A Way Around Ins. Rip Off?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by DomingoDeSantaClara, Apr 22, 2015.

1. DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

I've had my thinking cap on trying to work around this insurance rip off for full timers,so heres what I'm thinking,feel free to shoot me down in flames. If I get standard insurance ( getting quotes around £200 for me) and let it run for six months then cancel and reinsure with another company for the next six months and repeat. This way I should stay within my mileage allowance and not declare as a full timer,total cost for a year should be around £400. After all I'm only insuring for six months at a time so its not really a porky pie is it? Is it?
    What do you knowledgeable people think?

2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Comfort for example, their standard policy covers 365 days a year abroad but not full timing, one of their definitions of full timing is that you do not have a UK resident address, they have other restrictions but I'm not sure what they are.
    With increased border security if you had a claim might be easier for the insurance companies to check when you were last in the country. Also if you were to wright off your van worth 10's of thousands of pounds and they don't pay out for the sake of a few hundred quid- Are you feeling lucky?

Have a look at the full timers forum.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

As with most insurance companies, they may accept it and be pleased to take your money, the problems may start if ever you make a large claim, then the company will dig and dig until they can find a reason NOT to pay out.

• Like Like x 4
  4. DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

I believe that's standard practise with any of them,if there's a way out they'll find it. All I really want is ins. to keep the ANPRs off my back. My mh isn't worth a great deal anyway and I'd like to think I'm a decent driver,10 years no claims.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

I never had ins. before moving to the UK and never had a problem driving for 25 years in NZ ( ins. isnt compulsory)so to answer your question,yes I am feeling lucky lol.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

irrespective of policy term.. full timing is not about length of time , it's about using your van as your sole residence.. ie you have no fixed abode..

You would still be a Full timer..

non disclosure of this fact would void the policy ..

It would get you taxed, and satisfy a police check .. but in the event of a claim.. up $hit creek

• Like Like x 1
  7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

If you are happy with insurance that wont pay out, then just take the cheapest you can get and stick with it, they wont be paying either so why all the swapping and changing
    Failure to disclose any relevant details will void any and all insurance, so why worry, ANY road risk and 3rd party only policy will keep the ANPR's off your back
    G

8. chaser

chaser Funster

Havnt you got anywhere you could say you were living, children's house, mates, or where are you resident now in this country, have your mail and whatever sent there, then I don't see a problem, no need to say you are full timing

9. DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Yes I do have a permanent address,I just don't live there,but obviously I haven't told them that bit,tbh I can't see its any of their business where I spend my time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

[QUOTE="Geo, post: 1391369, member: why all the swapping and changing

G[/QUOTE]

Mainly because of the mileage restrictions,doing it this way will effectively cover mileage for a full year,if I ran over the allowance then any potential claim wouldn't stand a chance.

11. scotjimland

the insurer may have a different view .. it's called non-disclosure of a material fact that may affect the risk.. and therefore the premium you pay.

your choice.

12. DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

I shall keep my thinking cap on and ponder this a bit more before I decide if I...

A. Give them a load of my hard earned

B. Give them a lot less of my hard earned

Thanks for the advice everyone.

13. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Absolutely - non-disclosure actually means cancellation ab initio - ie from the date you effected the cover - in which case you haven't been insured since Day 1 - inception or renewal usually. I can't see that being a problem with motor insurance unless they have paid any claims in the interim - in which case not only do you not have any cover - oh and won't get your premium back by the way - but also now have to repay the claim money and their costs.

14. chaser

chaser Funster

If you've got an address and come home and stay for a week or two then off again don't see any reason to tell them anything but your address, no different than what lots of others do, going for a couple of months at a time

• Like Like x 2
  15. DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Yes its certainly a valid point and I'm sure it applies to quite a few full timers,as well as a load of other types of policies. You pay your money and take your chances I guess. There must be plenty on the road that have been economical with the truth to get a lower premium.

16. scotjimland

no doubt about that.. they are taking a chance..

• Like Like x 1
  17. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Why is it a "rip off"? Your more of a risk so they either don't want your business or expect you to pay more

Seems totally fair to me!

• Like Like x 4
  18. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

....ahem........you just did. The internet is a very public place.......

• Like Like x 3
  19. DomingoDeSantaClara

DomingoDeSantaClara

Can't say I've ever met anyone that felt premiums were fair,we must meet sometime so I can then say that I have.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Don't see that as a problem you can have unlimited mileage. With Comfort if you have a mileage limit and go over it, if you have a claim and you are over 500 miles over your limit your excess goes from £200 up to £500 and if over a 1000 miles over excess is a £1000. Comfort you can specify mileage limits up to 10k above that it's unlimited.