Exp
Since 2003
How about the 4 categories

People
animals/pets
landscapes
fun

One photo per person per category.
I feel members would then post what they feel is their best photo in each category and the members could vote for what they feel is the best photo in each case? ::bigsmile:

Like this format Ken, however I feel that the judging should be carried out by a selected panel.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Like this format Ken, however I feel that the judging should be carried out by a selected panel.

Sounds OK but I thought having the membership vote would be more inclusive and may encourage more to take part. :thumb: I agree members should not be able to vote for their own photo though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Never apologise for being lighthearted John............after all FUN is the name of the game on here :winky: :roflmto:

You never know John, one of those might win, wasn't there a movie that did quite well called "My Left Foot"?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
How about the 4 categories

People
animals/pets
landscapes
fun

One photo per person per category.
I feel members would then post what they feel is their best photo in each category and the members could vote for what they feel is the best photo in each case? ::bigsmile:

Hate most people :Angry:
don't have pets :Doh:
Like landscapes :thumb:
don't have much fun :cry:

How about just having photos based around travels in the van.

Ralph

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Folks,

Photo comp sounds good to me!

The only bit I would add is don't ask for people to enter every section. If like me you love photography but don't always have time for it, you may find it a burden to produce or look up photos for four categories. I can however think of the odd photo that I may want to enter.

I would add that as suggested by Jim? you should use a fixed panel of judges. This will work much simpler than everyone voting. But hey that is just my opinion.

By the way, no one went to the Focus On Imaging exhibition at the NEC. Brilliant you guys missed out!

The best bit was seeing the amazing commercial printers that had spat out 8ft prints of scantily clad models, that everyone was walking over! Tried my best to keep people off so I could take them home, but the sales staff kept frowning at me!

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My thoughts on the competition so far, all open to ridicule or debate:Smile:

I think just three or four simple (to be decided) rounds, Say..

1. My Motorhome Holiday

2. My Motorhome

3. My Favourite Campsite

4. Motorhome Fun

All photos sent to an email address. a max of 5 photos per round. The photos will be uploaded to a private web page (only admin will know who took which photo). and a panel of three or four will pick the best 20/30/ or 50 photos from each round.

These finalists will be published on a public page and all members allowed to vote by way of a poll (open poll so you can see who voted)

Once the voting is over the names will be published under each photo or placed in the gallery.

It would be nice to get a sponsor, so we can have a decent prize.

Hows it sound so far?

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim,

Sounds simple!

Chris

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Surely a photo competition is all can see them all?

It depends on how many we get John, a hundred finalists is probably manageable, but anymore and its difficult to display them fairly. On motorhomefacts I never had the time to see all the photos in a comp. unless I was missing something it seems those at the front of the album got more marks because more people saw them, Maybe they rotated. I'm not sure why, but I never seemed to be able to get to the end of an album, sometimes bored but mostly because of my limited bandwidth.

I will of course go with the flow, its for the members to decide how it is run and judged:Smile:

I have been looking at our own gallery and I can add some voting functionality, but the limitation is that members only get one vote per album/round. Votes though are displayed under the photo along with the contestants name, neither of which is really a good idea, but I can add it if you like.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
It depends on how many we get John, a hundred finalists is probably manageable, but anymore and its difficult to display them fairly. On motorhomefacts I never had the time to see all the photos in a comp. unless I was missing something it seems those at the front of the album got more marks because more people saw them, Maybe they rotated. I'm not sure why, but I never seemed to be able to get to the end of an album, sometimes bored but mostly because of my limited bandwidth.

I will of course go with the flow, its for the members to decide how it is run and judged:Smile:

I have been looking at our own gallery and I can add some voting functionality, but the limitation is that members only get one vote per album/round. Votes though are displayed under the photo along with the contestants name, neither of which is really a good idea, but I can add it if you like.

Hi Jim that's the reason I suggested 4 categories ONE photo per member per category. One go to give it your best shot in each category. ::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sounds a great idea, count me in maybe a vote on the catagories max 5 max entry 1 per catagory my suggested catagories are.

landscape
animals
fun
total cockup
Manipulated

As ia photographic and not a computer manipulation competition manipulation should be a seperated catagory otherwise some people will have an unfair advantage.
that's my twopen'th.

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds a great idea, count me in maybe a vote on the catagories max 5 max entry 1 per catagory my suggested catagories are.

landscape
animals
fun
total cockup
Manipulated

As ia photographic and not a computer manipulation competition manipulation should be a seperated catagory otherwise some people will have an unfair advantage.
that's my twopen'th.

Hi Wildman,

That opens up a complete can of worms!

Old school photographers also used to manipulate the photo in the processing stage. Indeed in the late 60's I used to great pleasure at boarding school doing some really strange things with our photos!!!

I take most of my pictures in RAW which allows me in a similar fashion to make decisions later about white balance etc.

As a judge on two other forums I can tell you that it is not about the quality of the manipulation but the ability of the photographer to capture a truly interesting photograph. How a individual interprets the photograph is of course a different matter.

For example on one forum I have been amazed at how others have seen photos that I would not even rate. That does not mean they or I are correct or of course wrong. Just happily different!

Best regards

Chris

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Every photo there ever was has been manipulated somehow not true Jim. There are a number of ways. A pinhole camera records straight onto a piece of light sensitive piece of paper and is not manipulated just processed.

However I take your point and even the simpliest camera these days manipulates the image to get what it thinks is the best photo.

stew

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So I could not manipulate the size of the hole, the distance to the film plane, the speed of the film, the length of the exposure.::bigsmile:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
well if we go to that length we have to say every image full stop is manipulated as everyones eyes and indeed brain sees things and manipulates things differently to the next person.

So what is the correct image?

stew

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That's what I said, every photograph is the result of manipulation of some kind, show me a "pure photo" and I will probably be able to give you at least 4 major ways in which the photographer and or the printer has manipulated the image.

Then there are those that say that as long as it hasn't been "photoshop'd" but even the cheapest camera "photoshops" a photo in the camera as it chooses a white balance among another hundred calculations before it delivers the jpeg.

So I stand by my "Every photo there ever was has been manipulated somehow". I think the Purists are just not seeing the whole picture. A photograph is a photograph, all are the result of manipulation::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Oh dear forget I ever mentioned manipulation, didnt realise I had opened such a can of worms so strike the off of my list of suggestions lets just go with the best tits and have done with it
Feathered variety of course.

roverman1

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
leeds west yorks
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
If you are like me you will enjoy photography whilst on your camping travels. Motorhomefacts run a successful competition that gets quite a few entries and is very popular.

Shall we have one here next year?
saw this strange looking camper in withensea on wednesday

Attachments

• holiday at withensea in july 2008 017.jpg
    holiday at withensea in july 2008 017.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 18

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries