DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is not the greatest picture but I am still playing with my new camera, which has the ability to take several pictures in succession with different aperture settings so they can be combined into one HDR image. The camera can also make an HDR image automatically but I wanted to try the manual approach. The first picture below has the foreground more or less correctly exposed, but the sky is a bit over exposed;
P8090011.JPG

So I took a second picture with a darker sky and then using Photoshop Elements 12 I cut the foreground out of this dark sky picture:
P8090008-cropped.jpg

and then overlaid this onto the first picture with the correctly exposed foreground to produce this composite image:
Test-HDR1.jpg

Hardly ground breaking stuff but I was impressed with the edge detection in PSE 12, which you can see in the second picture how it has cut out the trees. It is a lot better than the tool available on PSE 8 which was the previous version I had. The image above is OK but being fussy I then took away the power lines:
Test-HDR2.jpg

I just need to find a more interesting subject to try this out on! These were also done with JPGs and I want try playing with RAW images, which was the main reason for buying PSE 12.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
This is not the greatest picture but I am still playing with my new camera, which has the ability to take several pictures in succession with different aperture settings so they can be combined into one HDR image. The camera can also make an HDR image automatically but I wanted to try the manual approach. The first picture below has the foreground more or less correctly exposed, but the sky is a bit over exposed;
P8090011.JPG

So I took a second picture with a darker sky and then using Photoshop Elements 12 I cut the foreground out of this dark sky picture:
P8090008-cropped.jpg

and then overlaid this onto the first picture with the correctly exposed foreground to produce this composite image:
Test-HDR1.jpg

Hardly ground breaking stuff but I was impressed with the edge detection in PSE 12, which you can see in the second picture how it has cut out the trees. It is a lot better than the tool available on PSE 8 which was the previous version I had. The image above is OK but being fussy I then took away the power lines:
Test-HDR2.jpg

I just need to find a more interesting subject to try this out on! These were also done with JPGs and I want try playing with RAW images, which was the main reason for buying PSE 12.

You lost me before the end of the second sentence DB, such is my photographic numbnuttery, but cracking pics.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You lost me before the end of the second sentence DB, such is my photographic numbnuttery, but cracking pics.
HDR stands for high dynamic range and is a way of making images with greater impact. My attempts are trivial compared to examples you can find on the Web, but early days and I will keep playing with the method.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
HDR stands for high dynamic range and is a way of making images with greater impact. My attempts are trivial compared to examples you can find on the Web, but early days and I will keep playing with the method.

Have a look at Photomatix software. Also,if you shoot RAW files you can create your different exposures,to some extent,from one image and then let Photomatix do the Tonal Mapping.
Mike

Reactions: DBK

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Friday we had our topping out ceremony even though the roof is not quite finished, so I went up this morning and took a shot........

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
No, it's a 10p piece, it was all we could muster between all the workers and the client with 2014 on it.

The tanner wouldn't have been minted in 2014, I imagine they would have stopped minting that around 1969 or 70, though we found a 1961 tanner in one part of the old works and a 1981 (penny) tightwad on the other chimney when the place was last re-roofed.

Whenever my firm topped-out we always used a half crown or a florin at least.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Just taken, at home in Suffolk....amazingly eerie looking sky

Attachments

• 20140810_153252.jpg
    20140810_153252.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 124

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
No, it's a 10p piece, it was all we could muster between all the workers and the client with 2014 on it.

The tanner wouldn't have been minted in 2014, I imagine they would have stopped minting that around 1969 or 70, though we found a 1961 tanner in one part of the old works and a 1981 (penny) tightwad on the other chimney when the place was last re-roofed.

Whenever my firm topped-out we always used a half crown or a florin at least.

So your inflation hasn't gone up much then.

images
A Florin, or two bob peice, is the same as 10p, for those younger ones on here. :LOL:

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Looks like time to batten down the hatches Rosie, be safe:eek:

Thanks. ...we had a hail storm but it's sunny with blue skies now. Very strange weather.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back