Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
as an avid fan of professional cycling having followed the sport since the 1950s, i make an effort every year to catch up with and follow one of the grand tours this year it was supposed to be the giro (tour of italy) spent a couple of days down at JANDG meet at twin lakes then made our way down carrcassone and avignon then south of france then the idea was follow the coast road to sanremo then head north and pick up the tour in the mountain stages northern italy unfortunately doreen took ill with severe stomach pains would not allow me to get a doctor or take her to a hospital so i made her as comfortable as possible bought every over counter medication which i thought might help, then set of on the long journey home anyway after 4 days she started to feel better by then we are mid france anyway we made our way home by then she was fine. so now to my enquiry having missed the giro i have now decided to go to the mountain stages of the tour de france three days in the pyrenees (high mountains) then move on to the alpes were i will spend 4 days in the high mountains will be departing approx 9th july will return approx 28th july. now to the unusual part of this post because of this years experience doreen has decided not to go so i am left with a spare seat which which i am prepared to offer to anyone who might fancy sharing this experience it would help if they were cycling fans the only cost involved would be there share of the food and the cost of their ferry crossing both ways (dover----- calias) any other contribution would be purely volunteraly. their would be no driving involved only in emergency.but been able to cook and be involved hands on would be a help. anyone interested just PM me or reply to this post with contact details. jt.

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
hi Jaytee. Sorry I cant come with you but i can give some advice on where to view if you can get there early enough.
We had intended to park up on Col du Glandon from Monday 20th as the tour is planned to climb the Glandon from the sout on Thursday and the North on Friday. However one of the tunnels on the saturday route from Modane to Alpe d'Huez is blocked so it is possible that there will now be a third crossing on the Saturday.
There is quite a bit of parking at the side of the lake near the top of the climb from Allemond and thats where we were going to try and park.
Sadly family illness means that it looks like we will have to cancel the trip.
Enjoy
Bill

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We are already going to the Pyrenees this year so look out for us. Our plan is stage 11 on the Col D'Aspin (tourmalet will be too busy by the time we arrive) and stage 12 on the climb to Port de Lers.

We dont have time to do the Alps with work. We are going then over to Mount Ventoux so hubby can cycle up as it is one of his dreams (think I will ming the MH at the bottom!).

Look out for us - we will have an Everton FC flag and Woolybacks Mountain Bike banner!

Jen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
thanks for reply both re BMStewart sorry to hear of illness in family hope it works out OK all the best,thanks for the advice.to geebee and jaybee retourmalet if you have cycles the police will allow cycles or small scooters up the mountain morning of the race although i have done the aspin thing was not impressed when the forestery people had police forbid parking at side of road and had us all herded on to forestery land and then issued a charge for parking first time it had ever happened nobody was impressed caused a few well chosen words mainly in french with a few english expletive delitives. that was about five years ago approx anyway enjoy your trip. jt (adventure before dementia)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Apart from cost, there is something special about being on your own in your MH. Total freedom. Don't sacrifice this lightly, savour it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back