About a week left in a rented house.

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by wigster, Jun 26, 2016.

1. wigster

wigster Funster

Its taken about a month to sort out and clear all of the accumulated junk that living in a house accrues.
    Some stuff that means allot to us is in or going to be in storage by the end of the week.
    I prefer to call it long terming at the moment because its going to be all new and who knows what happens . We have an old , was told by JJ ,thats not old 680 starline Hymer .
    Everything works so far on it we have been away a fair few times and we feel more at home in our van than we do in this house . That must sound daft to most folks .
    We have researched and think we know , well do know really whats best for us .
    Not running away from anything dont owe anyone .
    Its been in my head for ages to just go and travel even before we got our motorhome .
    The boss said when we got home last time , why dont we just live in the van we are both not happy in this house, result (y)
    We have got a few grand behind us and , if it all goes womens top thingys up a place we can stay to sort stuff out.
    Im not to bad with engines and fixing stuff , so its not too bad that way .

Just read my post so far and it sounds like im trying to justify our decision im not , it just shows how its ingrained in me just to do the normal thing . I annoy myself sometimes.

Anyways i thought id open my thoughts about whats happening to us at the end of the week .

Will be asking for advice i bet soon :) and when more experienced hopefully can advise as well.

If you've read this far well done (y)

Steve .

• Like Like x 20
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Were two weeks into full timing between our static van and our Moho. Downsizing was a bugger but that's all done now. At this moment sat at Dover waiting for the ferry and looking forwards and not back.
    Good luck. (y)

• Like Like x 10
  3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Sounds like a wonderful time ahead, freedom to travel where ever you choose in your own time seems exciting to me, keep us posted , good times ahead (y)

• Like Like x 4
  4. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Good luck with the next stage of your journey.

• Like Like x 2
  5. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Well done you on starting a new adventure in life. Looking forward to your updates .. trials and tribulations and upbest moments. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    Be warned!
    Some years ago my wife and I did just what you have in mind albeit in a much smaller vehicle - off into the unknown with very few specific plans.
    20 years later we returned to the UK having wandered far and wide, not all in the camper, and although it wasn't always blue skies and smiling faces, it was something we both still look back on with fond memories and wouldn't have missed it for the world.
    I hope you enjoy your adventure as much as we did.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Good luck with however your life turns out.
    We are moving out of our house in a few weeks to live in our van while we refurb a house in France.
    Then, we either live in the house, or sell it to buy a newer van and fund our travelling for a time while we look for another house to buy, in France ( or Spain, or Italy...who knows.)
    Selling seems a good idea at the moment.
    If we ever come back to the UK, we will rent, but that's not on the cards at all.

• Like Like x 3
  8. klaatu

klaatu Funster

Did you have any problems sorting out insurance for full timing?

Steve

9. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I unintentionally full timed for 9'months, went home and felt just as you said---/- more at home in the van than in my house.
    Spent 3 months selling stuff, clearing junk, chasing up estate agents and left for a year full timing. Didn't regret a day, even when it piured with rain.
    Enjoy everything you do, new adventures ahead.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Mickx

Mickx Funster

Good luck Wigster.....

• Like Like x 1
  11. Petest

Petest Funster

Good luck and enjoy yourself. If I'm honest, I wish we could do it as well but it'll be a few more years yet for us (get the kids sorted with the final years of college and uni)

• Like Like x 1
  12. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

Good luck & best wishes with your plans (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sparkly

Sparkly Funster Life Member

We sold up and set off 10 years ago. We have always lived in the van but have parked up and done seasonal work at times in the UK. We did find 'guilt' crept in, that we should be doing what everyone else was doing, have a job, set a good example for the children etc and it took a long while for that to go. So we came back every year, did some work, and convinced ourselves that we were still contributing to society. But as the years passed, yes years, we have let go and travel abroad more and more. We still return to visit family and see the grandchildren, to have the mot, stock up on bits and pieces and just have a rest and allow the anticipation build up for the next adventure.

We have no regrets about what we have done and no desire to own a house again. We do have plans written down for what would happen if the van was written off in an accident, what we would do if it needed a long term repair, what would happen if one of us fell really ill etc. Just the practicalities, where we could stay in an emergency, what resources we would use for short term accomodation, long term accomodation, storage of van contents etc.

Each of us have different circumstances and you have to go with what is right for you.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We are lucky that we have both retired very early and can afford to do as we like now. We are busy selling off stuff we aren't taking to France. We will come back every couple of months or so, my Father is rather elderly and getting frail now, so we need to keep visiting. In France we are only a couple of hours by plane away if we need to get back urgently, or a 7 leisurely hour drive ( we don't do anything other than leisurely!)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Where's your static caravan located? There are a few MH owners who live on the site that our static is on at Chapel Hill, Lincolnshire who go away for the 2 month closure period.

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Old Man

The Old Man Funster

An interesting read and one I may well face in the coming years. To be honest I've never truly like 'house' living. As a kid I would camp in a tent in the garden. When I owned my caravan that resided on the drive I would sleep out in the van.

Furniture, TVs, clothes, cooking and eating equipment could all go without a thought but I have a largish collection of original art paintings that I have bought/commissioned over the years, some I could move on from but there are ten to 15 pieces that I need to see. I'm working on how to hang some inside the MH.

The pictures are WIP but I also have about ten sculpture pieces that are a large part of my life. Some are too heavy to consider carrying in the van, others too large and fragile to survive travelling.

Grace, if only she could fly with me;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  17. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Sold up, moved out, don't feel guilty.
    5 years on and we are still enjoying it, we've done 3 seasons helping on a campsite and are now kicking our heels round France.
    Fabulous life as long as you can stand the pace, yawn!

• Like Like x 4
  18. wigster

wigster Funster

No because we have a genuine address that we can live at . I said long terming not full timing , wouldn't ever be as mad to do that on a public forum (y)[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Raybreck

Raybreck Funster

Hi Steve
    We where parked up beside you at Thetford, wish you the best for all your future travels and keep us all posted.
    Ray & Joy

• Like Like x 1