Adding second leisure battery - different controller needed?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Melchior, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Melchior

Melchior Read Only Funster

Hello chaps and chapesses,

I want to add a second leisure battery to our Knaus. As standard it (I think obviously!) has two batteries, one for the engine and one leisure.

At first I thought I can just add the second one and connect it in parallel to the existing one. Then I wonder if actually it's better to change the charger control unit thing to one which can look after the 3 batteries (in case one starts failing, you'd never really know if you keep the 2 battery controller)

Thoughts, experiences... please share :)

M

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Just wire it in parallel with the existing leisure battery, with a suitable fuse in the line. No need to change charger or controller.

3. Boycie

Boycie Funster

4. mapa

mapa Read Only Funster

You are always better using 2 batteries in parallel rather than using batteries singly and changing when one goes flat. The reason is that batteries last longer if they are discharged slowly and evenly, and running a battery down low will drastically shorten it's life. Make sure both batteries are as close to identical as possible I.e same ahc and same construction type.

5. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

Also do you have to keep it within the charger limits? My knaus original charger (LG 616) Battery capacity: 50 Ah – 160 Ah