About time i said hello! (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Having enjoyed, and contributed to the forum for a few months now, I've finally got round to saying HI,

I started loving motorvanning back in 1991 when my new wife and I borrowed a VW beetle bus for our three week honeymoon in California - and we were bitten! Teenagers and car requirements meant no motor van until they left home, but as the door closed behind the last one, it was into the classified ads and a Bedford CF based hi top was bought. It was fun, but leaked, unreliable and THIRSTY at 17 mpg and was appropriately named Brian - from the Magic Roundabout. We traded it in for a VW Holdsworth Villa and had many happy tours around Britain and Europe, but rust and horrendous repair bills saw a trade up to a Swift Sundance and 10 more years of memorable touring. Fiat reliability was dubious (rebuilt gearbox, new radiator, alternator, fan relay, rusted sump, rusted front cross member etc. etc. ) and the awful quality of the coachbuilt build and fittings did not detract from our love of the life, and it was a sad day when it had to go. A delaminated caravan door at £1200 to replace was a bill too far! We crossed to the dark side but the caravan was short lived; smashed to splinters by a careless driver and killing my wife in the process. 5 points and a £1200 fine..............! It was no good, despite this horror, I needed my motorvanning fixes and bought a Nu Venture Sand and had two year's fun in that, but the rear door severely hampered carrying a bike - and I did miss an on board shower when it was horrid outside! My trade in against my new Tribute T620 was what I had paid for the Sand on eBay two year's previously making it a no brainer! Two years down the line now, I have explored the UK and early on this year I had four weeks in Morocco with Blue Camel tours - highly recommended! I hate seeing it sitting on the drive during the pesky summer holidays when roads get crowded and everywhere is filled with "little people"......!
Next? Hopefully winter sun in Spain..... Now, did I tell you about 7 months in Western USA in a fifth wheeler?
Hope to meet some of you Funsters at a meet next year. Cheers!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
:welcomefunster:

How interesting and sad yet very possitive all in one.

Welcome to the Family Fun.

Mel & Lieve

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Welcome to the Fun Jon:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Jon and :welcomefunster:

Motor-Home Travel, on Tarmac or Gravel

A Week or Two in the Sun

If you have any trouble or Technical Muddle

Find the answer in Motor-Home Fun

Welcome to the bestest Motor Home forum on the interwebbythingy

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi and welcome to the fun site Jon, always good to hear about others jaunts in life, although sad at times, but good you have spoken up now, hope to see you around sometime, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Jon, Welcome to Motorhome Fun , good to have you join in, did you see the fun thread on the trip to morocco, well worth a read. :Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Jon

Welcome to Fun:thumb: If your ever down Sussex way, pop in and have a browse

Peter