A684 (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
The A 684 from the M6 through to Leyburn is said by the CC site Lower Wensleydale as not suitable to be used by large M/H. But the AA shows it as ok as does the RAC routes even my sat nav set for M/H shows it as ok for a 23 foot M/H. Is it or is it not as I dont want to go the long way round.
I may have ask this before.:Blush:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I've done it in an 8 wheel 32 tonne truck, loaded up with freshly treated fence posts for the railway station at Hawes. Didn't realise it was a restricted road until I got to Hawes :Blush:
And before someone asks how old I am, I know the railway is closed, but a group of people are trying to re-open the line. :thumb:

In a few words, it is do-able but can get intereting in places. I've been on worse roads in the Lake District.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sat nav databases (even those supposedly configured for large vehicles) simply don't have detailed enough information to be trusted. When you say "the AA shows it as ok as does the RAC routes" are those actual opinions from human beings or results from web sites (which share the inaccuracy of sat nav information)?

The CC recommendations will have been based on real life observations.

There is (or certainly was) a recommendation in the CC book not to use the most direct route to the Abbey Wood site in London. The first time we went there I got into conversation with the warden (himself a motorhome owner) and asked why. He told me it was because a particular short stretch of the road was narrow with sharp bends - OK for locals who use the road regularly but could cause a shock (and, consequently, possible collision) to strangers who were suddenly faced with a HGV approaching at speed.

The CC errs on the side of caution. Whether that is a valid stance is a personal decision :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I expect the CC have to err on the side of caution bearing in mind the sizes of the biggest rigs that could be going to their site .... and the fact that some drivers can sometimes be complate numpties and wouldn't know what to do should they meet on of them thar tractorrrrs.

OP
OP
S
Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
I should have put in that if you ask for route on CC site from Carnforth to Leyburn the suggested route is the A684 and thats the puzzle.
Mike

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looking at the disclaimer on the route planning page it does say that routes generated might be unsuitable. I suppose that's an acknowledgement of the limitations of mapping databases.

In the majority of cases routes will probably be fine - and, thus, the route planner will be a valuable tool - but the disclaimer is there for the minority which are not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
I have now traveled the A684 using google map and it does not seem that bad even spotted a caravan traveling as well as several largish lorries. Thanks for your comments.
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back