A winter reminder - Dont forget everyone xxx

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ourcampersbeentrashed, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

No one told us we should drain all the water out of our motorhome when we first got it, so just a quick reminder

If you are putting your motorhome to bed or into hibernation for the winter, make sure you drain all the water tanks, empty the toilet, make sure the boiler is empty of water and switch on the shower and bathroom taps too if you have them

I wouldnt want any of you to get any nasty surprises next spring.

JIMS CHECK LIST which is very reasonably priced has lots of winter tips in it xxxx

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Gail,
    Simple answer is not to put your van to bed but use through the winter, can't wait for Skiing now, :BigGrin:

3. ronidog

ronidog Read Only Funster

I intend to carry on using my van throughout the winter as it is my only vehicle. Biut I alos intend to camp as well. How do I protect the external fresh and grey water tanks?

Ronidog

4. hannah29

hannah29 Deleted User

its also nearly time for winter covers on fridges i think.....i too am more than ready for the snow and skiing....i had my first snow alert on an e mail yesterday....am soooo excited
    :BigGrin:
    hannah

5. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Dont worry about the cold weather its not coming.....we havnt had summer yet :Rofl1: :Eeek::Wink:

6. andyframpton

andyframpton Read Only Funster

hi
    have a look at using Armaflex insulation you can by it in sheet form for your tanks and circular for the pipework its waterproof and it will securley fix to your tanks with contact adhesive buy it from refrigeration suppliers such as HRP or Dean and Wood

roll on the snow!!
    :thumb:

7. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

That was my question on an earlier post.I had the tanks surrounded by expanded polystyrene sheet on my last one.Approx 1" thick.Might go that way with this one too.

Was looking at spray foam but it's too unpredictable.

Steve.

8. American Dream

Cheers Andy,

Is this the stuff you mean?I'm concerned the glue might damage the tank.Have you used this please?

Armaflex Glue 1 litre ADH520/1.0
    [L417]

£18.58 Exc
    £21.83 Inc [​IMG][​IMG]
    Click to enlarge

Armaflex Adhesive 520 - Technical Product Data
    DescriptionArmaflex 520 adhesive is based on modified chloroprene rubber in a blend of flammable solvents. The material has low viscosity for ease of application and quick drying characteristics. In the dry state, Armaflex 520 Adhesive is not flammable. It is particularly suitable for joining Armaflex flexible elastomeric insulation and for bonding the material to clean prepared surfaces. When properly cured the adhesive bond maintains the very high resistance to water vapour of Armaflex. Armaflex Adhesive 520 adhesive is also suitable for joining Tubolit flexible polyethylene thermal insulation.

C0-T-99 Class 0 Armaflex Flat Sheet 32mm x 2m x 0.5m Armaflex Pipe Insulation By PipeLagging.com U.K.

C0-T-99 Class 0 Armaflex Flat Sheet 32mm x 2m x 0.5m
    [C0-T-99]

£27.48 Exc
    £32.29 Inc [​IMG][​IMG]
    Click to enlarge

C0-T-99 Class 0 Armaflex Flat Sheet 32mm x 2m x 0.5m
    CLASS O ARMAFLEX -
    The professional insulation that prevents condensation and energy losses
    Class O Armaflex is the flexible, closed cell, elastomeric, nitrile rubber insulation that offers reliable protection against condensation and effectively prevents energy loss.

A highly efficient method of insulating hot and cold water services, chilled water lines, heating systems, air conditioning duct work and refrigerated pipe work for frost protection, energy conservation and condensation control. Armaflex is dust free, fibre free and CFC free with an ODP of zero which means an environmentally friendly product.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I had a lucky escape with this last year. We had a severe cold snap and I had forgotten about draining the water. Luckily the boiler has a cunning thermostatic drain tap that opens automatically if it gets cold, and because the storage site had a slight slope side-to-side,it siphoned all the water out of the fresh water tank as well :Eek!:, no damage.
    I'll try not to rely on this again:Wink:

10. American Dream

A lucky escape indeed.

Tricky decisions to be made when using the motorhome all year round.

I always drain after every outing but never used it in the real cold weather before.

Kids want to go away for Christmas visiting this year.:Doh:

Steve.

11. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Two points

1. Don't forget to drain down the hot water tank - this is quite often forgotten.

2. Insulation - this can only slow down the heat loss, it cannot retain heat. So no matter how much insulation you have an unheated van will, in a long cool spell, eventually cool down to near atmospheric temperature.

12. andyframpton

andyframpton Read Only Funster

Hi Guys
    Yes this is the stuff, we use to insulate refrigerant pipework and Compressors i have never used it on my tanks as there are all internal, the father in law has a american RV and has used it but you should check out with Armaflex and the tank manufacture that both are compatible though, Good Luck
    Andy
    :thumb:

13. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

What about the heater ...

Hi Guys, what is the concensus of opinion about keeping the heating on low, to prevent the inside from freezing up or getting damp. Would a separate fan heater be an option, rather than running the system 24/7?

Thanks in advance,

Regards Richard

14. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi Richard
    24/7 heating would be very expensive to run
    an oil filled electric radiator is the most often used if your on hook up at your storage place/home

15. Scotties

Many thanks Geo. The other question is, what temps would an insulated underslung tank go to before you would be looking at a internal heater.

Regards Richard

16. American Dream

Are you talking about external Black, Grey or straight Forward Water tank Richard?

I guess the main problem is wind chill temps under the van.

Have even thought about a full "skirt" going round the van but will go down the insulation route I think.

You could always double up on the layers.

Just the pipework and slide valves to really protect then.

Is there an ecologically friendly "antifreeze" anyone knows about?Just a thought.:RollEyes:

17. Decmac

Decmac Read Only Funster

Well that's the way to do it! Keep the motorhome on the road as long as you can. Get the most out of it. Fair play to you - enjoy it and no worrying about if there is water in your boiler or elsewhere. I think I envy you!!
    Now, after all that, can you give me any advice about skiing. Thinking (really thinking) about going skiing somewhere maybe in France after Christmas. Never skiied before me or SWMBO but would like to try it. Appreciate any advice you have and can impart to me. All info very much appreciated.
    Regards - Decmac:thumb:

18. Scotties

Thanks American Dream, Its just a grey tank (insulated I'm told) but the temps in Bavaria in Feb are usually minus 16 or so.

I take your point about the valves, pipes etc. cheap antifreeze (salt? what temp does brine freeze at?) coud well be the answer,

Again Thanks all,

Regards Richard

19. denisew123

denisew123 Read Only Funster

For a first timer what are the most important or essential things to do to :shout:winterise your van especially if you want to use it for a weekend every few weeks?

20. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

The most important thing is to ensure the water is all drained down after each use and this includes things like the boiler, the sink taps, the shower room, the toilet and the waste water storage(s). This is to ensure if we do get a Freeze, pipes wont expand and burst giving you nasty surprises.

Also if you are worried about damp or condensation apparently if you put a small bowl of salt inside it will somehow soak up a lot of this. Dont know however whether this is true or a "wives tale".

We use our motorhome intermittently over winter and we werent told to empty everything. We therefore presumed as we were using it at least once a month we didnt need to do anything.

Have you got a copy of Jims Checklist, its quite helpful and theres lots of far more experienced members than me to help you

Good luck xxxxx