A684

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by stonflo, Jul 19, 2012.

1. stonflo

stonflo Funster

The A 684 from the M6 through to Leyburn is said by the CC site Lower Wensleydale as not suitable to be used by large M/H. But the AA shows it as ok as does the RAC routes even my sat nav set for M/H shows it as ok for a 23 foot M/H. Is it or is it not as I dont want to go the long way round.
    I may have ask this before.:Blush:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I've done it in an 8 wheel 32 tonne truck, loaded up with freshly treated fence posts for the railway station at Hawes. Didn't realise it was a restricted road until I got to Hawes :Blush:
    And before someone asks how old I am, I know the railway is closed, but a group of people are trying to re-open the line. :thumb:

In a few words, it is do-able but can get intereting in places. I've been on worse roads in the Lake District.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Sat nav databases (even those supposedly configured for large vehicles) simply don't have detailed enough information to be trusted. When you say "the AA shows it as ok as does the RAC routes" are those actual opinions from human beings or results from web sites (which share the inaccuracy of sat nav information)?

The CC recommendations will have been based on real life observations.

There is (or certainly was) a recommendation in the CC book not to use the most direct route to the Abbey Wood site in London. The first time we went there I got into conversation with the warden (himself a motorhome owner) and asked why. He told me it was because a particular short stretch of the road was narrow with sharp bends - OK for locals who use the road regularly but could cause a shock (and, consequently, possible collision) to strangers who were suddenly faced with a HGV approaching at speed.

The CC errs on the side of caution. Whether that is a valid stance is a personal decision :Smile:

4. sedge

sedge Funster

Well I expect the CC have to err on the side of caution bearing in mind the sizes of the biggest rigs that could be going to their site .... and the fact that some drivers can sometimes be complate numpties and wouldn't know what to do should they meet on of them thar tractorrrrs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stonflo

stonflo Funster

I should have put in that if you ask for route on CC site from Carnforth to Leyburn the suggested route is the A684 and thats the puzzle.
    Mike

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Looking at the disclaimer on the route planning page it does say that routes generated might be unsuitable. I suppose that's an acknowledgement of the limitations of mapping databases.

In the majority of cases routes will probably be fine - and, thus, the route planner will be a valuable tool - but the disclaimer is there for the minority which are not.

7. stonflo

stonflo Funster

I have now traveled the A684 using google map and it does not seem that bad even spotted a caravan traveling as well as several largish lorries. Thanks for your comments.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1