A week away

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by whiskers27, Aug 3, 2009.

1. whiskers27

whiskers27 Read Only Funster

Picking up my first motorhome on the 3rd of Sept, im booking a week off in the middle of Sept,

When i used to have my caravan every trip wasplanned and the site booked, this time im just going to choose a rough direction and see where i end up. Do you guys tend to plan trips or just take off?

quite like the idea of just setting off nad not having to stick to a schedule and i suppose thats the freedom a motor home gives you.

cheers all

:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

yep......unless we are doing to a pre-arranged funsters meet or a show we just go.
    any direction..it doesnt really matter.
    have been known to start off heading south and end up going north:Wink:
    thats the fun of motorhoming.
    you will nearly always find a site with a pitch somewhere and if not find a nice quite area and just park up for the night.
    dont make yourself too obvious and you shouldnt have any bother.

3. JayDee

JayDee Funster

A part of me sort of quite likes the idea of just "sailing off into the sunset":helptitanic:, but the rest of me likes an itinerary. And the missus more or less insists on one :active:. But, yes, a motorhome does give you the freedom to do just that, or in our case, up sticks and move on somewhere else if the mood so takes us.

Have fun.

John

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

We normally know in which direction we are starting off in but beyond that it's see where we finish up, or what attracts our attention on the way :BigGrin:.
    Stop if something takes our eye, maybe stay one night or more if something grabs.
    I remember on leaving Wales once tossing a coin we finished up going north,and Scotland but if the coin had landed the other way it would have been south and Devon.:Eek!:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

5. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

we normally just take of especially when in France or on the Continent somewhere some days only travelling about 20 miles or so. When in England we do the same generally but use the C.C.C out and about [ bible ] as you can just turn up on Rallies and T H S without booking, for example last month we headed for Wareham, then on to Brixham ,back to Exmouth and then on to Burton Bradstock, all at random and were away for 5 weeks in total, Great life.:thumb::thumb:

6. johng

johng Read Only Funster

I am taking my old thing away for the first time ever ! in 3 weeks.. I am so so scared about the driving and the chance of a breakdown :Eeek:

I have booked a site ahead of me..as I dont need that stress too, not for the first outing.. Cornwall but only just off the main roads..

anyone along the route that can help out if all goes wrong ? :)

M3 A303 A30 etc...
    John

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Every weekend we head in the general direction of 'away from the house'
    We sometimes have a destination in mind but almost never book anything..
    In a couple of weeks time we will be heading off for a long one ( oooeeerrrr )
    Apart from a couple of places I want to visit ( Bad Durkheim, Rovereto, Pisa, Monaco , Nice and Marseille ) it is all up in the air and not a single thing booked apart from the ferry !

8. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

We're heading off the first week in september, the tunnel's booked (free via tescos)
    and nothing-else-is.
    Who knows where we'll end-up, who-cares :thumb:

regards.....nige

9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Take it easy John your home is wherever you are:thumb:
    I take it you have breakdown cover of the right sort,so what can go wrong, worse case scenario is you will be recovered home
    just jump in the van give a big sigh and start your engine,your leaving stress behind Dont take it with you:thumb:
    Geo

10. johng

johng Read Only Funster

thansk Geo

tons to do afore I go.. carb in pieces as we speak...

to be honest I haven't even got around to sorting breakdown..

My aa wont cover the van for anything more than help on the spot.. I wonder if AA can be increased to include the van.. I doubt it..

the other annnoying thing is I live in my van fulltime..

if it doesnt get home I am completely homeless :)

and its 1984 vintage..

i know how to get [more] grey hairs for sure :Rofl1:

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

we get in the van and follow our nose, sometimes we have a reason to be someplace, usually we don't, our old beast is 1981, has had its share of problems but generally the Merc engine will always get us there. Budget insurance have breakdown cover via the AA and the beast is covered despite its size. for those of you setting off into the unknown, well that is what motorhoming is all about. The Shepton Mallet show is in September why not come along to that and meet a few of us, let me know and I'll add your names to the list.
    click on the link below

<http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/rallies-meets/14056-motorhome-us-rv-show-sept-11-13-2009-a.html>

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  12. johng

johng Read Only Funster

I may be down that way then Wildman.. in a car or on a bike though, but could pop in :)

Regarding my first ever trip:
    I have got the first recovery quote, a massive £149 ... but it covers my van.. not many will...

There is a 14 day cool off period too... so I could obtain cover just before i go .....

13. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

If you are do find the fun camping area and come to say Hi.