Aaaaaaaargh! Mattress rant!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ron & Gerri, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

So, the mattress in our Bailey has collapsed. Ok, ok, cue the ribald responses! Anyhoo....contacted Bailey to be told it was out of warranty as the company who make them (Belfield Furnishings) only give a 3 year warranty. But, I pointed out, the label says 'domestic quality' and I'd not be happy if the mattress in my bedroom collapsed after only 3 years, and that's with constant use, which the one in the motorhome doesn't get! So I'm sent away with 'contact your retailer'.
    We have been dealing with our retailers for nearly 12 years and are generally on good terms. Even though the mattress is out of warranty they offer to go halves on a replacement which I thought was generous. A replacement was ordered through Bailey then and there (6th June) and we were told it would arrive on the 22nd. Excellent, we said. Due to travel to France et al on 10th July, will be away 7 weeks, need to be able to sleep comfortably! Did it arrive? Well you will have guessed from the title of this thread that no, it didn't. The dealers contacted Bailey, who contacted Belfield, who said "Oooops, missed off the order. Will get on it." No delivery date available. Ah, we said, but we are due to go away soon! Fear not, we are told, you will have it.
    Getting uncomfortably close to departure and no mattress. I ring the dealers. They keep getting promised a call back, nothing. Bailey wouldn't talk to me, I'm not a dealer. I email the CEO...(thanks for the idea @ShiftZZ !) no reply. I email every damn person with any links whatsoever to Bailey....hurrah! A reply! We will get someone to ring you....I'm still waiting.
    Finally!!! I manage to get hold of Lisa in Bailey customer services. A lovely lady. She informs me that our dealers have ordered the WRONG mattress, it's for a newer model and won't fit ours. I DON'T CARE! I'm so desperate I'll make the bloody thing fit. But will it be here before we go? She'll check.....yes, it will be delivered to your dealers tonight, you should have it tomorrow (today).
    And so we wait.......will it arrive? Can we make it fit? Will I make it to teatime without having a nervous breakdown/killing someone?
    Watch this space......

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. rosierose

rosierose Funster

Ouch, I feel your pain :(

Is there not another model like yours at the dealer that they can take the mattress out of?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Hope it's resolved before you set off !

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Unfortunately not...our dealers aren't Bailey dealers, we got ours as it was a trade in. All joking aside I am desperate as Ron could barely walk after sleeping on our broken one, really affects his hips and back. Still waiting for the dealer to ring!!

5. houdini

houdini Funster

@Gerri19 Fingers and toes crossed it all works out OK, have a lovely time in France.

PS Stop hanging Taffy upside down! :smiley:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    friends/Preloved ? Lend/Buy Mattress toppers until you get the correct one ?. Cheap airbed,floatation thingy?
    Tea Bag

7. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Yep.... We have seen a mattress topper in Dunelm that we will get if the mattress doesn't materialise. But I'm liking the idea of an air bed, we might have one that will fit. Cheers!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I see Ron "could barely walk" after the mattress collapse..

:whistle:

• Funny Funny x 8
  9. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Can the dealer lend you one for the duration of your holiday from a van on site?

10. WillH

WillH Funster

If things are desperate go and buy a mattress.

11. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    It is a little known fact,not even in the "Bailey" adverts,that having a "DISCREET>>>" word with the salesman...ooops person, Bailey do a model where the wardrobe does not go fully up to the roof.....................mmmmmmmmmm.
    I have re-read the brochure on ALL Bailey models and nowhere does it say the ...Mattress ? will take/cushion the fall,of a ...Weight? of above 10 stones,falling?(I was pushed LOL) from off the top of this type of wardrobe.
    Tea Bag.
    PS. And at his age as well?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Where would I get one that fits at this late notice? And actually having paid for this one we cannot afford to simply go out and buy another.

13. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Unfortunately not as our dealer isn't a Bailey main agent and none of the small number of vans they have in stock has a suitable one. :(

14. WillH

WillH Funster

Local foam shop can cut foam to fit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Oh Gerri I hope you get it sorted before you go. Maybe a cheap foam mattress off ebay that you can cut to size as a temporary measure?
    (PS. my predictive text wanted to call you Herring:LOL:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Try jonic-uk.co.uk

• Like Like x 1
  17. G T and Dottie

G T and Dottie Funster

That poor bloody cat! Talk about rush of blood to the head:)

18. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

image.jpeg There, is that better?? :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Newsflash!!!!!
    The mattress has arrived......

......and it fits! Albeit a bit snug, but it will certainly suffice. The dealers are happy that we are happy, and I've had a call from the manager at Bailey Customer Services to check that it arrived and that it fits. Had a huge apology for all of the trouble that we have been put to and for the delay (caused by their supplier but unacceptable nonetheless) and has said that he will be putting 'something' in the post tonight by way of a goodwill gesture! He even rang back to double check that someone will be in tomorrow for the delivery!
    So, all well that ends well, and a big well done to Bailey for coming good in the end!

• Like Like x 20
  20. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Brilliant news now you don't have to sleep in the cab seats

• Like Like x 1