Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
One question is where do you spend the year? If wholly in the UK then no argument, you need 365 cover; when we did this we had an address (a CL) where we lived most of the time and never had a problem. But if you spend a lot of time on the continent it's totally different. When we moved here we halved our insurance cost despite cover being for the whole of the EU. We also saved ferry costs by only visiting the UK once each year for the MOT. Now we are retiring (again) in France and looking at buying a motorhome. The French MOT (Control Technique) is every two years not annual; premiums are lower than in the UK; we pay less tax anyway - we save more than the winter fuel allowance that the government is stealing from us, so we'll put up with that, though we still think its theft.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

OP
OP
DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
none
One question is where do you spend the year? If wholly in the UK then no argument, you need 365 cover; when we did this we had an address (a CL) where we lived most of the time and never had a problem. But if you spend a lot of time on the continent it's totally different. When we moved here we halved our insurance cost despite cover being for the whole of the EU. We also saved ferry costs by only visiting the UK once each year for the MOT. Now we are retiring (again) in France and looking at buying a motorhome. The French MOT (Control Technique) is every two years not annual; premiums are lower than in the UK; we pay less tax anyway - we save more than the winter fuel allowance that the government is stealing from us, so we'll put up with that, though we still think its theft.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

I'm completely new to this but I would like to live 50/50 UK and EU but to get ins. in France I would need an address over there?

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Non disclosure to ins. Companies means no payout, so the persons you have an accident with ( if it is your fault) will have to sue you for the costs involved, it is a criminal offence not to be insured in the UK
In NZ whilst it is not an offence not to insure most people do. You have not disclosed what assets you have that will cover any charges against you, presumably you are not going on the road without the necessary asset value to make good any claim are you? As that is just dishonest.
I guess you are an upright citizen and are just trying to get insured as cheap as you can, am I correct?
Etap

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Non disclosure to ins. Companies means no payout, so the persons you have an accident with ( if it is your fault) will have to sue you for the costs involved, it is a criminal offence not to be insured in the UK

Etap
Sorry ,it does not work like that. Once you have signed up for insurance then you can never be 'uninsured' that always was/is UK law & is the same EU wide.
They will ALWAYS pay out to 3rd parties then sue you for the costs involved. They are legally liable to pay out to 3rd parties regardless of whatever old tat you have told them once they have accepted your money.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Once you have signed up for insurance by telling lies or withholding information its new to me that the insurance will cover you for anything. However if you are quoting the Law then I must agree with you.
Etap

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Sorry ,it does not work like that. Once you have signed up for insurance then you can never be 'uninsured' that always was/is UK law & is the same EU wide.
They will ALWAYS pay out to 3rd parties then sue you for the costs involved. They are legally liable to pay out to 3rd parties regardless of whatever old tat you have told them once they have accepted your money.

I must agree, once accepted they must cover for third parties, this happened with a relative who was prosecuted for drink drive in an accident, no payout for any injuries for her or her car which was a write off but the other vehicle and its passengers had to be payed out but the insurance company.

Chrissy+John

Free Member
Aug 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
1 YR
Its been great reading all the comments, i love this site, keep them coming

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
If the only big problem is recorded milage......then dont record it. Sat nav is good for speedo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back