A Newbie Question - Water Tank Filling On A Cl

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Millie's Mum and Dad, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Millie's Mum and Dad

Millie's Mum and Dad Funster

We've now had two mini trips away in our new to us MH :):):) and on both occasions we had a water tap within blue hose length from the van.
    What do you all do when staying on a CL where the water is a bit of a distance. We sold our Aquarolls with our caravan, and wouldn't have room to store one anyway. Do you drive over to the tap? or what?

2. brynric

brynric Funster

We have 2 hosepipes of different lengths, it's very rare we can't get close enough to a tap to fill up. I know many favour a watering can and a walk.
    Our full tank (120lts) lasts about 3 days so we usually fill as we arrive or leave a site.

3. beacons

beacons Funster

You can go to tap or keep tank topped up
    we have a callapsable bucket (from b&m)
    &a funnel with a short flexible hose atta hed to it ( bought ours from a car acessorie shop) just feed nozzle in water filler
    It works for us .hope this helps.

4. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Just drive over to the tap. One of the MH advantages over a Caravan is mobility. Plan B : carry a watering can and do a bit of walking. Plan C : abandon the tea washing up etc. and drink beer and save the water!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

My Motorhome has wheels & an engine, so I drive to the tap.:D
    Much easier that messing about with an aquaroll (still have one in the shed & wastemaster must get around to flogging them).
    Carry 3m, 7m hose plus a 20m roll flat one for the odd tap can't get close too (used once in 7 years), can all be coupled together if needed.

I will own up to having a couple of 20 Lt containers & submersible pump in the van garage for topping up, but only use them when wilding and several miles from a water tap, as our van only has a 100Lt tank.

6. Gin Palace

Gin Palace Read Only Funster

As newbies I asked this question only a few weeks ago the conclusion was if I have a Aquaroll a hosepipe of different lengths a watering can and collapsible water carriers with a trolley I should be ok! :giggler:
    Each to their own we are going to carry a hosepipe and a couple of collapsible 15ltr water carriers toolstation were selling them at just over £2 each in their sale.(y)

7. Simson

Simson Funster

Hi :hi: We carry a 20m hose plus a short hose and a collapsible water carrier, but most of the time we drive to the tap (if there is one ) when we arrive, no problem:clap:.

8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I pretty much always drive. Unless I am leaving the next day in which case I will do a few runs with the 10L watering can. I carry 3 different types of hose. A short normal blue one. A coiled one and a roll flat one. On one site I am known to be incredibly lazy and have the whole lot out all connected back to back. The owner had a giggle first time he saw this.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  9. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We drive to the tap if possible. If not we've got an aquaroll and a whale pump.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I find a small 10 litre watering can from wilkos very handy as the spout unscrews and fits inside the can .(y)

11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We carry 2x long hoses + some shorter ones but it is still easier to top-up with a watering can (10l).

12. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I walk and use a 10ltr container to top up..
    Gives me some exercise and more than often end up chatting along the way... :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

We have a couple of hoses of different lengths but I tend to always use the 2 watering cans we carry. The tap is not usually far away and I can put enough water in the tank for a few days in 3 trips to the tap.

Paul

14. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

2 x 5litre containers and 2 legs work for me, I never put in more than about 6 containers at any one time and am never more than half full to save weight, plus I get some exercise and have had many an informative chinwag as well.

15. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Always take the Aquaroll in the shower. Much prefer one walk and chat to about six! A couple of sites we have stayed on (and yes, we do like to break up the constant travelling with a few days relaxing on a site!) would have made driving to the tap really inconvenient, so the Aquaroll is perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Millie's Mum and Dad

Thanks for all your comments. But if you take an aquaroll, how do you get the water from it into the water tank? 29 or 40 litres is quite a weight to lift.

17. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

Fill the tank when you arrive, top up with a can/watering can or just secure any fragile so and drive over to tap.
    When people use an Aquaroll they either have an external pick up or they use a separate pump! Trouble is an Aquaroll is a big thing to cart about unless of course you have a garage!

18. Millie's Mum and Dad

Which we don't. But you've all reassured me that it won't look daft to drive over to the tap! Either that or string a number of hoses together!

19. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

We carry a 5m hose and 2 10L plastic Jerry cans with which to fill the tank based on circumstances.

20. Pete D.

Pete D. Funster

I load 25 litres for travelling and drive to the tap on site to fill up on arrival. I carry a 25 litre water container and a fold up luggage carrier which I fill if needed and load on to moho with a Whale submersible pump - simples.