A Slightly Humerous Dog's Tale (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Ever since my Labrador was a pup, he's been the perfect traveller, loving being in the car, but especially enjoying getting aboard the motorhome, which he soon associated with new places and adventures.

I kept the van at the side of my last house and one afternoon had gone out to do some work in the van, before an imminent trip away. As usual, I was followed in to the van by my four legged shadow and as the van hadn't been started for a while, I fired the engine up and left it running while I worked.

The dog soon got bored and fell asleep and I didn't think anything of it until I'd finished working and switched the engine off, at which point the dog shot up, all excited and desperate to get out of the van, only to be confronted by the gable end of the house when I opened the door.

It was then it dawned on me, that with the engine running, he must have thought we were en route to somewhere nice and with the deflated look on his face, it was just as well dogs don't swear :rofl:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We started packing final things into the motorhome yesterday for a few days away.

Our dog sat at the step all day as if to say " you're not going without me"!

So your post rang a bell with us.(y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Very often we would leave our dog at home to look after Mum while we were away. On the days he was going with us, he would be nonchalant and at the last minute before leaving he'd jump in and calmly take up his travelling spot.

But those trips where we had decided to leave him behind he absolutely knew. No matter how much we tried to fool him, we could even pack his food, he would KNOW. He would sneak in and stowaway, even the day before he'd try that! He'd dive between legs to get in as soon as you opened the door. He was German but he must have understood every word we said :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
When we stop, ours is at the hab. door. Most upset to find we need fuel or filling up with water and he's not getting out.
What I do find incredible is their memory. We can visit somewhere a year later and he will head towards a particular gate where he knew there was a dog.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
One of mine loved the romahome, manged to sneak in somehow one night when I was going to work. spent all my break time in 10 minute stretches going out to see she was ok in carpark and to let her out still don't know how she got in.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Aren't dogs lovely?
Link Broken
Yes.....

We lost our much loved pair of Border Collies close together some 8 years ago. It tore us apart ! Logan was 17 Meg 15.....

Took us until a couple of months back to decide to get another this time Noodle our Cockapoo..., He's just a fluffy bundle of cheeky fun and I tell you what has he given my wife who is unwell a boost ! A tonic on four legs !!!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
We rescued our last dog (See avatar),first trip away in the c/van,loaded up the van and car(4x4 high up) and went looking for "Sassy" about 45 mins later,was passing the back of the car and who should be peering out,from the top of all the camping equipment(Junk!)...Sass. How she managed to get up and in,we could only guess,but she was not being left behind. Yes,they do know when you get near a stopping place,a year on...magic.We were over last year and stayed at our favourite site in the New Forest Setthorns.. across the track from one we were on about two years before,it took her a while,when coming back from super walks in the forest,to stop going back to that pitch. Enjoy your dogs,i have seen places a lot of people never see while touring,walking up lanes and tracks all over with the Four footed "Companion" leading the way.
Tea Bag

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Lovely story.
Our old Lab was never far away when we were packing to go away in the caravan.
As soon as the back of the Volvo estate was open she was up and in and wasn't going to leave, just in case we went without her.
She could also remember places we had been before and ofter knew when we were nearly there, even though she appeared to be asleep in the back.
Happy days!

Richard.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
My two love the MH.....they also determinedly help to pack it. It's the first door they run to when I let them out the front door......they love coming home too. In fact they just love life!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Sassy has gone over the bridge late last year....But... Daughter has bought a....Puppy. It is a "Mistake Puppy ?" A cross between a Standard Poodle and an Estrella that got it together while no one was looking....... Its got feet on it like Black Snow shoes. It seems to have taken a "Shine ?" (Shoes DOH:ROFLMAO:) to me,when i suggested they leave it here,(next door),and go and get the Coffee coloured one thats left i was told by the SIL. " NO!! HE stays with you,we have had enough of him allready,so the Coffee one stays in Lisbon.
They allready have two Alsatian/Poodle crosses about 8 years old,brother and sister Bertie and Belle,but this one.... Don't laugh... Dexter..(Poor little sod!:ROFLMAO:) has fitted in straight away,will send pics if and when i master the black art .
I do miss swinging along with a happy dog,but in three weeks,i get to be...Dexters walking buddy...RESULT..... Here boy....Walkies(y)(y)(y)
Tea Bag

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We lost our much loved pair of Border Collies close together some 8 years ago. It tore us apart ! Logan was 17 Meg 15.....

Took us until a couple of months back to decide to get another
We also had 2 collies, similar ages to yours. The older one died then within a few weeks the younger one also died, I'm convinced of a broken heart.
Although I won't have another (can't bear it when they die) I "borrow" other peoples dogs. These were last weeks' three:

dogs.JPG

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We also had 2 collies, similar ages to yours. The older one died then within a few weeks the younger one also died, I'm convinced of a broken heart.
Although I won't have another (can't bear it when they die) I "borrow" other peoples dogs. These were last weeks' three:

View attachment 146937

That's what happened with our Collies ... Logan dropped at the bottom of our stairs and died in my arms.... Meg just pined and pined and died within weeks .. Devastated doesent even come close...Logan went everywhere with me. To work even to the gym where he used to sit by the door and soak up much fuss ...

A dog becomes part of the family and the emotional ties come quickly . Some may not understand but I've always maintained if you don't feel this way maybe a dog is not a good idea ...

This wee beast has won our hearts and in honesty I suppose we spoil him rotten but he's coming along with the training really well and I believe a dog gives back.

What a soppy old bugger I'm becoming

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We started packing final things into the motorhome yesterday for a few days away.

Our dog sat at the step all day as if to say " you're not going without me"!

So your post rang a bell with us.(y)

I use my finger. :D

John.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
We love our boy Stanley so much, he is a chocolate labradoodle. He gets soooo excited when we are packing the van for our trip, he wont even go up on the field for his morning run as he is afraid we will jump in the van and drive off without him, he sticks to us like glue on those days. How do they know ???? and every time we stop at the lights etc. he jumps up and looks at me as if to say "are we there yet " ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Wargenwolf ... I thought you were gonna tell us the dog had gone off with the MH for a trip on his own!!! :D2

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My Needipuss, hates the van If I start it up, she is out of the door like a rocket, but happy to be in it when we are fiddling around.. She had a bad experience when we took her ONCE. Too old we would be alright if she was a kitten when we started, but old cats cannot be taught new tricks.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My Needipuss, hates the van If I start it up, she is out of the door like a rocket, but happy to be in it when we are fiddling around.. She had a bad experience when we took her ONCE. Too old we would be alright if she was a kitten when we started, but old cats cannot be taught new tricks.

What sort of dog is a kitten ? :D2:D2

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I had a lady stop me in the road and started chatting about dogs.. she was attracted to our wee dog

What's he called she asked.

Noodle says I ....

Ohh that's nice..

What's yours called says I

Wait for it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wait for it

Ready ?

Neville Nougat Cake !!!!

Wish I hadn't asked !! :D2:D2

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had a dog who I named Pootle ... a character from 'The Flumps' kiddies tv show as she looked like a ball of fluff which is what the characters were ... when we took her to the vet for her first lot of jabs he asked her name ... Pootle ... to which he started giggling and said "its gonna be fun shouting 'here Poo' on the fields to get her to come back"!!! :D

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
We just have to go to the hall cabinet for Bear to get excited as thats where hi harness lives if we pick it up he sits and lifts his left paw so we can fit it. Then will drag you to the side door of the van.

Reactions: CWH

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
We just have to go to the hall cabinet for Bear to get excited as thats where hi harness lives if we pick it up he sits and lifts his left paw so we can fit it. Then will drag you to the side door of the van.

Fuzzy wuzzy was a Bear

Fuzzy wuzzy had no hair

Fuzzy wuzzy wasn't fuzzy was he ....

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back