Abolished, tolls on the Via do Infante (A22) Portugal (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Nah..@Jaws is the one with the blocker hat.
Blocker hat? Is that like wearing a tin foil hat? I only ask because I am from Farnham. So now you are all thinking I am just a little bit mental, all I can say is google this phrase "farnham collander on head" I know this guy by the way :D

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Blocker hat? Is that like wearing a tin foil hat? I only ask because I am from Farnham. So now you are all thinking I am just a little bit mental, all I can say is google this phrase "farnham collander on head" I know this guy by the way :D

Its an old name for the ganger man. He always wore a bowler hat, known as a blocker. Jaws wears one at meets.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its an old name for the ganger man. He always wore a bowler hat, known as a blocker. Jaws wears one at meets.
... bit like Laurel and Hardy then ???? :X3:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
On the A22 yesterday, the machines are still working and the service station is still taking the toll, that is because, they are waiting for the legislation to be signed off and until that is done they cannot change anything. Most local (ish) people have given up paying now as they know it is as good as dead and finished.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone know what the current situation is on this thread. According to the latest information i can find on the internet, this is still a toll road.

Deleted User
Supposedly reduced tolls soon, but it is Portugal:)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just did a search and found this thread. Do we pay a toll fee or not I wonder and if so how long do we get to pay and how do we pay since we were on it a few days ago and never used a credit card.
Whats the likelyhood of being chased up?

Deleted User
Just did a search and found this thread. Do we pay a toll fee or not I wonder and if so how long do we get to pay and how do we pay since we were on it a few days ago and never used a credit card.

If you used the A22, or one of the other electronic toll roads in Portugal that are all clearly marked, and have not pre paid then you will be liable to be fined for non payment,the odds of that happening may be slim but it does happen and they do keep records.

If you entered Portugal from Spain from the A49 at Ayamonte there is a large sign pointing to a machine to register a credit card, these machines are also available at other border crossings that lead directly onto an electronic toll road, "A28 - Viana do Castelo; A24 - Chaves; A25 – Vilar Formoso; A22 – Vila Real de Santo António"

There is no method of paying after the event, this link has been posted on this forum countless times:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for the info but I wasnt quite understanding their web page to begin with thats why I thought I would look on fun for threads relating to the tolls. No we never entered from Spain and did see toll signs , 3 lots of, but the only booth we came to was when we left the A22 and went on a wrong road in error quickly came off and was charged 2 euros

Oh well will need to just wait and see if we get fined or not.

Deleted User
Thanks for the info but I wasnt quite understanding their web page to begin with thats why I thought I would look on fun for threads relating to the tolls. No we never entered from Spain and did see toll signs , 3 lots of, but the only booth we came to was when we left the A22 and went on a wrong road in error quickly came off and was charged 2 euros

Oh well will need to just wait and see if we get fined or not.

It is a very confusing situation regarding toll roads in Portugal, there are 2 different types, the electronic ones with no toll booths, which used to be free, and the old toll roads with booths and of course they intersect and you may drive from one to the other without realising.

I am fairly sure that you will not be fined by any follow up to your address in the UK but there is the slight possibility that you may be checked by either the GNR or the 'Via Verde' operators who can check you when stopped on one of the service areas, it has happened to us but the chances are that you won't.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
How bizarre. I've just had this very same conversation this morning with a friend over breakfast.

He has been using the road without paying for tolls for the last three years and was questioned by the GNR after stoping at a service station last week. They showed him their records that showed he owed €120 in unpaid tolls and told him he could pay up immediately or it would be referred to the judicial system where the fine could be 10x this amount. He paid up.

It's a huge source of confusion about what road you're on and whether you pay by card or not but the bottom line is that they do keep records and if you are stopped then you will have to pay. That said, I've met one person who had to pay up and I've known many more who have never paid and have never been questioned.

It's up to you.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years

Likelihood is zero.

The British DVLA personal driving licence/ownership address details database is not shared with any other country (unless DVLA gets a specific Interpol request for the info as part of a really serious crime investigation).
Portuguese can tell if the vehicle is taxed and MOT'd as that's publically available data online, but they can't find out who owns it and where they live in Britain to send any penalty notice...and even if you told them your home address, there is no legal mechanism for them to pursue you back in Britain.

We, and none of the Spanish motorhomers that I know ever bother with the tolls when in Portugal (other than the ones you have to pay at an actual toll both at the time in order to leave a stretch of motorway there), and I've never read a report by any of them on the Spanish forums of being chased up once out of Portugal.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
How bizarre. I've just had this very same conversation this morning with a friend over breakfast.

He has been using the road without paying for tolls for the last three years and was questioned by the GNR after stoping at a service station last week. They showed him their records that showed he owed €120 in unpaid tolls and told him he could pay up immediately or it would be referred to the judicial system where the fine could be 10x this amount. He paid up.

It's a huge source of confusion about what road you're on and whether you pay by card or not but the bottom line is that they do keep records and if you are stopped then you will have to pay. That said, I've met one person who had to pay up and I've known many more who have never paid and have never been questioned.

It's up to you.
That is very interesting Jackie. Thanks for that. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Likelihood is zero.

The British DVLA personal driving licence/ownership address details database is not shared with any other country (unless DVLA gets a specific Interpol request for the info as part of a really serious crime investigation).
Portuguese can tell if the vehicle is taxed and MOT'd as that's publically available data online, but they can't find out who owns it and where they live in Britain to send any penalty notice...and even if you told them your home address, there is no legal mechanism for them to pursue you back in Britain.

We, and none of the Spanish motorhomers that I know ever bother with the tolls when in Portugal (other than the ones you have to pay at an actual toll both at the time in order to leave a stretch of motorway there), and I've never read a report by any of them on the Spanish forums of being chased up once out of Portugal.
That is interesting too Nomad. Thank you also. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Deleted User

No chance of being chased up out of Portugal agreed but hopefully some will be caught in Portugal and made to pay the tolls that they have deliberately avoided paying(n)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No chance of being chased up out of Portugal agreed but hopefully some will be caught in Portugal and made to pay the tolls that they have deliberately avoided paying(n)
We were/are quite happy to pay but now that the opportunity has passed and we can't we will now take the forum advice and just make sure we don't stop at any service stations on the motorway as we leave. Next time we come will probably be in a different van anyway.

Deleted User
We were/are quite happy to pay but now that the opportunity has passed and we can't we will now take the forum advice and just make sure we don't stop at any service stations on the motorway as we leave. Next time we come will probably be in a different van anyway.

My comment about being caught was not aimed at you or anyone else that inadvertently falls foul of the complicated system but others that deliberately avoid paying in the knowledge that the odds on being caught are in their favour(y)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
You are supposed to pay the tolls, there is a website which gives all the different ways. At present the Portuguese do not have the facilities to pursue you in the UK for non payment, but the police and GNR can find out if there are tolls outstanding and there are reports that foreign motorists have after being pulled over for either a document check or some offence have been required to clear existing outstanding tolls and fines before getting their cars back. It is also worth remembering late payment attracts penalties and a 10 euro toll can become a 100 euro fine very quickly and it will keep growing till paid.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You are supposed to pay the tolls, there is a website which gives all the different ways. At present the Portuguese do not have the facilities to pursue you in the UK for non payment, but the police and GNR can find out if there are tolls outstanding and there are reports that foreign motorists have after being pulled over for either a document check or some offence have been required to clear existing outstanding tolls and fines before getting their cars back. It is also worth remembering late payment attracts penalties and a 10 euro toll can become a 100 euro fine very quickly and it will keep growing till paid.
Maybe so but nothing we can do now so no point in fretting . If there was a better system in place maybe their collection rate would be higher.

Last edited:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Maybe so but nothing we can do now so no point in fretting . If there was a better system in place maybe their collection rate would be higher.

The company who collect the tolls are not that worried their income is guaranteed. In reality it is not so much the lost income from foreign vehicles, but the lost income from Portuguese vehicles not using it. I used to live near it and after tolls were introduced usage fell dramatically and although more use it now it is still not as well used as it was before tolls.

The tolls have been a disaster costing the country money they cannot afford but the present government is commited to them for political reasons never mind the cost.

Deleted User
The company who collect the tolls are not that worried their income is guaranteed.

Yes they are guaranteed a certain income but from what I have learned from the local media the shortfall in tolls is made up by the government so as far as I see it, uncollected tolls cost the people of Portugal.

The tolls have been a disaster costing the country money they cannot afford

Can't argue with that!

the present government is commited to them for political reasons never mind the cost.

I think the present government is committed because of a contract that would cost a fortune to get out of.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We entered Portugal via Badajoz a few weeks ago and pulled off at the first exit to register. Zilch! We left the motorway shortly afterwards to head towards Portalegre. We went onto the Portuguese website to buy a card but had problems due to poor internet. We eventually pulled into a service station at Guarda where the helpful assistant there worked out our likely tolls and we purchased a €20 card which we activated by text message.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I think the present government is committed because of a contract that would cost a fortune to get out of.

I think you will find they have just signed a new 5 year contract. It was the last government who did not cancel the previous contract because of the cancelation clauses. The PM who signed the first contract is awaiting trial for corruption but was the leader of the present governing party.

Deleted User
I think you will find they have just signed a new 5 year contract. It was the last government who did not cancel the previous contract because of the cancelation clauses. The PM who signed the first contract is awaiting trial for corruption but was the leader of the present governing party.

Nothing would surprise me with the politicians in this country, after promising to cancel the electronic tolls!

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Nothing would surprise me with the politicians in this country, after promising to cancel the electronic tolls!

Ah that was the last government that brought the corruption charges against the PM of the government before them.If they had been re-elected they would have cancelled the tolls

Deleted User
Ah that was the last government that brought the corruption charges against the PM of the government before them.If they had been re-elected they would have cancelled the tolls

Too confusing for me then:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back