Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Ahead of fitting a small 12v TV, I need to fit a cigar socket to power it -
There is already a 3 core (black (ground), blue (+) and brown (-) inner cables) 12v power supply pre lead from the EBL to the TV area, with the blue and brown pre-wired to the EBL and the Black wired to the earth beside the EBL..

the cable ends by the TV area are terminated with three x 3 way wago blocks, and I've tested the wiring and it is all good and works so connecting the cigar socket should be straightforward.

The Question is what do I do with the black ground cable at the cigar socket end ? Do I just leave it unconnected? I think the cigar socket will only have contacts for the + and - cables, and no contact for the ground. or should I / do I need to ground it somehow?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The 12V wiring in the motorhome usually works on the same principle as it does in a vehicle, i.e. negative earth. Therefore the ground and the negative are one and the same wire. I suspect one of your wires is some form or permanent live and the other is some form of switched live.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It is irrelevant what you do with it. That type of cable is used on some Continental MHs for all internal wiring & usually the unused wire is left disconnected. Your TV (any TV!) doesn't need an extra earth. The only check that you should make is that the blue and brown are indeed +/- 12v. The EBL drawing should tell you.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
IMG_4467.JPG
I've looked at how another 12v hella DIN socket is wired in the van and it appears the blue and brown are connected to the socket, with no sign of the black....
when I trace the three core cable for the tv to the ebl, I see the blue and brown cables entering the ebl in block 8.
The individual 3 core cables are conveniently identified with coloured tape codes, so I have both ends of a yellow yellow blue taped cable :)

If I connect a light bulb with crocodile clips to the blue & brown cables, it comes on.
I did notice the black earth cable was screwed to the earth strip beside the ebl.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
WARNING: Germans often use Brown for Ground/Earth/Negative. Always check with a voltmeter.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Gerry

Just ignore the black wire. Some would say connect any spare wires to Negative for future use, It is up to you.

Are you 100% sure that the black is "grounded"? Are you sure that is doesn't switch to 12 VDC when the engine runs? With the engine off a meter or test light would register ) 0VDC through the D+ on the alternator

If not, it is just the converter using three core cable instead of twin core

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Thanks Eddie. I'm 90% sure it is grounded. Beside the ebl, under the passenger seat, there is a small finned plate which appears to be bolted to the chassis with maybe 30? Small fins to which it appears the 3rd strand of all the 12v internal cabling is screwed to. The blue and brown strands plug into the ebl blocks, like block 8 in the photo above.
I suspect it is a case of 3 strand cable being used when 2 strand will do.
I'll take a couple on photos later when I get home

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
IMG_0122.JPG
Here are a couple of photos as promised.
The area where I'll fit a socket.
IMG_0120.JPG

The other end of the cable at the EBL end
IMG_0123.JPG

And the black strand terminated on what I assume is a ground strip?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Get a meter on it to be sure of what's what. Don't try to do 12v electrics with out one. Then you will know won't you.
I agree. I could be pre wired for satellite in which case you will have 12 VDC, 0VDC and D+

D+ would be "live" only when the engine is running to force the satellite dish to close

As you have already established that you have 12 volt for your socket why not just leave it?

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
It is pre wired for SAT, I'll check with a multimeter. :)

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Update -
cigar socket fitted successfully - thanks everyone for advice. I tested the cables with a multimeter -
The black cable appears to be "live" when the engine is off, and not live when the engine is "on"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back