ADAC Cover? -PLEASE BE AWARE-

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by JockandRita, Apr 14, 2012.

1. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hello all.

We feel it only fair to pre warn you to reconsider taking out ADAC cover if you have a large MH.
    Although I have had three english speaking conversations with Barbara Lorenz of ADAC's membership department, confirming that our large MH would be covered for breakdown and recovery up to 7.5 tonnes, just this week Rita and I have come unstuck big time, due to ADAC's €200 limit for breakdown. :Sad:

Due to an immobiliser failure, ADAC's partner in France sent a recovery vehicle which was not man enough to tow us to the local Fiat agent, 11km away in Narbonne. The hydraulic hoist failed to keep the front of the MH raised off the road, and as a result, we were left stranded by the roadside with 2 x new front tyres, completely ruined. :cry:
    We then had to agree to pay out €500 before they would send a suitable recovery vehicle to pick us up.............several hours later.

We are well out of pocket now, and two days behind with our Spanish trip. Relying on the translated information from Barbara Lorenz , has been a costly mistake for us, which we will just have to "grin and bear", although we will be taking up the issue with them.

Regards to all,

Jock & Rita.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Sad to hear this

Sad the hear about your problems and hope they do the right thing by paying all your costs.
    Wishing you both all the best and that from now everything goes ok and you have a great holiday with the rest of your time travelling around Europe.
    MikeD

3. JockandRita

Many thanks Mike. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock & Rita.

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Hope you get a satisfactory result in the end, Jock.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Jock & Rita sorry to hear of your misfortune please keep us informed how you get on.Are you saying if the engine blew (would cost above 200euros) Adac would not cover the van ?
    terry

6. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Hi Jock & Rita
    Sorry to hear of your problems and we hope they are now sorted
    Enjoy the Spanish trip and I am sure you will sort it out onyour return
    Steve n Jan

:thumb:

7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi jock and /Rita, I'm really sorry to hear of your problems and you have me really worried now as only just taken out ADAC and like you spoke to Barbara Lorenz. The cover seemed very good indeed. Problems caused by the recovery firm really should be covered by ADAC, after all their cover is specific. You will have the right to sue for out of pocket expences. Paying such a large sum up front appears to be a ripoff on the part of the garage concerned and I do find that worrying after all thats why we take out cover. Do please keep us informed, The outcome may well cost ADAC quite a few renewals next year.

8. TDH

TDH Funster

I took out ADAC cover last week. Barbara pointed out to me that France was the only place where we may have to cough up up front, because of soe issue that is peculiar to the French breakdown revovery system. She also said that should that happen we would be reimbursed.

Sorry to hear about your travails - hope it works out for you. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This particular French rule only applies on Autoroutes where only the official recovery company is allowed to operate.. you pay upfront and apply for reimbursement from whoever you have breakdown insurance with..

EDIT

there was a notice about this in an earlier thread ..

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/continental-touring/9152-breakdown-recovery-french-peage-toll-road.html

More information

http://www.justlanded.com/english/France/Articles/Travel-Leisure/French-Roads

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I think the point is being missed if i read Jocks post right
    He seems to be saying the maximum cost of recovery is limited to 200 Euros:Eek!:
    absolutely usless amount when larger vehicles are in need of recovery

I also suspect that most Euro recovery firms are used by ADAC and they will all be aware of the tiny limit set by ADAC hence, if the cost is more they want it up front.
    I also believed that repatriation was covered if your vehicle could not be fixed in a reasonable time, a 200Euro limit aint going to pay for that is it:Doh:
    looks like a lot of members are going to get disappointed
    Geo
    PS it looks like faulty equipment caused his tyres to get damaged by scrubbing them out as the hydraulics failed whilst trying to to move him
    If Jocks van was too heavy the hydraulics should'nt have lifted him in the first place, a safety cut off valve would have prevented it doing so,
    By virtue of the fact it did, and then allowed the lift to drop the van onto its front wheels whilst being towed indicates a hydraulic leak or failure

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ash

Ash Trader - Service & Repairs Life Member

Really sorry to hear this jock , I hope you get it sorted soon and enjoy the rest of your holiday :thumb:

12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes indeed Geo .. the €200 towing limit is abysmal .. as you say, pretty much useless if you are over 3.5t ..

The T&Cs in English are on our download section,

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/downloads/touring-information/12/adac-handbook-conditions-pdf-125/

13. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Sorry to hear of your problems Jock.

On hearing of your situation I had a look at the Breakdown section of my policy with Comfort and copy below the wording. There is an overall limit of £2,500 in respect of costs arising from a breakdown but no individual limit on the recovery costs. In this respect the cover seems more advantageous than the ADAC one.

SECTION READS-

Breakdowns on continental motorways

If you break down on a continental motorway use

the roadside emergency telephones.

You cannot normally call RAC Control Centres from

these. You will be connected to the police or

authorised motorway service, who will send a

breakdown recovery vehicle. In France the same

procedure applies on motorway service areas. You

may have to pay labour and towing charges on the

spot and an authorised tariff is normally applicable.

However, this will only be to the recovery company's

own depot in the case of any tow. These items are

covered and you should obtain a receipt to claim a

refund on your return home.

Mike

14. Terry

Terry Funster

I have been assured the same happens with ADAC s cover you claim the money back-from my understanding only the French recovery firm is allowed to recover you off the m/way etc then Adac s take over either to a repair shop or home etc you choose
    terry

15. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

sorry to hear the news

Sorry to hear the news, and I hope you will keep us all up dated on your return and how it turns out.

While I have ADAC I also have Safeguard insurance on my RV and that has a much higher recovery for motor homes or RV's over 3.5 tons up to 7.5 tons... over £2k under £3.5 tons it is lower for some reason.

I do not travel the toll routes myself... but if I am not wrong the rules also apply to duel carriageways which are not tolls.

ADAC has a lot of cover for the money. I am sure they will act as we expect as members and sort out the costs.. but always get a receipt.

Bob:thumb:

16. mick noe

mick noe Funster

Just to point out that only being recovered by authorised companys from certain roads in france is not only limited to toll roads but motorways as well we had first hand experience of this. (did not need towing off as I repaired the fault before they arrived:BigGrin:)
    On breaking down I of course phoned Flux rescue asssistance from my mobile and was told to use roadside phone and when rescue driver arrived to phone back and a french speaking operator would handle things from there.Do not know what would have happened then as did not get that far.

17. JockandRita

You're absolutely bang on there old chap. :Laughing:

Seriously, you are spot on Geo, in every aspect of your reply.
    Despite my voiced reservations, my efforts to show the first operator the VIN plate and the converter's plate whilst he was on the phone to his control, and the production of the V5 stating the GVW as 5000Kgs, they obviously thought that they knew better.
    And when second matey turns up with the IVECO cab type recovery dolly, and I again express my concerns about it's capability, he still carries on...........regardless what information or concerns the MH owner tries to convey to the operator.............he/she still knows better. Absolute bo##ocks.

When taking out the policy, I (rightly or wrongly), understood the €200 limit to apply only to the French Autoroutes, (as per the explanation of French Autoroute rules above), and not as a limit in total. How naive was I, eh?

Many thanks to all, (too many to mention individually), who have wished us well with our plight. We will try to keep you all informed of progress......................if any. :Sad:

Best regards to all,

Jock & Rita.

• Like Like x 1
  18. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

So sorryt to hear about your plight Jock, ADAC is responsable for the damage caused by the recovery driver to the tyres as they are the agent of ADAC and you should be able to get a full refund on your 500oo euros as well as your vehicle is under 7.5t therefore should be covered up to 200 euros for a local tow to nearest gge, and if not repairable then onward recovery to the UK or your destination if no more cost, for repairs , the 200 euros is only for the local tow or roadside repair, do hope you get your 500 euros back and the 2 new tyres replaced by ADAC as they are responsable for there agents damage, Please keep us informed Jock and again best of luck mate Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

19. JockandRita

Many thanks Garry,

Rita and I hope that you are right in your analysis of ADAC's terms and conditions. Until we get home and post off the claim with a supporting letter, we won't know the outcome of it all.

The front tyres were replaced (like for like), by ADR, the recovery agent, before we left Narbonne.

Cheers for now,

Jock.

20. motorvating

motorvating Read Only Funster

Last year in France a kamakaze Seagull flew into the glass in the over cab bedroom completely demolishing the glass. ADAC were useless, and left me stranded in France. After many calls to ADAC over three days for assistance I gave up and called Euro Glass who helped out.

Last month I called ADAC again because of a flat battery and was told by the AA that they would not come out as the vehicle is bigger then 2.5 tons in weight, so called ADAC who confirmed this, and was advised to find and call out a commercial recovery unit and then claim the money back.

Needless to say we will not be taking out ADAC recovery again, very unimpressed with them.