ACSI Camping.....disappointed

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Bulletguy, May 14, 2009.

1. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Just purchased the ACSI 2009 campsite guidebook and have to say how disappointed i am.

If you are travelling in France, Germany or Spain......fine and ok. But thats about where it starts and stops. Any other country listed has absolutely paltry offerings. UK lists just three......THREE!! :Eek!: sites.

As for the discount card which comes with the book. Are they havin' a laugh or what? The only discounting is during off peak!!

There are far more sites listed on the website which is totally 100% free.

I won't bother buying another!

2. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

I thought everyone knew all that, and the site doesn't give discount

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

But with ACSI and camping cheques the whole idea is its off peak. They do the main three countries and suppose cant offer campsites in other countries good occupancy rates.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  4. M&L

M&L Read Only Funster

You are of course entitled to your opinion but as we spend 4 - 5 months in France and Spain we find the ASCI card and book extremely useful as we also travel out of peak season.
    What is very good and worth every penny is the ASCI DVD which contains details of over 8600 sites including the ones that take the ASCI card itself.

5. billym

billym Read Only Funster

The ACSI card has been great for us travelling with two kids. It has saved us a fortune.
    Do you really expect discount high season ? ................
    Maybe your posting is a wind up ?

6. olley

olley Funster

Hi stayed at Quarteria in Portugal Feb 08, using the ACSI discount it was €14 per night, RV, two people inc. lecky, flipping good I thought. :BigGrin:

Olley

7. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

We used ACSI on our 8 week jaunt and easily got our money back and some,, But a lot of sites left a bit to be desired, ie scruffy and a lot with beat up old touring caravans, obviousley used and sited permanently..

8. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

Sorry mate - don't think you read what you were buying.

Its quite clear normally.

The ACSI BOOK and CARD are needed for discounts, these are available off peak as others say.

The website and DVD contail 8600+ sites - just "FYI" - not all are discount. (Only 1300?? are discounted and these are all in the book).

9. paulharrison

paulharrison Read Only Funster

Got to be a wind up the cards saved me loads a money:Rofl1:

10. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

Don't forget to look at the campsite reviews on this site - many, like Parc Verger, will not be in ACSI because we're too small. They are all sites that MHFunsters have experienced, and you'll find a good selection. Some, like us, will offer discounts, and I am sure that most will have special terms for long stays.:thumb::thumb:

Wherever you go enjoy the journeys.

Bob and Di

11. vicdicdoc

vicdicdoc Read Only Funster

We stayed at a campsite convenient for Paris - we had the ACSI card & was charged 14euro per night . . our friends who didn't believe in the ACSI card system & didn't have one paid the price - they were paying 24euro per night . . Ummm . . to me its a 'no brainer' but your entitled to you opinion - even if it costs you a lot more.

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

So was I - I bought one and we forgot to pack it.

In Millau we had to pay €18.50 but a great big sign on the gate ASCI €13, so if I'd packed it that one stay would have paid the cost.

Did pack it last year, one stop on Lake Garda more than recovered the cost - Camping Butterfly - excellent site.

What do you want for the price of a couple of gallons of diesel ?

It might not be perfect for everyone but for the price it's well worth having in the locker.

But no F^*&(**(&(*&_& use at all in a book case at home.

13. denisew123

denisew123 Read Only Funster

I bought a card last year and this year and it saved us a lot. You have to read the guide book and perhaps compare their listing with others to select a campsite. Last year we toured Portugal and I paid 10 or 12 euros a night. If I had booked the same sites with the caravan club I would have paid well over £25 per night. Well worth it for off peak travel I say!:thumb:

14. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

I bought one and we dont even stay on campsites! Its a tenner!!!!!

The idea for us as we are doing a long trip is that we may use a big site every couple of weeks to do laundry etc. Mind you we were supposed to set off a month ago and are not leaving till Tuesday 9th June now so will have about a month to use it but even if I use it two or three times its worth a tenner surely.

15. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Going slightly off subject , but is the guide any good for Northern Portugal and can anyone recommend a campsite near Porto ,out of season of course :thumb:

16. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

You can look and search for them online at Camp sites in Portugal - CampingCard ACSI

Seems to be about 10 in northern Portugal:Smile:

17. thepadster

thepadster Read Only Funster

where to get ACSI

Hi to all , where can i get this ACSI card and book from , plus i wanna get a book of the aires in france as we are going there the end of the month so where is the best place to order them from
    cheers
    padster:Smile:

18. stagman

stagman Deleted User

Click on home and scroll down and click on the site shop .The aires in France book is ok but you have to be carefull some of the gps points are either wrong , not there or not as described ,:thumb:

19. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Here.....ACSI Eurocampings - 8.600 by ACSI inspected camp sites in Europe!

Then go to webshop.

My main 'gripe' is the book is pretty poor. Plenty of listings in France and Spain but thats about yer lot i'm afraid. That it lists just THREE sites in the UK is nothing short of a joke.

The website is far more comprehensive listing a variety of sites throughout Europe, is totally free to access, and if the DVD has the same amount of listings.....then i would buy the DVD instead of the book.

The only 'plus' with the book is you get the card entitling you to reduced rates at certain sites, but the reductions only apply during off season. So for 90% of folk......pretty much useless!

20. keith

keith Funster

Never use one. After spending the last 5 winters touring Spain & Portugal we have found many sites that you can stay at for much less them €14. :BigGrin:
    Cabanas near Tavira, €8.83 a night for a months stay. :thumb:
    For Portugal sites try HERE (in English) plenty all over Portugal, many less than €14 in the off season.
    :Cool: