A salutary experience for Motorhomers... (1 Viewer)

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Funsters,

We just had a horrible experience and I have written it up on my blog.

If you are touring in Europe or contemplating please have a read.

Thanks to the many followers who are in contact with us.

Today we are moving into unknown territory...We are crossing from Italy into Slovenia. More later.

Http://www.frankhanna.com/blog/

Frank

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I am sorry to hear your bad news.

But without the bad and good news.
We would not get to read a very entertaining, and informative blog.

I thank you for the blog

Keep on writing

Be safe

Mel

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Interesting point of view.

We've been & if you think 10 minutes is a long time to check in in Europe, then try Spain or Germany or France.......

We found the site staff helpful & friendly. Ok, the internet back then , in 2010 was limited to a small hut, but available all day. Yes, the pitches were a bit muddy, but what do you expect in rainy weather?

The receptionist was right, you didn't have to stay there as there are dozens of sites within 20 kms.

As with most things in life, its all personal experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you forewarned is forearmed and I for one would rather go to a site with pleasant staff with a helpful attitude and there are plenty of those in Europe, so this one we will give a miss.

Thank you we are enjoying reading your blog.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
But you were in Italy !! There are many lovely people in Italy but they tend to have appalling customer care .

I have just come back from visiting my son in Plymouth and as usual had a meal at Positano ( do go if you are there superb food good price) the owner is Italian and he relayed a story of his last visit to his home country . It was a visit to the bank and although 4 people working and no customers except him he had to ask to be served and she said after my coffee !! So no different for Italians !! We had a similar experience in a post office in Agrigento on Sicily .

All European countries are similar and the further south you go the worse it gets but the lovely people you also meet make up for it !! I have has rude and crap service in the UK too. One girl served me without stopping her conversation with her friend on her mobile !!

OP
OP
F

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Camp Butterfly

Thank you all so much for your interest...Just a small point.

My main objective in the motorhome experience is to limit the bad experiences to a minimum. I try to do that by painstaking research. No amount of research will tell you of stupid wi fi "rules" or unhelpful and uncooperative staff.

I think I was careful to say that the bad weather was not their fault...The size of the pitches is and the extortionate charges for wi fi that doesn't work most certainly was.

My experience is reasonably substantial and I have never seen a worse reception. If you look at reviews of campsites invariably a good one will make reference to "friendly staff". It is hugely important.

I think the problem here is that by virtue of their location people will come no matter what. That is a sad symptom of "taking advantage".

Good travels.

Frank

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just wondering...

Is it ok to start a thread/post on Fun... give a "teaser"... but then redirect the reader to a different site to finish the post?

Seems like an attempt to get more traffic to that other site/blog to me.

Couldn't the post have been copy pasted here with an address of the blog address at the bottom?

JJ. :Cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
From the thread title I feared you had been gassed.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
F

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008

Thank you JJ

I am a professional journalist and my blog is there for a purpose. I see no point in re writing everything for a MHF post.

I would like to think my experiences in the blog are helpfull hence I offer the opportunity to read to Funsters. I am sure enough will tell me to stop if they so feel that way.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Frank

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
Not so horrible

Hi Funsters,

We just had a horrible experience and I have written it up on my blog.

If you are touring in Europe or contemplating please have a read.

Thanks to the many followers who are in contact with us.

Today we are moving into unknown territory...We are crossing from Italy into Slovenia. More later.

Http://www.frankhanna.com/blog/

Frank
I am astonished that one night without internet is described as a horrible experience. Why didn`t you just move on?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Sorry Frank...

Professional journalist or not

I feel you are using the popularity of Motorhome Fun built up by years of work by Jim and loyal Funsters as a quick way to boost the readers of your blog.

Surely if you were interested in contributing to this forum itself you could easily copy/paste your story to Fun as well rather than just try to redirect them...

JJ :Cool:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
I guess a lot of the trouble with the WiFi is the Italian Law that you have to be properly registered before using it with ID etc.

Cheers

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Was that it then?

I read this thinking you had been done over by a gang of Romanian gypsies armed with sleeping gas and A-frames!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I can't comment on the "post" as I have an inbuilt reluctance to being manipulated...

Funsters normally share their warnings here on the forum.

(It wasn't even a Motorhome Fun hosted blog)

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry Frank...

Professional journalist or not

I feel you are using the popularity of Motorhome Fun built up by years of work by Jim and loyal Funsters as a quick way to boost the readers of your blog.

Surely if you were interested in contributing to this forum itself you could easily copy/paste your story to Fun as well rather than just try to redirect them...

I ignore the blog for that very reason.:Angry:

OP
OP
F

frankhanna

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008

Hi JJ,

I respect your opinion.

In this case it is not correct.

Isn't the option always with the reader to ignore someone like me if thy feel as you do?

Anyway, I am off to Slovenia. Enjoy your day.

Frank

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I think you will find that JJ's opinion is correct - it's just your interpretation of it that is incorrect.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I looked at the thread just after it was posted, clicked on the link, clicked off - life's too short..................

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Am I missing something.

Does the OP earn money from the number that look at his blog.

If not what does he do wrong?

I enjoyed the blog.

Mel

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Am I missing something.

Does the OP earn money from the number that look at his blog.

If not what does he do wrong?

I enjoyed the blog.

Mel

The thread was titled :

A salutary experience for Motorhomers...

I would expect the post to be relevant, not a link to a blog, then have to look for the
'salutary experience'

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
Slightly different experience

I have a slightly different view of Camping Butterfly as we stayed there a couple of years back in a Static Caravan (pre motorhome days :Eeek:).

Found it to be a lovely site (no problem with staff :RollEyes:) and in a fantastic location. By chance, even got to see the Mille Miglia go through the local town of Peschiera (5 min walk away). Wow, what a treat :Smile:

On of those incredibly enjoyable and memorable holidays :Cool: .

Maria

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Unscrupulous website owners have been known to use very popular sites like Motorhomefun to publish the address of their blog on a regular basis. The popularity of MHF which has been constantly nurtured by Jim & Sian for a few years now is being used by others to increase the number of hits on their own website(s). This results in the website appearing higher up in the ranking of search engines. JJ calls it bad manners. I have a collection of stronger words:Angry:

My opinion:Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have never thought of this before, and I can see it was a draw me in headline, but then he is a journalist and a very informative and well written blog, if people are reading it via fun then that could be a good thing, like Keiths pub stop overs and all the other good information we get from being members of Jim's great forum.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It is not good netiquette to be sure. I don't follow his links for this reason.

It appears to me that he is using the forum as a means to advertise his site rather than being a member first and giving us helpful info along the way.

Each of the threads he has started except for the first one all publicise his website without contributing anything further to fun.

I turned my nose up after his first post like this unfortunately.

I would much prefer he was a full and contributing member, provides advice and then links to his blog in his signature. That is proper netiquette in my view.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back