Added extras

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wizbangs, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

We've possibly seen our next new Burstner MH. Just got to do a visual and then tweak the deal to include some add ons. Which of these do you consider as a waste, worthwhile or essential add ons please?

In no particular order:-

Reversing camera
    Solar panel
    Second leisure battery
    Awning
    Safari room
    Extra burglar alarm
    Anything else? (Wine rack and Sat dish already included as my essentials)

Thanks all, Mary :)

2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

3. aba

aba

Reversing camera = absolutely but get a twin one that looks back aswel as down ( can reduce insurance )
    Solar panel = minimum of 80 watt but bigger is better
    Second leisure battery = essential for off grid camping
    Awning = waste
    Safari room = waste
    Extra burglar alarm = if its not a vanbitz dont bother
    Anything else? (Wine rack and Sat dish already included as my essentials)sat domes are good but fixed so you may have to park facing the other way to clear trees to get signal where as such as the vu qube can be moved to a clearing.

4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Personally I would say that the awning and safari room could be essential but it depends on both your layout and your needs. If you don't want to stop for long periods then no need but they are good to have at times, especially if your van layout is such that you don't want to be stuck in the van.

5. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Would only add reversing camera (also used as rear view mirror), alarm - mine's a Cobra

Awning not used in last 12 months.

On hook up on driveway so would not add solar or extra battery - just make sure existing batteries up to scratch.

Buy 'extras' when you find you need them.

Good luck with the new van.

6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I would say rollout awning very useful to keep the sun off, but safari room just extra clutter and weight which will always be in the way and rarely be used.
    I also would not bother with Satellite dish as theres nothing on the telly and definitely not a wine rack, the best way to carry wine in a MH is in a box, lighter, space saving and unbreakable.

7. Encantador

Encantador Funster

Safari room essential (for us), anything more than 1 night and I would use it, largish dog also prefers to be in it than the MH.

We had outside TV and gas points fitted as part of the deal and so far (9 months) have not used either.

8. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi guys here's my twopennith for what its worth:Wink:

Insurance always ask if I have a camera and a good wired one will be a pig to wire DIY so I think worth having done:thumb:

We wild camp a lot, so solar and battery essential, BUT both are quite easy and cheap DIY, 80W solar and 110 bat about £250 or less :thumb:

We have used and enjoyed the awning but not often, so down to your use, do you park up and sit around for days on end? :Wink:

Safari room I will never use, so not for us but do you park up and sit around for days on end in the winter maybe?:Wink:

I do not have an alarm and our van is relaxing in its locked and CCTV'ed indoor winter storage, but what price is your security? where do you keep your van? but it needs to be good and it don't come any better than vanbitz:thumb:

Anyway whatever you decide I'm sure you will enjoy her so good luck:thumb:

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

What about a refillable gas system?

10. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Thank you all for your advice. We are refining our list of requirements as per some suggestions and certainly an awning and safari room seem superfluous at present. We spoke to someone who had the gas conversion done and I think it will take too long to cover the cost versus return. We'll be pushing up the daisies before then.

So, definitely yes to the reversing camera, a very strong probable on the alarm, and a hard look at the 2nd leisure battery and solar panel, plus a satellite tv system. Time for some research on products and costings now. Vanbitz was my first port of call but his website has issues at the moment.

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I would suggest the safari room for colder times, and wind stopping nets for warmer.
    Cuts down on what we carry during warmer months and the nets go up in a couple of minutes

If you like a bit of telly, add that and either an aerial ( fitted not on a pole ) or sat system

12. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

As part of a "Deal" I would go for the awning(but not safari room). Expensive & not easy DIY to fit. Awning very useful in sun & rain, use ours a lot in rain.
    Also the reversing camera especialy if there is no "through vision" & for insurance discount

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  13. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Well a 5 hour round trip to fid out what we don't want! Before we travelled, I didn't even think about looking at the windows... duh. In the lounge there was just one small window on one side and a narrow vista through the kitchen door on the other. It was quite claustrophobic. Hubby & I like to look out the windows and watch the world go by. There is no way we could have done that. Such a shame.

On the good side, I saw and fell in love with another Burstner, this time an A class, with the perfect front and large lounge windows each side, but saddly it had a french bed, rather than a low island or low singles. However, I absolutely fell in love with the front end. Two bench seats, open windows each side, a sensible table. Perfect. So, it's back to the brochures tonight and the NEC again tomorrow. :Smile: I don't feel it was a wasted day, as finding out what I don't want is equally important as discovering that watching the world go by is for me another essential. The £50 in diesel won't matter this time next year, so it doesn't matter too much now.... and I got us home safe and sound, that's the main thing. So a glass of red and back to the brochures. :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi Mary,

Go on the Pilote stand and have a word with our Andy, very knowledgable and used to full time in the past.

Peter

15. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Thank you Peter, I certainly will. I appreciate your help both here and behind the scenes. Mary :Smile: