A Question For All Rottweiler Owners

Discussion in 'Pets' started by DanielFord, Jun 10, 2015.

1. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

After a long and brave battle with the after effects of poisoning, our beloved Labrador Bonnie passed away at the weekend.

My wife and I have always wanted a Rottweiler, and we are totally in love with the breed, consequently, we believe that our next family member will be a rottie. Our question is, how well do they adapt to motorhome life? They are after all big dogs who love their excercise, which obviously when the destination is reached they can have. Do they deal with the journeys OK?

Experiences both good and bad welcomed, we want to make sure we have covered all bases before we take the plunge.

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

from experience, they are not particularly heat tolerant and tend to drool a lot when in cars/vans

gorgeous affectionate and loyal dogs, which as you mention need masses of exercise. to me though, a little bit large to take away in a motorhome, plus some camp sites are bigoted against the breed

• Like Like x 1
  3. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

Friends of ours have one and he doesnt travel too well. I do agree with the point about biggot sites as a lot of sites do ban what they class as dangerous dogs without any knowledge of the breed. It is such a shame as my experience is rotties are such softies and my little cairn bosses toby around!

4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

The drooling we can deal with, and our Lab really didn't like the heat, so we are well prepared for that. Let her loose near an ice covered lake and she'd be in it like a shot though :D
    We have already experienced a lot of bigotry from ill informed people telling us that a rottweiler will eat our daughter, seriously!
    The travel point is the important one, if they don't travel well, that may be a no no. I shall await more replies.

5. JJ

JJ Funster

Slightly off-topic but I was one of those people who thought Rottweilers were dangerous, horrid dogs until I met one belonging to a hippy Dutch motorhomer (Pete) and his girlfriend at Praia da Rocha last year.

Simply the best trained, friendliest yet respectful, dog (bitch actually) I have ever met.

And Pete didn't need to lock his stuff up every five minutes. The dog sat outside in the shade and nothing got pinched.

Pete only had a small van but Miss Rotty seemed well happy.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  6. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Even more off topic @JJ I love Praia Da Rocha, lovely area.

Back on topic, we never go abroad with our dogs, they stay at home, the pet passport just seems an almighty faff, and Mother loves looking after our dogs, so they stay home while we go away.

7. Jackyboy61

Jackyboy61 Funster

My daughter has a roty and it does not travel well, it craps and pukes everywhere whether in the back of the disco or in there horse wagon they are not good travellers ,buy yourself a ridgeback they travel well and can stand the heat and they are excellent guard dogs but very gentle dogs to have around the Motorhome and the house

8. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Are you psychic? Ridgeback was our other breed on the short list! (y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jackyboy61

Jackyboy61 Funster

They also have a wire hair dachshund , but that goes to sleep as soon as the engine starts , anyway good luck with whatever you purchase

10. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

Ridgebacks are gorgeous. The guy who runs our kennels has one.

11. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Do not tell em it is a Rottie!!! Tell em it is a German Cattle Dog!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If you plan on travelling abroad check out which dogs are allowed and those which can go but then have to be muzzled etc.

I've only ever met lovely friendly Rotties, also Staffies, but both breeds have restrictions placed on them abroad.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Which is technically the correct description :D

14. Zajacp

Zajacp

We had one a few years ago and it was the most loyal dog we have ever had,to the point where we became unapproachable .he used to travel with me in my work van with out any problems,but no one could go near my van.when he reached the age of 3 he became to dominant and would become aggressive .talking to other breaders this is the age when you know weather you have a good dog or a unpredictable one . Good luck and don't be put off by any comments.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I know somebody who had 4 Rotties
    They all died at an early age from cancer
    Apparently they don't have very long life spans

16. mwk

mwk Funster

Lexi is our second Rottie. She is now 12. Travellers with us in the UK never had an issue at any camp site She was with us at the Thetford rally. She loves to travel. However seen as a dangerous dog in Spain. In France they are seen as guard dogs which is a class lower than dangerous dog. In France you are supposed to register them in every village you go to. This is why we have not taken her with to France

17. buttons

buttons Funster

Strange...we have a Ridgeback Rottie cross, the most fantastic dog ever had but he can be a real handful at times. Extremely obedient intelligent and trainable but unbelievable escape artists and very territorial. Once established in a home he will guard it 24/7. He is not a good traveler though, he hates it.
    Bruno 2.PNG

18. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Rottweilers are dangerous, vicious evil dogs.......

Look what happened to me in Rottweil, Bavaria a few weeks ago :eek:

P1240049.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. karl c

karl c Funster

We have a Rottie cross He is great loves the RV and lets us no if there is anyone around.:)

Attached Files:

• b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      98.1 KB
      Views:
  20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I don't blame him ... you shouldn't be giving him a karate chop in the mush! :D