://www.learnerstuff.co.uk/#

these i use and can be cut to suit[HI] most! [/HI] headlight types, the instructions are a little confusing so need reading a few times before applying. come off easy enough when you return:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Find a wall, shine dipped head lights at it* and with a bit of card wave it over the headlights until you mask off the light which shines upwards in the top left of the beam. Tape over this bit.

Alternatively get the cheap kit off Amazon or eBay which comes with instructions!

*At night of course.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On our Ducato (2005 model) the complete beam deflector sticker goes upside down to what is shown below..

!BW+SGiQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl5L7,BK,C9Elm8g~~_35.JPG

..with the top right part of the round bit sitting just over the bottom left quadrant of the (shrouded) headlamp bulb as you look at it straight on.

Well that's how I interpret the instruction sheet anyway.

It will vary from one model of Ducato to another.

Economy tip - buy them in packs of 10 pairs from eBay, don't wait to be ripped off at the ferry port.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You could of course just drive on the left and claim your lights are correctly aligned. UKIP would love you.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
just found this;;

quote!
You MUST alter the (dip) headlamp beams for continental driving (there are records of people going for 6 hours and being fined for NOT having them - on the spot and IN CASH!!).

The problem is that most UK dip beams don't just dip, but they have asymetric beams that light up the near (left) side - this obviously dazzles anyone to the left.

Continental dip is different, it just dips.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you can easily get to the back of the headlight, there is usually a knob or two that you can loosen and then rotate the headlight. Should be instruct ions in the manual. My MH is an A-class on Mercedes with no access to the headlights (or indeed anything much in the engine bay). It also has 4 tiny round headlights that if you stuck a beam deflector on would pretty well block it altogether. I don't make any changes for the continent, as as it is a French motorhome (Rapido) they'll just assume they're set to dip to the right, infact they may be as far as I know.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
If your M/H is a 2006 Ducato onwards, then use the Eurolites as 'Magicsurfbus "said earlier in the thread and set them as per No 2 diagram.. Just did mine yesterday...
PS.. any car shop will have them.. and I think if the cops see you in an English M/H they expect to see your lights blanked with "something".

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Can't say I get this 'don't adapt because it's foreign' attitude at all. For ****'s sake shell out a few quid for a pair of stickers so you don't create a hazard to life on your host country's roads - it's not too much to ask surely.

I mean what else? Go striding around French supermarkets demanding to know where the Coleman's Mustard, Ty-Phoo Tea and Humbugs are in loud English? Insist on Fish & Chips and Steak & Kidney Pie in their restaurants? Set up a cricket game on the Grand Plage at Biarritz?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Assuming you're not going to drive at night - just stick a bit of black electrical or gaffer tape on each lens (irrelevant where!) and just drive. If anyone ever looked - they'd assume you had 'deflectors' fitted and would look no further!
Dont bother with all the technical stuff - just a bit of tape somewhere on the lens for appearances - jobs a good 'un :winky:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
"Just drive in the day" ignores the fact that headlights may also be required in times of poor visibillity, fog, heavy rain etc.

If headlight beam not masked you could be pulled in by police. You could always try to wriggle out of the on the spot fine if your French/Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German, Dutch .....etc. is good enough.

Good luck with that!

Spend the £6 and keep the British reputation for fair play intact. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back