adding maps

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by nahnotme, Dec 16, 2009.

1. nahnotme

nahnotme Read Only Funster

I have a tom tom go 3rd edition and as im hoping to go to spain need one with western europe maps. I have aquired said maps but the files are too big to all go in, there is about 200mb space and no slot to ad memory. I cant afford a new satnav and as im driving alone need one, can I use the tomtom as a GPS device with my laptop ?

2. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

I wouldn't have thought you could use the TomTom with a laptop for navigation. You could get a bluetooth GPS receiver GPS RECIEVER for about £25, if your laptop doesn't have bluetooth you can get a dongle think these are about a tenner. I have my TomTom on my PDA & use a BT GPS with it & I can use it with the laptop running Autoroute.

3. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

You could get one of these
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GLOBALSAT-USB...S_Accessories_Software_ET?hash=item3a527a84f2
    I have one and it works well, cheaper and more reliable than most bluetooth GPS. If you have a handheld GPS such as a Garmin eTrex you can get a virtual com port cable to connect it to a laptop.

Another option is to get seperate France and Iberia maps and only load the relevant map on your TomTom.

Andy

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

did you order the correct map files for your device ?

contact tomtom for installation advice.

did you read this...

IMPORTANT: Some versions of this device have limited internal memory. Before purchasing a map that may be too big, either use the device serial number checker (the box to the right) or connect your device to TomTom HOME to check how much memory you have available.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009