Acquiring network address problems (1 Viewer)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi guys
My Aussie friends are having problems getting their new laptop to work------he will explain----------------

I can not connect my laptop to a wireless internet router.

I have a strong wireless signal, but the problem is the computer is continually saying 'Acquiring network address' and will not connect to the internet.

Possibly it is a problem with the router not recognising my laptop IP address. I think this might be happening because the IP address is shown as 000.000.000.000 on the status of the wireless connection.

Any help on how to resolve the 'Acquiring network address problem' much appreciated.
Doug

I know someone will understand what he is on about :Doh:
Thanks Nigel

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
This is a problem that was created in Vista and continues in Win7. There is a short route to a solution and a longer, more certain, route.
Short route first:
Go to Start and then in Search box type "CMD" (don't type the inverted commas) and look for the CMD program appearing in the results box. Double R-Click on the CMD.EXE programme. This will produce a black DOS-Box.
type in "ipconfig" and press the Enter key.
You will see a listing under the Wireless adapter. Look specifically at the line for IPv4. This needs to be an address starting with 192.168. - the last numbers will be something like 1.1 but with the bug in the operating system, the line may well be something completely different!
Now type in "ipconfig /release" and Enter.
Now type in "ipconfig /renew" and Enter.
Now type in "ipconfig" and Enter.
If the IPv4 has changed to something starting with 192.168. then the problem is solved.

If not, go to the Network & Sharing Centre
Go to Change Adapter Settings
Select the Wireless adapter
Choose Properties
Select the IPv4 line and select Properties again
Select the Radio Button to "Use the following IP address"

At this point it helps to know th address of the router. It is very likely to be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1
If it is the former, try an IP address of 192.168.1.20
a submask is always 255.255.255.0
and the default gateway will be the same as the router address - 192.168.1.1

You may try leaving the DNS address blank but if it refuses to allow that, enter the Router address here as well.

Press OK and try the connection again.
If it doesn't work, the router address is not what we guessed at. Try working on the basis that it is 192.168.2.1 and try again.
Beyond that, you need to know the address of the router for certain and that will be in the manual.
You may need to set the router back to the factory default to achieve a known address.

Hope this gets your antipodean friend going - they need some success in their lives and if it can't be the ashes then...

Patrick

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Patrick,

Many thanks for your detailed response. All this is well over my head, will pass on to my mate in the morning.

Once again, many thanks.

PS He reckons he's not into cricket, or perhaps he's not admitting to it, being in England and all.

All the best

Nigel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A bit off topic but...

With so many Aussies "not interested in cricket" it is a surprise they bother playing it at all... (not that they did much "playing" in their last Test series...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:)

JJ

PS. Is Gloating in bad taste? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Patrick
Our Aussie mate spent ages working with your info. -----eventually he cracked it------thanks for such great info.
He still insists he's not into cricket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nigel & Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back