About to go full timing, any advice? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Wanders

Free Member
Feb 21, 2017
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Hello - I've just found this forum and was wondering if any of you lovely people had any advice for me. I'm about to buy my first motorhome and go full time in it - eek! I'll just be touring round the UK for a year - lets call it a gap year with a creative intention. I guess what worries me most is having to live in campsites all year... there are other options right, but what do you guys do. How do you make living full time work on the road? Any advice gratefully received. thanks

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good for you Kelly,,,, I've been at it for about 15 mths. It's great!!!

Work where you can, and I stay on sites, cause I like a bit of luxury!!

Good luck to you babe,, you will be fine,,, you will get all the help you need on here!

All the best, Ian. X

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am just entering my 8th year of a planned 2 year adventure. I still love it and can't imagine living in a house again.

I tend to stay on CL's very small/remote sites with a maximum of 5 units and few if any facilities. I also stop at pubs, friends places, garages, lay-bys industrial estates and streets. All depends on where I am and what I am doing.

I earn my living as a Linux Server consultant, Programmer and writer. I get about 50-60% of my work through Upwork.

It depends on your skill set, but there is usually something most people can do to earn while on the road.

Ask as many questions as you want, there are quite a lot of us fulltimers on here.

OP
OP
K

Kelly Wanders

Free Member
Feb 21, 2017
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Oh wow, thanks for such a welcome guys!!

Gromett, with you working from your motorhome, may I ask what you use to connect to the old interweb ;o) I'm a graphic designer and whilst I won't be working full time, a few days here and there will be most helpful!

And do you have to book quite far in advance to get on the CL's?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome.

The best advice I can offer is to pay the £15 subs for this forum and you will then be able to post more than 5 posts. As you can see there is plenty of good advice on here.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Oh wow, thanks for such a welcome guys!!

Gromett, with you working from your motorhome, may I ask what you use to connect to the old interweb ;o) I'm a graphic designer and whilst I won't be working full time, a few days here and there will be most helpful!

And do you have to book quite far in advance to get on the CL's?

I use a combination of things to connect to the net. I prefer Wifi and for that I have an iBoost directional (soon to be replaced). If no wifi is available I carry a variety of PAYG sims because some places you can get 3, others you can get EE etc etc. I then either use a dongle or MiFi depending on what the situation is. I also have an external 3G/4G antenna which can go on the top of my van.

CL's vary on booking requirements. Popular ones you may need to book a week in advance. Ones that are off the beaten track you can book in an hour before. Don't expect them all to answer the phone as the CL tends to be a secondary income for the vast majority. So be prepared to call a few within a circle of where you want to be.
I have never failed to get a CL yet though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We fultimed for three years - mainly Europe but a bit inthe UK. You have to belong to the Caravan Club (now callled the Caravan and Motorhome Club as of yesterday and the Camping and Caravan Club to get on their very small sites - called Certified Locations (CLs) and Certified Sites (CSs). You also get discounts on their main sites and 'free' books of campsites. You get your money back quickly.
Also, as has been said, join this forum because you can get loads of advice about everything and anything. We found it invaluable, especially at first and if anything was noot working properly or going wrong.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Camping and Caravanning club are brilliant!!!

Lovely sites, good cls great value for money babe!!

You can also get long term pitches for winter, summer at great rates, e.g. I am at Canterbury site this winter ( my second winter) and it cost me £910 for 5 months,, including electric,, lovely clean showers, well run,( as I'm sure they all are) Where can you stay five mins from canterbury town centre for that money??

But staying in my van and working all over there's always somewhere nice to stay!!

I get my internet from 3,, great package ( go binge) 40 gig for £14 if I remember rightly!!

Whatever you do it's the feeling of freedom from the real world that I love the most,, even when working I feel like I'm on holiday everyday!! Stress free life!! Xxxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back