LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've just taken out insurance and breakdown cover (uk and Europe) for £368, both of us as drivers, with Saga. I wasn't there but apparently OH placed his head on his desk when he realised saga were the cheapest, another reminder of his passing youth:cry:

damar

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
buckinhgam bucks
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
first van in 1967
We have always got our insurance and breakdown cover together with safeguard or saga the reason is that you get 365 days cover in Europe and the other is that they use the AA, breakdown service in Europe, unfortunately we have had to use them on a couple of occasions and the survive was just great. They arrived very quickly took us to a garage the garage looked at the van and said parts would take a day to get them, within 30 minutes a taxi arrived with an interpreter to take us to a hotel that was all ready booked for us, when the van was ready the taxi and interpreter arrived to be reunited with our van. Many years ago we used another breakdown service and the problem we found was the language over the phone, with the AA you go through to France and it is all organised from there with good English speaking people. A few days later we had phone call from them to make sure that every thing was ok , so for us the service was second to non.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Renewed Today.
Phone answered after first ring and took less than two minutes to renew with credit card.
The German lady at the other end spoke better, unaccented English than most of the Mumbai call centre employees used by so many UK-based companies.

gordieboy

Free Member
Feb 16, 2010
Funster No
We rang today as well and we're told the same thing, it only happened a week ago!!!it is ok to renew but not now to join.

Last edited:

gordieboy

Free Member
Feb 16, 2010
Funster No
ADAC head office sent out a memo last week. No more UK members!

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I did hear that ADAC had fallen out with the AA, who service the UK members. Maybe this has something to do with it. The AA were losing a lot of business to ADAC so I can understand there stance on the matter.

hi Dave
Do you have breakdown recovery for Morocco with anyone?

gordieboy

Free Member
Feb 16, 2010
Funster No
Have just rung Saga for breakdown in Europe and Morocco they only cover breakdown for a maximum length of 7 mtrs does anyone know of another company please?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Have just rung Saga for breakdown in Europe and Morocco they only cover breakdown for a maximum length of 7 mtrs does anyone know of another company please?

A.D.A.C.:ROFLMAO:BUSBY

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
hi Dave
Do you have breakdown recovery for Morocco with anyone?

Hi pal, I have not renewed with ADAC as I have breakdown cover with Saga for Europe. Now I am running an old Merc I should have no problems with Moroccan breakdowns. Anyone running a non computer controlled engine will have no problems getting any required repairs done in Morocco. If you still have your 694 then to be honest I would not worry to much about breakdowns out there. I had a complete new clutch fitted for around £100 in an elderly Peugeot 2.5 turbo diesel 2 years ago, parts and labour.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011

I would try them again. They have accepted my van at 8 mtrs and recovered it in Spain last year.
Mind you as I posted then the dosey bugger who loaded and unloaded did scrape the back end. :ROFLMAO:

gordieboy

Free Member
Feb 16, 2010
Funster No
Thank you very much for all of your replies.I have just spoke with customer services of saga and they will insure vehicles of any length! But breakdown cover only covers Europe and does not include morocco, so back to the drawing board!!!

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Thank you very much for all of your replies.I have just spoke with customer services of saga and they will insure vehicles of any length! But breakdown cover only covers Europe and does not include morocco, so back to the drawing board!!!

Sorry that is why I took the Morocco cover with ADAC sos you cannot get that now.
However as those of us who do have it are covered in any vehicle make sure you stay mates with those of us who still have it. So if I am sitting in your truck when it goes tits up I am covered, know what I mean. The bottom line is don't worry. Unless you are in a state of the art fly by wire piece of kit the Moroccan guys will fix it for peanuts. Just keep touch with us all, you will be OK:thumb::thumb::thumb:

What do you drive by the way? If it's a Harrier jump jet then forget all the forgoing, you are on your own. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry that is why I took the Morocco cover with ADAC sos you cannot get that now.
However as those of us who do have it are covered in any vehicle make sure you stay mates with those of us who still have it. So if I am sitting in your truck when it goes tits up I am covered, know what I mean. The bottom line is don't worry. Unless you are in a state of the art fly by wire piece of kit the Moroccan guys will fix it for peanuts. Just keep touch with us all, you will be OK:thumb::thumb::thumb:

What do you drive by the way? If it's a Harrier jump jet then forget all the forgoing, you are on your own. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb::thumb:

You never used to be that devious and cunning Malcolm. You are obviously learning from Smudger :Eeek:

gordieboy

Free Member
Feb 16, 2010
Funster No
Thanks again, we will keep our fingers crossed!!! We have a Ford Gulf Stream Yellowstone .

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Comfort Insurance (AVIVA)

You get 365 days EU Travel, as standard
You get up to £5,000 cover for personal affects and belongings
Your awnings are covered for their full value if they are fixed to the motorhome
Your generator is covered for up to £500
Optional additional Cover for Satellite Navigation Systems & Satellite TV systems
You get new for Old Replacement Vehicle (up to 2 years old and less than 12,000 miles)
Optional full UK and EU Breakdown Cover (RAC or RAC Commercial)
Medical Expenses up to £100 for anyone injured in your motorhome
Window/Windscreen breakage cover up to £3,000 any one claim
Lock Replacements following theft of keys or transmitter
Gas explosion cover
We can cover private conversions/self-builds
We can arrange cover for full-timers

Green Card Available for other Countries

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Comfort Insurance (AVIVA)

You get 365 days EU Travel, as standard
You get up to £5,000 cover for personal affects and belongings
Your awnings are covered for their full value if they are fixed to the motorhome
Your generator is covered for up to £500
Optional additional Cover for Satellite Navigation Systems & Satellite TV systems
You get new for Old Replacement Vehicle (up to 2 years old and less than 12,000 miles)
Optional full UK and EU Breakdown Cover (RAC or RAC Commercial)
Medical Expenses up to £100 for anyone injured in your motorhome
Window/Windscreen breakage cover up to £3,000 any one claim
Lock Replacements following theft of keys or transmitter
Gas explosion cover
We can cover private conversions/self-builds
We can arrange cover for full-timers

Green Card Available for other Countries

Yes but do they offer any breakdown cover in Morocco and for large units in particular. I cannot find any from anyone other than ADAC and am not sure if they will take new members from UK.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes but do they offer any breakdown cover in Morocco and for large units in particular. I cannot find any from anyone other than ADAC and am not sure if they will take new members from UK.
Evening Malcolm. :Smile:

I can't find the thread, but apparently someone on FUN has been in touch with ADAC, and they are still accepting both UK renewals, and new UK customers. A link was provided for membership registration...............but like I say, I can't find it. :Sad:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Malc...
Comfort and MHF insurance offer the same policy underwritten by Aviva.
From what they say it's " keep all receipts and claim back once in UK"..
As I think most people may know by now after reading this and other threads it is a case of getting yourself sorted out over there. You cant just make a call and have a breakdown truck turn up like they do with the AA/RAC/ADAC etc in Europe...

All part of the adventure....

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
P.S. FOUND IT

HTH Malcolm. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Thanks both Jock and Tonka
I am OK
I have Green card for Morocco with Saga
I have breakdown cover from ADAC
My post was because I did not feel Geordieboy's question had been answered. It seems I just muddied the water again:Sad::Sad:
Sorry all

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
ADAC (or not)

All those who are members of ADAC be careful - and for those contemplating taking out ADAC cover, please see the following letter received from ADAC back in July of this year.

"Sehr geehrter Herr Smith
unten der oben genannten Mitgliedsnummer liegt uns eine Schadenmeldung vor. Wir stellen Ihre ADAC-Plus-Mitgliedschaft, nach Punkt B2 der Bedingungen fur ADAC-Plus-Mitglieder, in eine Mitgliedschaft ohne Plus-Leistungen um.

Zum gleichen Zeitpunkt endet auch Ihr UnterwegsSchutz zusammen mit dem PartnerPlusPaket. Bitte vergleichen Sie hierzu Punkt C. 3 d) der Bedlingungen ADAC-UnterwegsSchutz.

Leistungen aus der Mitgliedschaft bleiben hiervon unberuhrt.
Ihr Anspruch auf Leistungen aus der ADAC-Plus-Mitgliedschaft endet einen Monat nach Zugang dieses Schreibens.

Den verbleibenden Beitrag schreiben wir Ihrem Beitragskonto gut.

Mit freundlichen Grussen"

Basically it's telling me that although I still have membership of ADAC, that membership will only apply when I am in Germany, nowhere else.

I spoke to several people at ADAC and it appears that if you are not a German national, they do not want to pay the fees of breakdown/recovery agents outside Germany. I was told "it is too expensive".

I have now cancelled my membership - having been told I could have a refund for the remaining time, they then told me they could not send a cheque (too expensive to them), they could not refund to my credit card (as it was a British credit card, but from which they had happily taken my membership fee!).

Please be aware that they can and will cancel your membership outside of Germany, without any explanation, if you become 'a bad risk'. I have just heard of another motorhomer who has also received this type of letter having called ADAC out twice!!

Daedalus

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
End of cover

I just translated your message from ADAC which my translator worked out as follows:-

"below the above membership number is before us a claim. We provide your ADAC Plus membership, according to item B2 of the conditions for ADAC Plus members in a membership without a plus-services to. At the same time also the way your cover ends together with the Partner Plus package. Please compare this item C. 3 d) the ADAC Bedlingungen Heading protection. Benefits of membership shall remain unaffected untouched. Your right to benefits from the ADAC Plus membership ends one month after receipt of this letter. We write the remaining post your contribution account well. With friendly greetings "

It doesn't make much sense to me and I cannot see where they say your membership only applies in Germany although, as you say, they are clearly saying your benefits run out one month after the date of their letter.

I am concerned therefore as to why they will only cover you in Germany and whether that applies to anyone else. Could it be because you have called on them for assistance too man times. I wider if you can elaborate please.

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
I just translated your message from ADAC which my translator worked out as follows:-

"below the above membership number is before us a claim. We provide your ADAC Plus membership, according to item B2 of the conditions for ADAC Plus members in a membership without a plus-services to. At the same time also the way your cover ends together with the Partner Plus package. Please compare this item C. 3 d) the ADAC Bedlingungen Heading protection. Benefits of membership shall remain unaffected untouched. Your right to benefits from the ADAC Plus membership ends one month after receipt of this letter. We write the remaining post your contribution account well. With friendly greetings "

It doesn't make much sense to me and I cannot see where they say your membership only applies in Germany although, as you say, they are clearly saying your benefits run out one month after the date of their letter.

I am concerned therefore as to why they will only cover you in Germany and whether that applies to anyone else. Could it be because you have called on them for assistance too man times. I wider if you can elaborate please.

I also translated the letter using Google - unfortunately it doesn't translate too well or give the contextual meaning of the letter.

As a consequence I telephoned ADAC to find out what was going on - as I said earlier, I was told my membership would remain active if I was to call out the breakdown service whilst in Germany (basic membership), but nowhere else in Europe - ADAC Plus (or Morocco for that matter!).

From my conversations with a very polite English speaking lady I learned that 'foreign members' apparently cost ADAC too much for call-outs, especially in the UK (they use the AA to assist their members over here).

I was advised that I would no longer be covered anywhere outside of Germany and should arrange other cover.

I cannot give any further explanation other than the above - I only report what was said to me, and, as it turns out, the same thing has now happened to another motorhomer who has reported the fact on MHF.

It may be that some folk do not / will not have a problem with ADAC, I only warn of what has / can happen if / when you request assistance whilst in a foreign country (and for ADAC's purposes that includes the UK) other than Germany.

You must make up your own minds, just be aware of the possibilty of losing your cover.

Daedalus

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My renewal is due but read this about 50 miles only recovery is it true?

I know its 2009 discussion though...........:RollEyes:

Last edited:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
My renewal is due but read this about 50 miles only recovery is it true?

I know its 2009 discussion though...........:RollEyes:

NO this is not true, they will recover you to the nearest suitable gge up to a cost of €200, then if gge cannot repair vehicle within 2/3 days or if spares will take longer than 3 days to arrive they will then repatriate you and the m/h back home.
I am at the moment it Sicily nearly 1800mls from home (Bicester Oxfordshire) and ADAC was just about to repatriate us home by flying us home (and the dog) and transporting the m/h and Trailer home on its own, therefore ADAC does exactly what they say they will do in there t&cs, don't know and cannot say why some people have a problem with ADAC, but in my case (have a bad leg that needs operation maybe) ADAC have been superb as firstly I was going to be flown home on my own with the trailer being transported home separately all being sorted and paid for by ADAC with Ambulance picking me up from camp site here in Sicily and taking me to the airport where wheel chair was laid on for my transport to the plane, and same at heathrow to the waiting ambulance, then driven home right to my doorstep, then another ambulance to hospital when I was ready for the Operation, and when I told ADAC that my partner was going to drive m/h home herself, but ADAC insisted that they fly both of us home and transport the m/h and trailer home back to Bicester, So ADAC as far as I am concerned have lived up to there part 100%.
Unfortunately we have an old dog that would not maybe live up to an air flight home and my leg has got a lot better in the past couple of days so I have cancelled all the arrangements to take me home and will see how it goes in the next few days, and ADAC is still on standby if I need any help.
What else can I say about ADAC we are 3000kms from home, with a 25 year old m/h, 2t twin axle 3m long trailer, and a dog and ADAC were perfect in everyway an you could expect in an emergency and they have lived up to there emergency repatriation of m/h,trailer,dog and us. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Gary,

I am genuinely pleased that you are receiving the service expected in times of need, and that ADAC have come up trumps for you. ::bigsmile:

Well done ADAC. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back