abandoned pets (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I heard recently on the radio that due to the massive departure of expats leaving spain and being unable to afford to repatriate their pets that the shelters are that full they are turning away animals here.
On my way to spain I gave a lift to a girl with a cat who contributed to the fuel, which I will be honest is a big reason why I did it.
I have been on local radio here 3 times, had a letter in the paper and posted numeroouse notices in shops and have not had one single enquiry ?
So whats going wrong , is there a problem or is it communication ?
I have emailed six shelters direct and only had one email back too.
It seems a shame that I have 35 foot of room available and all these people are having to leave thier pets behind ?
PS I have just been banned from an expat forum for posting this as it is classed as advertising ????

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Why what are you advertising?
Have i read it wrong ?
Has she left her cat in your Motorhome ? Or are you offering to bring cats back for people ?
Bev

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I cannot understand either sorry. Are you offering to board people's animals for them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Im sorry but i have to say that most of those that leave their pets behind do it more from choice rather than need, those that genuinely care for their dogs/cats have the injections and paperwork done and bring their pets back with them as have several couples i know.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
you say you have 35 ft of space, do you want to house all of them in your MH? to bring them to the UK?:roflmto:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
All sound very sad, funny old ex pat forum:RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its not new i have a friend thats been running a refuge for those kind of dogs for years . in france its the same as been for years .one week in a home then put down. dogs cats left all over the place. there is no need mines been able to come in and out since 1999. we left before the pets scheme started but had papers to get her back. i say its a shame we cant shoot the owners . its not just english people its others as well dont realise how strict uk is .but shoot them as well. spain does a cull every now and again.but on the dogs not the owners ,ha ha.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
it costs around ÂŁ500 to send a pet by courier from spain to the UK plus about another ÂŁ200 for its injections and passport. I am simply offering a far cheaper alternative to sending by courier, just for the journey, not a full time mobile shelter LOL !!
I heard from a family of four with 3 dogs who had to sell all they had to pay the ÂŁ2000 needed to repatriate them selves and the pooches, if theyde of heard of me earlier I could have saved them about ÂŁ1700. Some pets dont have such dedicated owners unfortunately, seems a shame I head back soon with all that room and 100s of pets are in shelters, many will be put to sleep.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
ÂŁ700 to ship a pet from Spain to the UK:Eeek:

No wonder the shelters are full :Doh:

I admire your cause but you could be opening up a huge can of worms for yourself, id leave well alone if I were you, what happens if you get stopped at customs with a motorhome full of animals??

What happens if customs take the animals off you, how are you going to explain that to the owners :Eeek:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I think the EU(ssr) are in the process of issuing one of their infamous directives on this subject - Citizens are to be permitted the free passage across national boundaries of up to three animals, more than this and I guess transportaion of livestock rules kick in.

Is this my last ever post? :cry:

Obelix67

Free Member
Aug 31, 2009
Switzerland
Funster No
Exp
I got an L reg VW in 1983
Thats a nice offer to do for people although I cant imagine ever being in the situation of abandoning my dogs though, after all they are cheaper than my wife, and better for me, as I have lost 25kgs in the 12 months since we got them from building up walks we are doing about 60km per week now.

I know some people are intimidated by the road trip and dont like the drive back to the UK though. It is interesting reading on forums like this about people who dont mind driving up to 800miles per day to get to where they want to be and from others who find driving 3hrs per day taxing.

During the volcano fun, I had to drive my mother in law back when her neighbour died and her flights were cancelled, I posted on a forum that I was going from Switzerland to Fishguard if anyone wanted a lift and managed to fill up our VW Sharan going both ways, all the people either I knew already or were friends of friends, it is funny when needs must who comes out of the woodwork. The joy of being unemployed at the moment no ties to the office. Fortunately no one thought I was advertising as a business and like you just offering to help people out.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if you shop around the vets here or uk .itcan cost as little as just over 120quid for the jabs blood test and the passport is free . cost 30 qid roughly on ferry santander to spain or tpo uk .if you are going to from spain . if the kennels are full and you leave dog in car no charge on ferry. its noty expensive. but takes 6 months before you can return. if you live in spain you should already have the jabs . if live uk get 2 jabs ,then blood test if ok off you go return 6months after blood test if dog as high enough titra reading. mines been across possibly 25 times in the last ten years.
dog needs check up 48-24 hours before boarding ferry home cost25 eyro this year in spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back