A Sad Sign... did we bring it on ourselves?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by JJ, Aug 2, 2010.

1. JJ

JJ Funster

PS. This looks as though it is aimed at "tuggers" but the one on the way into Cabanas had the word "Autocaravaners" under it...

JJ... :cry:

PS. I stayed in Cabanas (just off the road) for 24 hrs and 3 hrs on the Grande Praia car park and no one seemed worried... maybe if there had been twenty vans it would have been a different kettle of sardines... :Wink:

Attached Files:

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

is there a link or is it just your sad JJ?

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

sardines these fish are terrible parkers JJ thanks for highlighting it

only joking a man made problem:Doh:

4. JJ

JJ Funster

Cripes!!! I clicked the Post button and instantly realised I had forgotten the attachment... immediately clicked "edit" and put the photo up but in those nano seconds you swooped down on me and my mistake...:cry:

I hope you are that quick on the marathon... :Rofl1:

JJ :Wink:

5. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

JJ looking at the picture noticed your flyer:Wink:

It would make a brilliant meet if you were to run a bull fight on it:boxing::clap:

how about it then?:coolthumb::clap:

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

No JJ just practicing my Heckling skills, us Hecklers have to be quick you know :Wink:

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I read the other day that this year is the 50th anniversary of the Caravan Sites (etc) Act and I was just wondering this morning whether the attitude in this country really is so different from others or whether, as a result of population density, unregulated camping simply manifested itself as a problem so much earlier in the UK than in mainland European countries.

Graham

8. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I think that Graham has hit the nail on the head, I don't think that anybody minds the odd motorhome for the odd night wild camped on its own providing nothing is left behind, but this so rarely happens. Once someone starts using a spot before you know it there are vans there continually and many long stayers.

It is not surprising that the locals protest to councils and a ban is enforced, I think if placed in the same position, with many of these spots looking an eyesore, I in all honestly would do the same.

I know if I find a spot will never tell anybody about it because you know in a short while it will be gone.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  9. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Things have moved on quite considerably since the 1960 Act was contemplated. At that time it was common to just go off and dig a hole to use the toilet and fill it in again. Similarly waste water was disposed of in ways that could and did foul water catchments. Cooking was mainly done on open fires outside of the van.

The Act was brought about to prevent this fouling and damage being caused to beauty spots. Getting people into sites where facilities were provided was seen then the answer. This has again reared its ugly head with the right to wildcamp in Scotland. Now on the shores of Loch Lomond action has had to be taken to bring camping into sites again.

Today we cook in the van or on a barbi we do not leave scars on the ground. We we have superior sanitary arangements and use toilets in the van and dispose of our waste in suitable places. Our Motorhomes are capable of being used for days without the need for outside services. The services we do need are simple.

Campsites have developed mainly to meet the needs of touring caravans that do not have storage tanks built in and so need facilities be be on hand. They have however been made more and more luxurious to the extent that they are becoming to expensive to use and people are resorting to wilding again.

We noticed in France using Aires. The French crowed together other nationalities also did this to some extent but if you saw a van parked away from the other it usually had a GB plate on it. It seems that some people like to be crowed in on top of each other while others prefere to go it alone.

10. alan

alan Funster

No Parking.

They seem to have put a lot of these no autocaravana signs up in Spain but I think its just for the summer or fiesta weekends.If we see other people parked we usually parkup , we would'nt park up alone in spain on the coast we would'nt feel safe even with 2 Gsds and a cat.
    Alan:thumb:

11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Wilding without causing problems and drawing attention to yourself is generally a matter of common sense. Too many vans for too long and the result is inevitable. Darn great sod off notices and once up they seldom come down. Tis the beginning of the end of the world as we know it.
    now where's me tent:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: