About to take the plunge!..when & how much deposit?? (1 Viewer)

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
Afternoon all....
I've found my perfect motorhome.. I tried before I buyed... I've had a mechanic check it out.. it has 12+ warrantee.. & now I'm being asked for a deposit before the snagging list is done by dealer.. just small bits, but he is going to add a solar panel, extra battery & grab handles to get in/out easier..so I think a deposit before the work is done is a reasonable ask.. How much would you expect to pay on deposit? 10%?... Also the wash hand basin is damaged & will be replaced under warrantee.. but no clue as to when??..
I don't really want to go down the finance route for protection, but am feeling a bit vulnerable when someone else has my money.. should I put the deposit on credit card?... Will that help if something goes wrong?

Many thanks for your help, you lovely lot..

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Sounds like a good idea (CC for deposit) I think you may have to ask dealer how much for deposit but 10% seems fair to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Definitely put at least £100 on a credit card to gain protection. (y)

Deposit ? We paid 10% - on a c/card. (y)
We did similar by paying a £1000 deposit thinking it would then (the motorhome) be covered by the card protection.
We were wrong as there is a £30,000 upper limit.
There was no problems though.
I still think that a deposit paid on card would at least protect the deposit money if you did not receive the goods.

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We did similar by paying a £1000 deposit thinking it would then (the motorhome) be covered by the card protection.
I still think that a deposit paid on card would at least protect the deposit money if you did not receive the goods.

The deposit paid on a c/c will cover the deposit & the balance payable of up to £30k & in our case that covered the entire cost of £26k.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi @Cilla And Mom

Yep, sound advice from the other posters. I would be a bit worried though about the hand basin. You said, "No clue as to when" it will be replaced. It's a pretty necessary item, so that would be a priority to have done.

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

I believe that using 2 separate credit cards doubles the individual c/c limit of £30k :)

Section 75a of the consumer credit act also covers some items purchased up to the value of £60,260 if certain criteria are met.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
When i bought our first van ,new, i only put down £500. I told them i wasn't prepared for them going bust.

My latest van, new, i had many extras fitted, only 3 week ' till delivery i paid 2k.

You will know in your heart if you can trust them, but try and pay as little as possible.

I don't like the fact that they are saying the wb will get fixed under warranty. If they are not going to fix it before delivery then all s not well.............they may be putting the cost of repair onto someone else unfairly.........??? If that is the case they could be penny pinching..........what will they be like when you have a problem after delivery???

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For a deposit £1000, a max of £1500, if the total cost is less than £50k I would be looking at a lower deposit than that, I've only put a £1000 down on the Hymer we have on order.
UK Dealers will try it on and ask for 10%, I would never put anything like that down. A deposit has to be an amount you will be happy to right off if you have to pull out of the deal and the dealer is unhelpful.

You mentioned fitting grab handles, fine if you mean one inside the van by the door but I wouldn't recommend anything on the outside like the Fiamma ones that fold across they door they sell as a security device. A friend had his van broken into at City Europe they pulled the handle mountings right through the bodywork, cost over 3k to repair the van cost of items stolen £20.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tell him your happy to pay a 10% deposit, and will he except a hold back of 5% till the sink is fitted ;)(y) probably not!!!
but i'd want something in writing at least along with a token hold back till snagging is completed
That in my opinion is quite reasonable, and after a certain time he might have to forfeit his cash if he dose#t honour his agreement you can then pay someone else to fix it so make sure you hang on to enough £££
Remember this is strictly Business not a love affair, trust does not enter into any of it.
if he questions this action, ask him why HE wanted a deposit.

Geo

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!

Thank you , great info.x

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!

Yes, I've said I will not put down a deposit until WHB has a firm delivery date. Thanks for the advice.

Hi @Cilla And Mom

Yep, sound advice from the other posters. I would be a bit worried though about the hand basin. You said, "No clue as to when" it will be replaced. It's a pretty necessary item, so that would be a priority to have done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
For a deposit £1000, a max of £1500, if the total cost is less than £50k I would be looking at a lower deposit than that, I've only put a £1000 down on the Hymer we have on order.
UK Dealers will try it on and ask for 10%, I would never put anything like that down. A deposit has to be an amount you will be happy to right off if you have to pull out of the deal and the dealer is unhelpful.

You mentioned fitting grab handles, fine if you mean one inside the van by the door but I wouldn't recommend anything on the outside like the Fiamma ones that fold across they door they sell as a security device. A friend had his van broken into at City Europe they pulled the handle mountings right through the bodywork, cost over 3k to repair the van cost of items stolen £20.
Great info thanks. All the extra handles are on the inside , so my elderly mom can pull herself in & shut the slide door easier.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Cilla.

Congrats on the purchase. Hope it all works out well after the checks and fix's

Just curious which hire/sales place it is? Did you google there reputation?

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Personally I wouldn't take the van until the hand basin was installed, you have waited awhile so what's a little longer,:party2: congratulations. :party2:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
Cilla.

Congrats on the purchase. Hope it all works out well after the checks and fix's

Just curious which hire/sales place it is? Did you google there reputation?
Hi Many thanks for your advice. Wiltshire Motorhomes. I can't find anything bad about them on a Google search & a few people I've spoken to in other groups seem to rate them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cilla And Mom

Cilla And Mom

Free Member
Aug 19, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie - thinking!
Personally I wouldn't take the van until the hand basin was installed, you have waited awhile so what's a little longer,:party2: congratulations. :party2:
Great advice thank you. I won't be collecting & paying the balance until everything is perfect. x

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It depends on how much you trust your dealer. I think 10% deposit is not out of the way, I'd pay more if the work requested costs more. You could make conditions clear when paying the deposit so that you have reason to refuse final delivery. Maybe ask Trading Standards.
I made a stipulation that the vehicle's unladen weight must not exceed the declared weight plus 5% tolerance. Luckily it came in at 15kg below. I was not looking forward to the consequences if it had been heavier.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It would help if you said how much it is (and what it is you're buying!) but certainly no more than £1,000 in total as a deposit and paid on a credit card regardless of whether the van is more, or less, than £30,000.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Afternoon all....
I've found my perfect motorhome.. I tried before I buyed... I've had a mechanic check it out.. it has 12+ warrantee.. & now I'm being asked for a deposit before the snagging list is done by dealer.. just small bits, but he is going to add a solar panel, extra battery & grab handles to get in/out easier..so I think a deposit before the work is done is a reasonable ask.. How much would you expect to pay on deposit? 10%?... Also the wash hand basin is damaged & will be replaced under warrantee.. but no clue as to when??..
I don't really want to go down the finance route for protection, but am feeling a bit vulnerable when someone else has my money.. should I put the deposit on credit card?... Will that help if something goes wrong?

Many thanks for your help, you lovely lot..

RE wash hand basin
Is the van a current model is it a uk build as if an older model it may not be still available or long time if ever to get from foreign builder.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We paid a deposit of £1000 for a £47000 new MH order. Balance payable on collection.

A deposit of 10% looks rather high.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back