A wee import question regarding duties and transportation

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Charlie, May 2, 2016.

1. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I have the need for a light goods trailer. I have seen one here in the UK made by an Italian company called Neptun .

The cost of the trailer here in the UK is £1650. I can buy exactly the same trailer in Germany for 1019 quid (At Today's rate.

Am I right in thinking I will not have to pay VAT on it if I buy one from Germany ?

Can I as a VAT registered business claim any VAT or equivalent tax paid in Germany ?

Does anyone have any ideas how I might get one shipped to the UK at sensible rates ? Failing that a trip over may be on the cards.

My problem is I need a trailer within two or three weeks. So an unexpected holiday over to collect may not be possible but I could just take a ferry over and collect.

Thanks.

Link to the trailer
    https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...-Przyczepa-samochodowa/15938081/1&prev=search

2. olley

olley Funster

As I understand it, you pay Germany Vat or UK vat. You can't not pay Vat to one or the other.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  3. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Maybe you could ask if there are any funsters over there at the moment that could bring it back for you. Its always worth an ask.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I think your right. Pay the German VAT, but make sure you get the VAT invoice!! Anyway, who is to know?? You just put a number plate on it. No one will bat an eyelid.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Is the A frame out of the window now Charlie ;)(y)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think you may not have to pay VAT at all, this explains it, or as clearly as anything about VAT ever is. You would have to have a VAT receipt of course from the supplier and give them your VAT registration number. In Germany VAT is called Umsatzsteuer (USt) or Mehrwertsteuer (MwSt).
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-refunds-for-uk-businesses-buying-from-other-eu-countries

This is the bit which applies I think:

Goods you bring in from another EU country to use in your business will be ‘zero-rated’ (meaning no VAT is payable) if:

• your EU VAT number is shown on the supplier’s invoice (for UK VAT-registered businesses, this is your UK VAT number)
    • the supplier has evidence to show that the goods have been sent

7. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

@Charlie, the answer is yes yes and yes;:)

It's only on new/ nearly new vehicle vat has to be paid in the UK,

I used to import demountable campers Direct from Sweden.....far cheaper then Germany
    , I was vat registered would have been very expensive if I had to pay Swedish vat!. But any goods other then vehicles you pay vat in host country....

Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Legally you can just bring it into the UK we brought a new caravan in Germany some years ago just towed it home, by giving the supplier your vat number they should be able to supply vat free.
    For shipping ask the suppliers, German shipping rates are normally quite reasonable, last year had 4 e-bikes shipped from Germany in 4 boxes 25kg each, supplier charged a total of €60, shipped on Wed, arrived Friday morning.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Charlie

Charlie Funster

No mate not a chance. The trailer is a light goods which is 1350kg GVW so would be fine on weight but the bed is not big enough .

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Cheaper than Germany :eek:

11. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Yep bought direct from Swedish manafacture not German agents. I know the value of a pound and about putting some effort in to finding a bargain...long drive to Lapland though!lol

Eddie

Edit: only possible as I was vat registered and campers not classed as vehicles. Where vat has to be paid in host country

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  12. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

@DBK has it correct.

Given that both you & the seller are Vat registered in your respective countries & that the trailer is for your business use (i.e. you would be able to reclaim the Vat if you bought it in the UK), then you supply your UK Vat Registration No. to the supplier, they put both yours & their Vat numbers on the invoice & they will zero-rate it.

It then has to be properly documented on your next Vat Return. I can supply you with the boring details if required.

(Which reminds me - I should be doing mine, not browsing on here.)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Thanks... I don't do the VAT return. That gets done by the accountant. Do not and never have fully understood all the details or implications which is why I asked... (y)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Ok. In that case, just get the invoice right & the accountant will do the rest. Send the seller your Vat number & ask for the trailer to be zero rated. So long as they have sold to other EU countries before, they will be familiar with the procedure.

• Like Like x 2