A salutary experience for Motorhomers... (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi JJ,

I respect your opinion.

In this case it is not correct.

Isn't the option always with the reader to ignore someone like me if thy feel as you do?

Anyway, I am off to Slovenia. Enjoy your day.

Frank

Good luck with the 10 minute check-ins there then Frank!:Doh:

Try flashing your Blockbuster Card - it might help....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just wondering...

Is it ok to start a thread/post on Fun... give a "teaser"... but then redirect the reader to a different site to finish the post?

Seems like an attempt to get more traffic to that other site/blog to me.

Couldn't the post have been copy pasted here with an address of the blog address at the bottom?

JJ. :Cool:

Fully agree JJ, seems like a bit of a poacher for the blog :Eeek:

Why not cut and paste the details into OUR site here, the good old MotorhomeFun site where we all share our experiences with each other :thumb: :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
This thread has had over 1100!views:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Why not cut and paste the details into OUR site here, the good old MotorhomeFun site where we all share our experiences with each other :thumb: :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Originally Posted by JJ Link Removed
Just wondering...

Is it ok to start a thread/post on Fun... give a "teaser"... but then redirect the reader to a different site to finish the post?

Seems like an attempt to get more traffic to that other site/blog to me.

Couldn't the post have been copy pasted here with an address of the blog address at the bottom?

JJ. :Cool:

[HI]
It's only me I'm sure but would a Journalist and Lawyer take advantage[/HI]
I Think Not

:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
F

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Response

A few months ago a prominent member of this forum introduced me to this website. He described it accurately as being fun and informative. He also told me it had a few "wind up merchants". He was right on all counts.

Since then I have embraced the spirit of the forums trying to contribute along the way.

Tonight I have arrived in Slovenia after a longish drive and have just logged in to see the responses to my most recent posts. What I see is misconceived and insulting.

For a start my blog is private, not published anywhere and is there for a purpose you couldn't even guess at. I could not care if it gets 10 hits or 10,000. I do not get paid and the blog is shared with a very few people. The MHF forum is the only place I have told anyone who isn't known to me about its existence. My motive was to be helpful by passing on information and if anyone took the trouble to read what I have written then you would know what I mean. A number of MHF members have written to me and even been complimentary.

Today in response to my reporting of a series of events which I believed might be of interest to members I have been referred to as a manipulator and my integrity has been called into question along with my motives. All that by people who do not know me and openly admit they did not even read what I wrote. Add to that the number of people who sign off their posts with a link to their own websites. A mite hypocritical.

I am happy for a thread to be a debating forum because that is what it is supposed to be. To have it descend to the type of comments is a poor reflection on the authors.

Of course we all give threads a catchy heading because we are interested for people to read our thoughts. I have already made the point, my blog is private and its is professional for a specific reason. It contains pictures which compliment and supplement the story so "cutting and pasting" detracts as the pictures get omitted. Why bother to reproduce something that is already in existence in a more professional format? And, by the way, anyone who has read the blog will also know that on quite a number of occasions I have sung the praises of the MHF.

Camp Butterfly was interesting to me as it was recommended by two members of the MHF. Again if you take the trouble to read the blog you will see that I have, on a number of times, commented on the problems of taste and recommending sites that appeal to your own likes. That is one of the reasons I have developed my own methods of research (mentioned several times in the blog).

Enough. I will not bother posting anything else. For those who liked my efforts you will still find my blog in the same place. For those of you who mentioned the owners of the blog please be more respectful to them by not insulting their members who were only trying to help.

F

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I may be naive but when reading frankhanna's posts I did get the feeling it was just as a side to be useful to us funsters,, and I believe the explanation posted, it was a shame that it was condemned so out of hand especially when the blog had not been read some who objected to it.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you don't care how many hits your blog gets I don't understand why you stop your OP before the end and direct Funsters to the blog rather than finish the story on this forum?

I am totally confused by your claim that your blog is private and not published anywhere... is it not on the internet for all to see?

I simply don't get it...

Still, I never was the sharpest knife in the drawer... :Sad:

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
F

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Response.

There are, literally, millions of websites in the world which are private because they are not publicized. So only people who know about them know where to go.

In the case of my blog it is only seen by those who know about it. I do not publicize it except to those who I want to know about it. There is a very good reason for that.

On the prompting of one of the forums members who I met earlier on this trip I decided to share with members of this forum.

The blog is in a different format, ie, pictures plus relevant text as previously explained.

By the way, I notice that just about everyone on here shares information passing on websites, price lists, tips and just about everything that requires members to find out more. Why not complain about them?

When this thread is ended I am withdrawing from this site as stated earlier.

I have not come across such pointless hostility before.

F

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I haven't read your blog frank but it doesn't cause me any distress to see you posting links to it. If it's not against forum rules then fill your boots.
But your blog is not private. It's easily findable on a Google search and unprotected.
Surely people are entitled to have a view as long as it's respectful. You have supporters in the thread too.
As a journalist surely you know that posting anything on a public forum can attract comments that you may not like or be able to control.
I think you're taking it a little hard to be honest as this forum seems to be the natural place to find a Mh Explorer such as yourself and your associated knowledge. Be a shame if you were not available to contribute.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
A few months ago a prominent member of this forum introduced me to this website. He described it accurately as being fun and informative. He also told me it had a few "wind up merchants". He was right on all counts.

Since then I have embraced the spirit of the forums trying to contribute along the way.

Tonight I have arrived in Slovenia after a longish drive and have just logged in to see the responses to my most recent posts. What I see is misconceived and insulting.

For a start my blog is private, not published anywhere and is there for a purpose you couldn't even guess at. I could not care if it gets 10 hits or 10,000. I do not get paid and the blog is shared with a very few people. The MHF forum is the only place I have told anyone who isn't known to me about its existence. My motive was to be helpful by passing on information and if anyone took the trouble to read what I have written then you would know what I mean. A number of MHF members have written to me and even been complimentary.

Today in response to my reporting of a series of events which I believed might be of interest to members I have been referred to as a manipulator and my integrity has been called into question along with my motives. All that by people who do not know me and openly admit they did not even read what I wrote. Add to that the number of people who sign off their posts with a link to their own websites. A mite hypocritical.

I am happy for a thread to be a debating forum because that is what it is supposed to be. To have it descend to the type of comments is a poor reflection on the authors.

Of course we all give threads a catchy heading because we are interested for people to read our thoughts. I have already made the point, my blog is private and its is professional for a specific reason. It contains pictures which compliment and supplement the story so "cutting and pasting" detracts as the pictures get omitted. Why bother to reproduce something that is already in existence in a more professional format? And, by the way, anyone who has read the blog will also know that on quite a number of occasions I have sung the praises of the MHF.

Camp Butterfly was interesting to me as it was recommended by two members of the MHF. Again if you take the trouble to read the blog you will see that I have, on a number of times, commented on the problems of taste and recommending sites that appeal to your own likes. That is one of the reasons I have developed my own methods of research (mentioned several times in the blog).

Enough. I will not bother posting anything else. For those who liked my efforts you will still find my blog in the same place. For those of you who mentioned the owners of the blog please be more respectful to them by not insulting their members who were only trying to help.

F

I'm sorry to say that you have learnt, as some others of us have, that unless you are of the "inner circle" then you have no business here.
There have been many remarks lately about how this site is going due to the comments made by the same people....

Take Care Frank have a great tour and like me, when your subscription has run out leave them to it.

Jim set up something that worked but only until this "inner circle" became formed and took over the commenting on all things related to life and motorhoming. Racism, sexism and agism now abound....

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Camp Butterfly
thanks for your comments on this site i for 1 will now not be visiting this site
some have said that italian customer service is crap well i have stayed a few time around the southern tip of lake garda and have never found this to be the case or maybe i have picked the right sites :roflmto:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
I'm sorry to say that you have learnt, as some others of us have, that unless you are of the "inner circle" then you have no business here.
There have been many remarks lately about how this site is going due to the comments made by the same people....

Take Care Frank have a great tour and like me, when your subscription has run out leave them to it.

Jim set up something that worked but only until this "inner circle" became formed and took over the commenting on all things related to life and motorhoming. Racism, sexism and agism now abound....
and who are these inner members mate as far as i can see this site is about freedom of speech within the rules of course i have never found a inner circle or a outta 1 :roflmto:
or maybe im missing something

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
I may be naive but when reading frankhanna's posts I did get the feeling it was just as a side to be useful to us funsters,, and I believe the explanation posted, it was a shame that it was condemned so out of hand especially when the blog had not been read some who objected to it.

i agree if you haven't read the bloody blog don't comment not long ago someone moaned regarding bandwidth on long drawn out posts so whats it to be bandwidth or links make ya bloody minds up im sure we dont need internet police on here thanks :Smile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I wish Jim would step in about now, instead of the self appointed moderators that we seem to be accumulating on here.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Enjoyed reading the blog ( not read all yet but that which I have read has been a good read )..

Picky time then... ::bigsmile:

My only anti comment would be the use of the word salutary .. meaning a lesson..

Yes, it was a lesson but a lesson but in what ?

Not to believe what other say ? Not to take things at face value ? Not to take on reception staff ( :winky: ) ?

Perhaps a simple 'negative report' or similar title may have been more apt ? ( but as said, I am just being picky for the sake of it ::bigsmile: )

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I wish Jim would step in about now, instead of the self appointed moderators that we seem to be accumulating on here.

Frank is trying to promote his blog that is his main intention. Nothing wrong with that, from what I can see its informative and non commercial, I've done it myself, (in the security industry)

Frank could have been a little more subtle in his approach. His posts tease with a bit of information and then post a link away from the forum. It's not the end of the world but it is bad netiquette and adds nothing to motorhomefun. To come across less self promotional, which is what some members posted about, it is much better that you write a full and informative post and then a "more" link or a link in a sig will naturally build traffic and without anyone feeling that the intention is just to drive traffic away.

If his posts had been reported it i would have dropped him a line saying something like the above paragraph and i'm sure Frank would have responded positively. Hopefully he stays around long enough to read it.

As for the self moderation, I encourage it, I cannot read every post, but very often its best just to hit the report button, rather than post in the thread, which just bumps the offending thread and more people see it. :Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years

Thanks for your post Frank.
Your blog was read and I found some of it constructive , some not
I disagree that there is however an "Inner Circle" :

Some are just more vociferous than others on any subject:winky:
(I'm one)
but I hope with a sense of humour.

Hopefully we all rub along together and to see *82* vans at Peterborough
was a great proof that anybody is welcome and certainly while
we all speak to those we know it was a great opportunity to meet others and get along.
And a cast of Thousands for Bacon Sandwiches was proof enough of that.

Sometimes we can get carried away with "Isms" Sex Race whatever
life is how you see it? N'est pas.:thumb:

Serious motor-home queries are for the most part answered in a serious fashion & if there is some levity so what.:thumb:

For me advertise your blog as you wish its doing no harm but taking other comments into account why not just in your signature block.??:thumb:

It would be a sad day to see anyone leave for whatever reason
so stay and enjoy:thumb:

Roger::bigsmile:

Last edited:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I've got to say.................I thought it was going to be something like you were attacked by bandits with rabid dogs.......or kept prisoners by lesbian nun zombies, crashed, robbed or even gassed !
A long wait and a problem with Wi-Fi isn't quite hell for me :) Its almost normal.

barry :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There are, literally, millions of websites in the world which are private because they are not publicized. So only people who know about them know where to go.
F

You are the Lawyer Frank, surely if they are not password protected and open to anyone who comes across them then they are not private. You have offered them to 20,000 people here.

Any comments I have made are to back up Camping Butterfly ( you very subtly make it sound like a prison ) because I believe it is a good site to stay on and your comments came across as a "difficult" customer to me. Your blog is beautifully presented. I don't read many blogs, there are too many of them, I want my experiences not yours, which I think is what jars here, if you want to help us a short accurate comment is what we need not a long eloquent life story.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
unless you are of the "inner circle" then you have no business here..

I see no inner circle.

I see some people who need to get out more but spend time posting on here, one being me. I hope I contribute positively most of the time.

If you feel left out, work that keyboard harder.

If you are out of sync with the majority of the posts, that's good, your a fee thinker not a sheep.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Shakespeare summed up the post and the thread in his classic comedy written circa 1598!

Eddie:Cool:

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Frank

If you do not like some people's opinion feel free to ignore it but never stop posting things that are interesting and helpful.I read your blog I do not see anything you did wrong other than perhaps putting some of it on here in the OP.
You need to be more thick skinned as you clearly have a way with words do not let a few people who comment stop you being a member here its a forum you have to expect things like that I am sure far more people enjoyed reading it than did not.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

Was this really called for?

I see nothing of an inner circle that you talk about.

I just wrote a four paragraph response, but just deleted it all, I can't be bothered to justify that bit if criticism with a response.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back