A Terrible Dilemma For An Off-Site Rufty Tufty... (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
For years and years I have wandered around Europe in my van of the day staying off-site mostly and away from the masses.

Occasionally I have reasons to join other motorhomers, as I have this week, at places like Silves, a motorhome friendly town which allows vans to park on a large parking area in winter when it is not needed by tourists.

There are no rules or regulations or wardens or arrival/departure times here.

You arrive, find a space, park up and live.

If there is no room you go off and find somewhere else.

Now...

I always HATE seeing people "reserve" their place by putting out water bottles or tables and chairs while they go off for the day. I think it is totally against the spirit of "Off-Siting" and it drives me mad. It is NOT "their pitch" and they have no right to stop anyone else parking there if they are not present.

However... today I need to pop 300 metres down the road to empty my tanks and fill up with water.

It is very busy and in the 30 minutes I will be gone I am almost certain to lose my (great) position.

I am thinking of breaking my own rule and putting out my excutive bike chained to the World's Most Comfortable Chair to keep the spot.

If I do this dreadful deed will I be banned from going to heaven?

What should I do?

JJ :cool:

Right up until the bit about keeping your own spot I was in full agreement with you JJ (I know we don't always agree;))

However................. Can't have your cake and eat it I say.......................... live by the sword..... die by the sword:rolleyes:

I mean, really? how would anyone turning up know you had only gone for 30 minutes?

Gotta stay true to your beliefs man :confused::confused:

Me? I'd have walked the 300 metres and carried the water back (Oh yes I would:p)

All in the best possible taste;)

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Mr Movinon...

You are welcome to carry 60 odd litres of pooey black water 300 metres in some kind of container and then pour it down the "drive over" manhole should you so please but I prefer to use the wheels and engine of my van to get the stuff there.

:rofl:

Sorry I didn't realise. I only wildcamp and use aires, and I find that requires greater flexibility in practical matters than you appear to enjoy. Clearly your type of van, with an onboard black tank, presents a problem. I wouldn't choose such a setup myself for wildcamping. I find cassettes quite adequate. The most I've had to carry to a dump point being 30 litres. I can at least use any nearby dump point and I don't have to take the van and risk losing my spot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I see Mr Movinon, you and I are going to have to have an Off-Site, Rufty Tufty, Who is the most "Flexible" competition.

Considering that my set-up can give me a month+ without needing to empty my black tank, I am willing to bet at least €1 that I will win.

I can promise you that the onboard tank is no problem under normal circumstances.

Indeed, this morning's dilemma was the first time in decades (of full time van dwelling) where I preferred to keep "my" spot, as I am in the middle of the bathroom upgrading project and need to be close to the suppliers I am using.

I avoid "aires" as much as possible and I have developed my "Off-Site" lifestyle carefully to match my needs.

Today was a "blip" in the system brought about by unusual circumstances.

Black tanks ROOL for Rufty Tufties... Cassettes are for Girlies. :rofl:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hah! Hoist with your own petard "rufty tufty!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
JJ how about a picture of your spot and a update of your state of the art luxury Rufty Tufty kitchen.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
JJ how about a picture of your spot and a update of your state of the art luxury Rufty Tufty kitchen.

Both will be on their way shortly Carol... just designing and cutting the middle shelf...

Working very carefully and slowly... with frequent breaks!

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A pic of my Silves workshop (with saw bench)

20141116_111715.jpg

This well ventilated work space is not too far from the Hymer.

20141116_111727.jpg

It looks better from this angle...

20141108_164524.jpg

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Getting towards completion of bathroom sink extra strength suppost structure...

20141117_124943.jpg

Handcrafted Side Wall.

20141117_125016.jpg

Designer Central Shelf.

20141117_125115.jpg

And bodged up and reinforced, old plastic sink on top.

20141117_125209.jpg

Now got to join up the water pipes and waste pipe (tricky) after gluing and screwing it all together...

All done with a hand (tenon) saw, a hand drill, sand paper, "No Nails" and "Sikaflex" on a Portuguese carpark!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Its coming on JJ.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Are you sure you have enough room between that new wall and the closet for important business. It does look a tad tight old boy.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
But if it's not screwed and glued it'll fall apart when you brake and you'll break it...:):):)

Photos are not real life!

In real life, everything in my bathroom is done up tighter than a very tight thing on the eve of the tightest thing in the world competition... (y)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
But if it's not screwed and glued it'll fall apart when you brake and you'll break it...:):):)

Having traveled with JJ ;) I can tell you he does not brake or even travel at speed.:ROFLMAO:
:eek: In fact he is the only person I know that just drives off without putting anything away. :Eeek:
And when he gets to his Rufty Tufty place its all still on the table.:rofl: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back