Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Can anyone offer advise, my Rimor motorhome, purchased recently, has a small amount of adhesive/sealer oozing from the joints round the roof and side trims. I`m not sure what the substance is, although I assume some sort of Sikaflex. The stuff is still soft so I can probably gently scrape most of it off, but what solvent can I use to final clean. The sides are aluminium and the roof GRP. Look forward to your answers
Gazzeroo

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It will probably be non-setting mastic such as Carafax Caraseal IDL 99, just a bit of excess squeezed out when the seals were made.

You can remove it using white spirit but it won't do any harm to leave it. If you do decide to remove it make sure you don't breach the seal.

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Sticky stuff remover sold in most hardware stores

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Found WD40 is sometimes good for that

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
IMHO I would leave it as the seal is made across the joint and by cutting it back you risk damaging the seal that's why the factory doesn't cut it off and it will probably ouze out again later on anyway.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As Graham says it will be a non setting mastic, if you want to scrape some away cut a plastic bottle cap in half (vertical cut as if on the bottle still) and use that as it will take away the excess and leave a nice round profile in the corner, then just clean up with white spirit as Graham says, finish off with Autoglym Super Resin polish.

Be prepared for it to come back again though.

Martin

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks for all that, I would leave it, but it has gone black and spoils the look and I`m a fussy bugger. MF comes up trumps yet again, thanks
Gary

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
Just removed the remnants of a windscreen sticky label and some adhesive gunk from various areas of the motorhome.
I strongly recommend CT1's Multisolve - came off no bother in very short order. Apparently, it's also great for removing trodden-in chewing gum, dried road tar or roofing tar. Not widely available as yet and about a tenner for a 50ml spray can, but boy does it do the job. Check out CT1's website:
http://www.ct1ltd.com
Their CT1 sealant and adhesive is also a must-have item. Definitely scope out their products on the website. You'll be glad you did.
(No, I'm not an employee and I don't get a commission!)
David

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
Thanks for that David, I'll definitely give it a look

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you use some solvent that eats into the mastic you could be shooting yourself in the foot.

OP
OP
gazzeroo

gazzeroo

Free Member
Sep 14, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie
The mastic I was trying to remove actually came off quite well with white spirit, used sparingly, the van looks a lot better now, although I was surprised how thin the paint is!

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
@gazzeroo
Hilldweller is quite right. CT1's Multisolve will weaken and liquefy sealants (e.g. as used in kitchens and bathrooms) making them easy to remove. Sorry, I should have spotted the use you wanted to make; glad the white spirit worked out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back