Acrylic glass double glazing de-bonding/coming unstuck (1 Viewer)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I have a 2005 Burstner with acrylic glass double glazed windows.

I noticed after a particularly heavy downpour today that water had built up within the unit (i.e. between the inner and outer window panes) in one window (the main habitation window). Nothing is leaking in to the MH itself, but a fair bit of one corner of the outer glazing pane has become unstuck/de-bonded from the rest of the window.... nothing is cracked and there are no holes, so I'm thinking that I can stick it back on.

If this is the best course of action, what's the best glue to use for these types of window repairs? Any other tips? Thanks.

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Everyone's obviously off on their holidays touring... if anyone's interested, my internet research reveals that this was a well established design issue with the Polyplastic double glazed windows used by most MH manufacturers at this time. Burstner chose to do a formal safety recall to fix the issue (though obviously they didn't get to ours). Other manufacturers appeared to leave it to the owners to argue the case direct with Polyplastic. Unfortunately Burstner's UK tech support person is on holiday as well, so I wait to see whether or not they still apply the recall...

Broken Link Removed

If you have a MH aged around 1998-2005 and Polyplastic double glazed windows, apparently the Burstner fix was to fit nylon bolts through both panes, one in each corner - the rationale being that this was a safety issue (the outer pane might fly off causing injury to others whilst driving along) and so simply using glue to reattach it wasn't considered enough security. The Polyplastic fix appeared to be to offer a complete set of replacement windows at cost, or with a small discount... which seems a bit naff if the problem was their design fault. At the time this was costing around £750 a van.

Interestingly, I see that Polyplastic - even today - have issues with various makes/types of windows in more recent MHs (not Burstner anymore). Check out their support site...

http://www.polyplasticpass.nl/UK/index/

where they list Knaus, SEA, LMC and Rapido currently.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@The Lobster I have used this a few years ago on acrylic but not Windows, it's very thin and just sucks into the gap by capillary action.

Sorry about the link size.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We bought our '05 Burstner in 2010, it had already had the window mod carried out on it (small plastic rivet in each corner) but they've still sent us two recall notices since.

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
@The Lobster I have used this a few years ago on acrylic but not Windows, it's very thin and just sucks into the gap by capillary action.

Brilliant - it's going in to a MH garage for something else and they're going to see what they can recommend for the window repair... failing which, this looks ideal - thanks.

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
We bought our '05 Burstner in 2010, it had already had the window mod carried out on it (small plastic rivet in each corner) but they've still sent us two recall notices since.

From other threads Burstner seem to have been very good at sending out the recall notice - so disappointing that the two previous owners did nothing about it :( - do you get any leaks into the gap between the window panels with just the rivets, or was it re-glued as well?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Not sure exactly when it was done, but up to now there's been no sign of leaks or condensation, pity the same can't be said of the fit of the hab door :(

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Not sure exactly when it was done, but up to now there's been no sign of leaks or condensation, pity the same can't be said of the fit of the hab door :(

Thanks - that's useful. The hab door on ours needs a fair pull to get it to shut properly, otherwise the seal isn't complete, but if we do that we get no problems with leaks there (or anywhere else for that matter).

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
@The Lobster, I tried adjusting the lock position on our door but when I took a good look at it, you can see that the actual sides of the van pull in about 10 mm near the door's middle, where the side fastens to the fridge housing. It's obviously happened when the van was being constructed and I can't imagine rectifying it would be anything but a major undertaking. I'm looking to get some deeper profile door seal to make up the gap, but most of the stuff online seems to be the type that clips onto an edge and not the kind that slots into a groove. :( May have to try bonding something in place ?

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
@The Lobster, It's obviously happened when the van was being constructed

Have you tried asking Burstner UK via their web contact page what they suggest? I've found their technical support person very helpful - even with our old van - and if you think this is an original construction fault they may be aware of it from others of that model/year.

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
For anyone coming late to this thread, the outcome (for us) was that we got the Burstner-recommended safety fix applied to all the PolyPlastic windows (essentially a small nylon bolt in each corner of the double glazed pane) and had the main habitation window (which had partly delaminated) re-glued. We're still waiting to hear if Burstner will provide any recall compensation - apparently it was recalled 4 years ago but the then owners ignored the notice. Burstner also confirmed that they'd (just) run out of the nylon screws, or they'd have sent us some... which is impressive for a 10 year old MH.

Given how simple the fix was - and how serious the implications of a delamination are (if you happen to be travelling at the time) - we'd recommend it to anyone with this vintage MH and PolyPlastic windows.

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
The rear lounge side window is delaminating on our Autocruise Accent, it started steaming up after the xmas storms that tried to rip the roof lights off and now has a couple of inches of water in it.:( Think I will buy some plastic binding screws and some type of acrylic bonding agent and attempt a repair.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back