ACSI Camping.....disappointed (1 Viewer)

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I defy anyone to find a campsite less than 14 euros north of Rome . French campsites are never cheap. Do you know any that charge less than 14 euros for ONE night stay ? ( I know one )
I am not asking about aires or camping a la ferme kind of stopovers but campsites in the
usual sense of the word.
Thanks

A couple of weeks ago I stayed on a site at Huisseau-sur-Cosson, more or less on the Loire, a couple of miles from Chateau Chambord, for a grand total of 12 Euros. The site and facilities were immaculate. Admittedly there was no supermarket, volleyball net or table tennis, and the kiddies playground consisted of a few big logs, but hey, we coped.

I had a look at the ACSI and decided against it - does anyone here have any thoughts, or experience, of the France Passion scheme?

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I had a look at the ACSI and decided against it - does anyone here have any thoughts, or experience, of the France Passion scheme?

I tried a couple lately and was not impressed.

The first we could not find due to vague directions. The second was coerced into spending 44 euros on brandy and the third I had to resist into being forced into a glorified farm shop.

No, not impressed at all!

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Thanks for that one TDH.

Now we have two...one in Berlin ( maybe ) and one on the Loire with toilets and I guess very little else.

I reckon if this thread keeps running for 12 months we could get up to 5 !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We have just come back from two weeks in the Netherlands and I recouped the cost of my ASCI card on the first two nights away. We stayed in some really good sites and never paid more than 15 euros. Last year when we were paying in Germany on a site the guy next to us with an ASCI card paid 20 euros less than we did for a two night stay. Learnt my lesson - Bought the ASCI Book. We are lucky to be able to go outside peak time.

Sonja

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just back from a long stint in France staying on a mixture of Aires and mainly ACSI sites. I reckon the ACSI card saved me at least 5 euros per night. Its the best single way of saving money for the many of us who are able to travel off peak.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Have to add a point to this thread.

When at Buchenwald i met a couple of ACSI inspectors from Holland staying on the same campsite. They recommended i try out the DVD........and thats a whole lot different to the book. I bought one off them as soon as i saw how good it was.....plus i got it at a far better price!! :thumb:

Lists something like 8,600 sites in most european countries (including east), really simple to use and navigate, and of course includes gps co-ords to each site. Works in several languages including english.

There is also a much more comprehensive book (not listed on the ACSI webshop page) which covers the whole of europe.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
My tuppence worth, used the ACSI in France in June saved the cost of the book on one nights stay, On A Les Castels site 15 euros with ACSI and 27 without on a fully serviced pitch.

Worth a mention also, if you register on the ACSI site you can download all gps co-ordinates for the sites as POI's :thumb:

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Bulletguy.

I am sure the DVD is great but unless things have changed recently:ROFLMAO: you do not get the
discount ............only with the card and the sites in the BOOK.

However , I am sure you will be able to find me a site for a ONE night stay, two people
plus elec for 14 euros or less ( or 15 euros even ! )

PLEASE

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Bulletguy.

I am sure the DVD is great but unless things have changed recently:ROFLMAO: you do not get the
discount ............only with the card and the sites in the BOOK.

However , I am sure you will be able to find me a site for a ONE night stay, two people
plus elec for 14 euros or less ( or 15 euros even ! )

PLEASE
Forget the discount.....most sites only accept it during out of season.

The DVD is far better than the book.

During this trip, site costs are varying between 8 - 12 euro....and with some that doesn't even include power or showers.

Owning a campsite can be an extremely good business!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
surely the whole point of it is that it is discount for out of season, or am I missing the point.
Or is someone on a wind up

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
acsi

Hi There,
Just back from first time MH visit to France- used aires for two and a half weeks except for two nights in the Loire Valley area- used an Acsi site and recouped the price of the book- well worth it unless you are travelling July/August.
Regards, Weejohn

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Surely the whole point of it is that it is discount for out of season, or am I missing the point?
The 'discount card' offered by ACSI is a bit misleading.

A site i stayed on the past few days in Austria, ACSI guide indicates the pitch price as € 14.80 / € 18.20. The actual price i paid was € 10.66 including electric. When i told the site owner i had an ACSI card she said it makes no difference as we actually charge less than what the ACSI 'discount' rates are.

The pitch price i paid is applicable to everyone.....irrespective of whether an ACSI card holder or not.

So basically the card and book is not really worth bothering with, but the DVD is certainly well worth buying.

For those who believe their card has saved them a few quid......ask others on the same site how much they were charged and my betting is exactly the same price!

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The ACSI book does not give guide prices, it just lists what the cost is that you pay. There are ACSI inspected sites you don't get the same discount with them, even tho they show the ACSI logo.

Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
Just purchased the ACSI 2009 campsite guidebook and have to say how disappointed i am.

If you are travelling in France, Germany or Spain......fine and ok. But thats about where it starts and stops. Any other country listed has absolutely paltry offerings. UK lists just three......THREE!! :whatthe: sites.

As for the discount card which comes with the book. Are they havin' a laugh or what? The only discounting is during off peak!!

There are far more sites listed on the website which is totally 100% free.

I won't bother buying another!

Would you like to sell the book and card to me? I'll pay post cost too.

penny

Free Member
Aug 18, 2009
chesterfield
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
france passion

Hi we have used france passion stopovers for three years now as well as asci sites; the france passion sites have been very variable and interesting. Only once have we been railroaded into making purchases that were a rip off but then on one site we were asked what bread we would like in the morning and were presented with a warm fruit loaf at 8.30 and the lady would not accept payment, so you takes your chance some are lovely and some just want your cash. We think it is nice if we can make a small purchase from the owner but usually a kilo of cherries or a bit of cheese for example does the job. Penny

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just got back from our first trip to Europe. We were out there 3 months and I did buy the book before I went. I used it once in the Loire and that was just to see what a campsite was like. Unless you have kids I dont see the point in staying on a campsite especially in France. Just find somwhere nice and stay there or use an Aire for free. The only thing I found useful was the map. As we had no real plan, I looked at the map and where there was a concentration of campsites we assumed it was probably a nice place to visit. Didnt always work but there you go!

ritaderek

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
Exp
Just purchased the ACSI 2009 campsite guidebook and have to say how disappointed i am.

If you are travelling in France, Germany or Spain......fine and ok. But thats about where it starts and stops. Any other country listed has absolutely paltry offerings. UK lists just three......THREE!! :whatthe: sites.

As for the discount card which comes with the book. Are they havin' a laugh or what? The only discounting is during off peak!!

There are far more sites listed on the website which is totally 100% free.

I won't bother buying another!
used acsi in belgium luxembourg netherlands austria croatia etc also the card is worth waiving and can secure discount in Greece All off peak as it says on the tin!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back