Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
What do other members use to quieten down any rattling doors, drawers and fittings in their mohos? I found that we had several on ours and bought a couple of packs of self adhesive felt pads then cut them to size for various areas.(they're about 1/8" thick.) Seems to have worked so far-taking it on a trip out next week so we'll see how well or otherwise they work in practice.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I find these work best...

IMG_0740.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our first van, a new Swift, rattled so much I used to go round with a box of wedges before every trip.
I used rubber wedges that are usually used for sash windows.

Richard.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We've got a noisy turbo at the moment so the back of the van could fall off and we wouldn't notice it. :rofl::rofl:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
No such thing as a rattle free motorhome, when you think what you have stored in there and the state of the roads. We use our cushions in cupboards etc, but still the rattles are there.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We ran foam window draft excluder around the cupboard door closures.

It reduced the noise level a lot but does nothing for the noise from cutlery etc.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We wrap cutlery and plates etc. in the non slip stuff when on the move, cups are wedged in a home made "crate" lined with polystyrene. Bigger stuff, saucepans, grill pan in bubble wrap collected from purchases over the years. Oven shelves wedged tight with small blocks of solid poly. Doesn't stop every little noise but helps, and no, it doesn't take long to pack it away again.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
We ran foam window draft excluder around the cupboard door closures.

It reduced the noise level a lot but does nothing for the noise from cutlery etc.

I managed to solve the rattling cutlery problem by getting some that didn't have stainless steel handles (they're made from a sort of solid rubberised material) and then storing them handles down in a plastic protein shaker cup.

No more rattles - well at least not from the cutlery anyway. The blind cassette in the big sliding door window has to have a foam pad put in at the top and bottom to stop it from rattling.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Our one is very quiet. I spent ages taking the cupboards apart and reinstalling using modesty blocks and automotive foam plus rubber strips used for window installation and foam with high adhesive tape.

It can be done but it will take time and effort but we now have a van that is far better than when it left the factory.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We wrap cutlery and plates etc. in the non slip stuff when on the move, cups are wedged in a home made "crate" lined with polystyrene. Bigger stuff, saucepans, grill pan in bubble wrap collected from purchases over the years. Oven shelves wedged tight with small blocks of solid poly. Doesn't stop every little noise but helps, and no, it doesn't take long to pack it away again.
I prefer silicon mats to bubble wrap as it has a double use. The thick ones are heatproof mats and can be used to put down a hot pan, the thin ones can be used to cover an nearby soft furnishings.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
cutlery wraps...
Orange-with-white-dots-2.jpg

saucepan protection...
9950505-Wenko-Scratch-Protection-Liners-for-Pans-or-Bakeware-%E2%80%93-6-Pieces.png

for squeaks I take apart cabinets, hinges, door and anything that might rub together and apply a film of silicon grease. It doesn't stain, or absorb and is food safe...
1667365-40.jpg

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
anything big or bulky gets a few turns of this mini pallet wrap so all the ovenware, racks and grill pans are bundled up together with dishcloths between...
Link Removed

OP
OP
sewinlynne2

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
No such thing as a rattle free motorhome, when you think what you have stored in there and the state of the roads. We use our cushions in cupboards etc, but still the rattles are there.
ROADS? SHEER LUXURY!!! WE DO NOT HAVE 'ROADS' in WALES. I ONCE KNEW SOMEONE WHO HAD BEEN DOWN A ROAD BUT, HE MOVED AWAY. The 'cart tracks' we have down here are too rough for animals so they make vehicles use them instead.

Only want to try to get rid of the ones already built in, not the junk we aimlessly transport about. cheers.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
All our crockery is separated with that non slip matting stuff and the mugs and glasses are standing on the same but not touching, cutlery is chucked in the draw and never a problem, sometimes a rattle from the table but usually only starts after 100 or 150 miles, dashboard has a squeak over the bumps sometimes but all in pretty quiet, mind you I have been fiddling with it for over 4 years.

Martin

OP
OP
sewinlynne2

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
cutlery wraps...
Orange-with-white-dots-2.jpg

saucepan protection...
9950505-Wenko-Scratch-Protection-Liners-for-Pans-or-Bakeware-%E2%80%93-6-Pieces.png

for squeaks I take apart cabinets, hinges, door and anything that might rub together and apply a film of silicon grease. It doesn't stain, or absorb and is food safe...
1667365-40.jpg
Love the 6 pointed pan protectors, can you name the source please??

OP
OP
sewinlynne2

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
We really don't have a problem - although we do have a Burstner:hi5:
Been in one of those, oh dear.( and he prides himself on it) How can I put it politely? WHAT A BLOODY RACKET!!! I have to say ours is much quieter, before I even started. My aim is to make it pleasantly quiet enough, to be contented enough, not to be distracted while driving it and so far, it is moving in the right direction and I must say; thanks to those members who have provided positive replies. A very large thumbs up to all of you.

Last edited:

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We put a layer of camp mat over the cutlery.
and I gag the dog and Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back