LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Ever since I bought my van there has been an awful sweaty smell from the drivers seat.

I've tried upholstery cleaner and Fabreeze but can't shift it. Anybody got some good advice how to shift it please?

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Have you searched under the seat to ensure its not something that has gone mouldy like a pint of milk

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Your best bet would be MotorRoamin, he is good with that type of problem, mind you not seen him online for some time, unless he is on RVOC.

You could always ask Dave and Amanda manda3000gt Broken Link Removed

They do valeting etc and may have some ideas..

ShiftZZ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
smell

Ever since I bought my van there has been an awful sweaty smell from the drivers seat.

I've tried upholstery cleaner and Fabreeze but can't shift it. Anybody got some good advice how to shift it please?
welsh guards .....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Eeeeuuww.
As in sweaty x owners bottom:ROFLMAO:
Can you unscrew it soak it through to wash it and dry it whilst the weather is so nice. I'd be tempted:winky:
Either that or use a vax wet and dry Hoover on it, it pushes water and cleaning solution in it and sucks the brown gungy and sweaty water out :thumb:

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Eeeeuuww.
As in sweaty x owners bottom:ROFLMAO:
Can you unscrew it soak it through to wash it and dry it whilst the weather is so nice. I'd be tempted:winky:
Either that or use a vax wet and dry Hoover on it, it pushes water and cleaning solution in it and sucks the [HI]brown gungy[/HI] and sweaty water out :thumb:

You just had to write BROWN didn't you.........YuuuuuK.........:winky:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

You could try sitting in the passengers seat:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
depends what you call sweaty ?

could it be like rotton eggs ?

if so, have a look to see if theres a battery under the seat.....the battery may be releasing sulpher gas badly due to being buggered.

OP
OP
My Dog Likes Fishing

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Thanks for all your advice. I think the previous owner had a gas problem and the seats impregnated.

Thankfully I gave up smoking a while ago.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Would you perchance have a battery under the seat that is gassing

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sorry didn't read all posts

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I realise it's a real problem for you and I really hope you get it sorted.

Even so, I'm dying to see where this thread goes.:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've heard of whoopee cushions but this is getting tooooooooo 'realistic'!!! :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
many smells like sweaty ones are caused by bacteria living on any soaked in sweat/faecal matter. I would suggest a hand held steamer to kill of the smell. febreeze etc will only mask the odour and not solve the cause.

another option in extreme cases where somebody has had an accident an soiled the seat is to have the cover removed and professionally cleaned then refitted. most motorhome cab seats are just covered standard van seats and can be fairly easily removed for washing

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Years ago we kept someone's van for him whilst he was in the States......the van was stinking to high heavens:Blush: We had a look around it but couldn't see anything that might have caused it.

Could you try getting a seat cover that would cover it completely, after trying to steam clean it thoroughly? Sorry, just noticed that the Big1 has suggested similar.......didn't read all posts right through first.

You could also check the log book to see if the previous owner was BETTY SWALLOX::bigsmile:

Bill

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back